Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I suppose this should be in the movies section, but I really want people to see this, as its not really about the movie, well it is but it isnt [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyways, as some of you know, they are making a Doom movie, and as some of you also know, there are a few changes.....

(Got these from megagames)
a)Taking place on an unknown planet. (ie: No Mars) What was so hard about the location of this movie? Doom takes place on Mars, yet the movie does not. As far as movie sets go, one planet looks the same as the other, so there's simply no excuse to leave this out.

b) Having nothing to do with Hell, instead having the monsters and zombies origin being the result of a virus. This completely undermines the point of the game entirely, the Doom pivotal plot point is that Hell invades, without it the movie is not Doom and can't even pretend to be Doom. Rather it's just a rehash of a tired sci-fi cliche with the Doom name for a title. If we wanted to see a simple horror-sci-fi movie, we'd watch Event Horizon.

c) Supposedly involving S.W.A.T. Team members instead of Space Marines. As stated before, something so simple as what the name of the uniformed soldiers in the movie didn't even try hold continuity. There's no reason or purpose to change Space Marines, which is Doom's staple, to something different. It's just bad taste and bad scripting.

d) Having no UAC (Union Aerospace Commission) involved in the movie. Though unconfirmed, this would be another key element of the Doom saga left out.

e) Several minor issues, such as the BFG (Big F***ing Gun) now renamed to Bio Force Gun. As well as all the great DooM Hellspawn such as the Pinky Demon, the Baron of Hell and several others being played by Human characters, and given uncreative names like "Pinky" and "Goat" and "Baron." This is not only uncreative, but rather creating a movie without the Doom plotline and letting it stand "as-is", this movie makes deliberate nods and references to the game, like it's trying so hard to be true to the game, but falls short because the plot has nothing to do with the game at all. Why even bother calling the personnel by gimmicky little nicknames so we can tell what they'll mutate to? Again, just bad scripting and character casting.

So PLEASE head over to http://www.dmop.co.nr/ and sign the petition [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
They already have over 3500 signatures.

YOU HAVE THE POWER [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 12-16-2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Old 12-16-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, I don't think a movie based on a game with an original script of *bang* *bang* 'ugh! arrrrrgh!' should ever have been considered for production anyway (I recall with a shudder of horror and disgust the loathsome monstrosities that were the 'Street Fighter' and 'Mortal Kombat' films). Just let this god-awful project crash and burn as nature intends...
Old 12-16-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Just let this god-awful project crash and burn as nature intends...
I don't think you'll have to worry about that. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2004, 01:16 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

uhh..I see this as another movie based on games trying to derail away from the storyline. What can't they just follow the ones in the games? Is that so hard to do?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:33 AM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

Hey Hiero, Mortal Kombat was an awesome movie... [img]smile.gif[/img]

And when did a online petition on something make a diffrence again...?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:41 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm all for them inventing a story, but they could at least follow the setting. They are just pissing off the fans. You know, their target audience...
Old 12-17-2004, 04:28 AM   #7
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, i played the doom games and liked them, and think they're just going to kill the movie, especially when they're casting The Rock as the main man.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:50 AM   #8
Lucern
Quintesson

I forgot Doom had a plot

They should use what plot they've got at least. I guess people are cheaper than CG monsters, but really...
Old 12-17-2004, 05:00 AM   #9
Sigmar
Unicorn

Signed it.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:27 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
And when did a online petition on something make a diffrence again...?
Well, if you look here you will see that Dave Callaham (Screenplay writer) has sent a letter addressing the fans, because of the impact the numerous petitions and uproar.
I still think we should kill him and MOST of the people that make films based on VIDEO GAMES.

[ 12-17-2004, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]