Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-08-2002, 11:24 AM   #21
Epona
Zartan

Not a huge fan of cookies or cakes really. Although I do love baking! Cookies with chunks (not chips) of chocolate, fresh out of the oven, all melting and gooey! And cakes too, love to bake them.

In fact I love cooking, no two ways about it.

My favourite food is mushrooms - garlic mushrooms especially, or sauteed in white wine and wholegrain dijon mustard.... mmmmmm.... Kale is good too, and as far as sweet things go, I really like thick Greek yoghurt with honey, that is my idea of dessert (or breakfast!)

And what do I hate? Meat is the obvious one, being a vegetarian, but I also hate aubergine (eggplant) when it crops up in dishes, but like it if stuffed and baked, or battered and deepfried served with plum sauce.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:50 AM   #22
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Okay! Knock it off! You people are making me HUNGRY!!! (hehehehe)

Epona, you've given me some ideas for dinner tonight.

And although I don't eat much in the line of sweets outside of yogurt or sugar-free ice cream, a really good, fresh, warm cookie is always a treat. [img]smile.gif[/img] My faves are the oatmeal (plain), oatmeal/chocolate chip or chocolate chunk. But I got bored one day some months ago and made pudding. The instant kind, though I do make my own, too. I mixed cheesecake flavor with chocolate. Thought it would taste like, well, chocolate cheesecake...big surprise though It tasted just like chocolate cake batter!!! I used to LOVE licking the bowl as a kid and as a result of my boredom, I got to eat a bowl of cake batter. (One serving at a time, of course. [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: DragonMage ]

[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:00 PM   #23
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Okay! Knock it off! You people are making me HUNGRY!!! (hehehehe)

Epona, you've given me some ideas for dinner tonight.

And although I don't eat much in the line of sweets outside of yogurt or sugar-free ice cream, a really good, fresh, warm cookie is always a treat. [img]smile.gif[/img] My faves are the oatmeal (plain), oatmeal/chocolate chip or chocolate chunk. But I got bored one day some months ago and made pudding. The instant kind, though I do make my own, too. I mixed cheesecake flavor with chocolate. Thought it would taste like, well, chocolate cheesecake...big surprise though It tasted just like chocolate cake batter!!! I used to LOVE licking the bowl as a kid and as a result of my boredom, I got to eat a bowl of cake batter. (One serving at a time, of course. [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Dragonmage, what do you call pudding?
Here in England it is just another name for dessert or sweet course of a meal, but can also be more specific referring to a stodgy sponge or suet steamed dish, sweet (ie. treacle pudding) and served with custard, or savoury (ie. steak & kidney pudding) served with potatoes and gravy.

I have a feeling you are referring to something different though! Ah, cultural differences, don't ya just love 'em?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:14 PM   #24
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, what I made with the chocolate and cheesecake is an 'instant', just-add-milk thing. Homemade, you have sugar and cream and flavoring (like vanilla or chocolate) and eggs (in some recipes). You heat the cream, then temper the eggs/sugar/flavoring with some of the hot cream. Then add it back to the pan and continue cooking until it thickens. [img]smile.gif[/img] YUMMY!

We have a few different kinds of pudding, too, but they aren't made by many people unless you have strong family traditions for things like bread pudding, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: What you would call custard, we call pudding. (I just caught that in your post. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:21 PM   #25
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I'm with you, Sazerac--I do *NOT* want raisins in my oatmeal cookies. If I did, I'd have oatmeal raisin cookies, no wouldn't I? Personally I bake oatmeal choc chip cookies that are to die for--even ppl who say they dislike oatmeal scarf these down!

Oreos? Did I hear someone say *OREOs*? Yum yum yum yum........

Pepsi, not RC or Dr. Pepper (yuck, gag, wretch. DP tastes like bad cough syrup) or Coke.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:22 PM   #26
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Well, what I made with the chocolate and cheesecake is an 'instant', just-add-milk thing. Homemade, you have sugar and cream and flavoring (like vanilla or chocolate) and eggs (in some recipes). You heat the cream, then temper the eggs/sugar/flavoring with some of the hot cream. Then add it back to the pan and continue cooking until it thickens. [img]smile.gif[/img] YUMMY!

We have a few different kinds of pudding, too, but they aren't made by many people unless you have strong family traditions for things like bread pudding, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ahhhh, that's what we call blancmange I think! Kind of a firm custard.
Bread pudding, yes I'm familiar with that very stodgy the way we make it here, with dried fruit in it - and it weighs a ton. Can be eaten hot or cold.
We are very fond of puddings here in England, there is even a group called 'The Pudding Club' which is for devoted fans. They are traditionally made with suet (pork or beef fat, but veggie suet can also be used), but these days are more often made with a lighter flour recipe, for the more health concsious attitude today. The mixture is put in a glass basin with the other ingredients (meat, offal, bacon, dried fruit, jam, syrup, whatever!) a piece of cloth is tied over the top with string, then the basin is put in a large pan of water to simmer on a low heat for an hour or two.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:16 PM   #27
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Ahhhh, that's what we call blancmange I think! Kind of a firm custard.
Bread pudding, yes I'm familiar with that very stodgy the way we make it here, with dried fruit in it - and it weighs a ton. Can be eaten hot or cold.
We are very fond of puddings here in England, there is even a group called 'The Pudding Club' which is for devoted fans. They are traditionally made with suet (pork or beef fat, but veggie suet can also be used), but these days are more often made with a lighter flour recipe, for the more health concsious attitude today. The mixture is put in a glass basin with the other ingredients (meat, offal, bacon, dried fruit, jam, syrup, whatever!) a piece of cloth is tied over the top with string, then the basin is put in a large pan of water to simmer on a low heat for an hour or two.

ooooo! Can you e-mail me some recipes for these different puddings/custard? Or do you have a link? (I'm studying to be a chef, you know, so I'd LOVE to try some new things. [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 02-08-2002, 01:28 PM   #28
Epona
Zartan

quote:

ooooo! Can you e-mail me some recipes for these different puddings/custard? Or do you have a link? (I'm studying to be a chef, you know, so I'd LOVE to try some new things. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Of course, but it won't be until Monday now (modem trouble at home).
I'll dig out some good ones for you.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:57 PM   #29
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Of course, but it won't be until Monday now (modem trouble at home).
I'll dig out some good ones for you.

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!! Goodie!!! *bounces happily*

You're such a dear! *hugs* [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 09:19 PM   #30
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Hey, Epona, this one's for you. When I was in training, one of my fellow internes was British, and one day she came into the break room and looked into the refrigerator, and asked, "Where are the chocolate biscuits?" We all went, "Oh, yuck, chocolate biscuits, why would you want something like that?" For, to us, a "biscuit" is an unsweet scone-like bread, normally served with butter and either white gravy (if you are hardcore) or with honey or jam, (if you are wishy-washy). She turned bright red, and said, in her lovely Oxbridge accent, "No, no, I mean like Oreos." We all fell about. She was really a sweetie.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society