Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 02:02 AM   #1
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

how old does a person have to be when they stop playing pc games?
i'm curious about what people think about this, i felt the age should be between 20-30.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
mad=dog

Errr. PC Games have developed enormously since the digital age started. I would have agreed with you if the media had not changed. A 30 year old doesn't gain much from playing Bubble Bobble (apart from nostalgia).
The reason why the games mainly have been developed for people in the age group 15-20 is that this group of people simply have more available cash to spend. They don't have any economical obligations in form of mortgage and kids and they usually have reasonably well paid part time jobs. I short - everybody wants their allowance. The music industry is also predominantly geared to generate consumption from this group.
However since we have free market economy this market will rapidly saturate. YAWN. Yet another first person shooter. Let me finish the one I'm playing will you? So the game industry logically starts to explore the other hereforeto less lucrative markets. One such market is people above the age of 30. Frankly we couldn't be bothered with Counter Strike and all those games without any shred of substance. We frown at first person shooters. We want content. This is not a recent thing either. Leisure Suit Larry is the first game series I know of that specifically aimed at adults as main consumer.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Mad

Quote:
Originally posted by thecarrotdude:
I haven't stopped yet, and I'm 50 years young. Been playing RPG's and adventure/puzzle and strategy games since PC's became affordable in the early 80's. But I have a 'insider' reason, when I joined the Navy in '75 they said "boy, we're gonna teach you how to fix computers" and they did! No consoles,though.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
i'm curious about what people think about this, i felt the age should be between 20-30.
Heh, according to you I should stop playing in 2 months... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Why stop something that you have fun doing ?
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Hey, I'm never gonna get that old!! I'm 13 ˝

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 05:20 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

I stopped with any new games pretty much altogether when I was 22; every attempt to recreate that old gaming experience have come down to nothing. All I occasionally do sometimes is replay some old games, but even then it's at best for a day or so. Not much of a gamer anymore, though I was never really much of one to begin with - some race games en rts games aside, it's been Black Isle/Bioware games who really got me into it (most notably Baldurs Gate), and my interest just died with their demise.

If there's ever going to be a BGIII, and if it's anything like the old game, I'll make sure to pick it up, though. I loved that game engine.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bithron:
Hey, I'm never gonna get that old!! I'm 13 ˝

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Okay, but you've only got six months of GameCube playing left, so enjoy them.
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
If you're still breathing you should still be playing. That's all there is to it.

You're never too old to have fun, and once you are you might as well die right there.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Lessee...I'm 36 and have been gaming since I was around 8 or 9. I intend to continue to game so long as they produce games I like.

I know of one lady on another board who is 67 and still loves her Morrowind, BG, IWD, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think it's cool to game as long as it's fun for you.

But then, being a Metallica fan, I'm gonna be a 90-year-old head banger one day. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-02-2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Lady Sedai ]
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
We don't know. PCs have only been around for about 25 years so no one's reached that age yet.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote