Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Question Mark Would someone please explain .......

in simple terms how you determine what class to take in which order when you multi-class?

For example, say I want to build a Cleric Champion of Torm (not that I really do, but this is hypothetical ). When should I take levels in Cleric versus levels in Champ? Is there a better order, timing, rhyme or reason?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
roddybug
Manshoon

Light Bulb Re: Would someone please explain .......

I tend to roughly work out the character on paper before logging on. But as a quick guide;

At 1st level always take the class which gets the most skill points.

Check which skills are unique to the classes and if you want to use any of them make sure that the final levels have at least one level of that class. Keep a bank of skill points ready for later.

Drag out your HotU manual and check the bonus epic feats that the classes get and how frequently. DON'T use normal feats to acquire these, just hold on until you have the prerequisites and a bonus feat turns up. This may mean sticking to one class for a bit longer than you'd like.

When multi-classing before epic level your Base Attack Bonus will drop unless they are all fighter types. To minimize this I recommend taking classes in fours, i.e. 4/16, 8/12, 4/4/12 or 4/8/8.

When I am leveling I tend to just go with option provided unless it is not part of the plan. Just to avoid one extra click!

I hope that this is of some help
roddybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Default Re: Would someone please explain .......

You have covered most of the required advice, Roddybug.

In your example, Garnet, you have a “base class” (one that you can take at level one)- the Cleric, and a prestige class (a class that has prerequisites)- the Champion of Torm.

The CoT requires your character to be non-evil, have a BAB of +7, and to have a Weapon Focus feat in a melee weapon. Your cleric/CoT would have to begin first level as a cleric; choose or become a non-evil alignment, pick up a Weapon Focus feat (at level 1, 3, 6, or 9); and raise her BAB to +7 (level 10 cleric).

So the first 10 levels of your character cannot be anything but cleric if you are using only those two classes.

A great time waster tool for creating characters using Excel can be found here
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Javan, I understand all about prerequisites of the Prestige classes. Those two were pulled straight from the air without much thought (actually, I think Sister Bubbles might be that combo).

My question had more to do with if you were dual or triple-classing, how do you determine which class to boost at levelling time? If I were building a rogue ranger (hmmm, got one of those, too ), is it absolutely crucial to level rogue at certain times rather than ranger and vice versa? If I choose the 'wrong' one, is the character doomed to mediocracy?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

So much depends on the build and what you want to achieve.

As a rule, if I am making a fighter/prestige class build I make sure I take the permitted 10 prestige levels before my character reaches lvl 20. I can then take fighter levels again and get the extra epic character bonus feats that go with it.

Add something like rouge or monk to the combination and I would save skill points and take my last level of either at level 40 and top up the skills I want.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote