Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-06-2001, 12:24 PM   #31
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

there wont be any flames, because you just cannot get any from me

those who angers you, conqers you
Old 10-06-2001, 12:28 PM   #32
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Originally posted by Neb
I HOPE that nothing is going to happen, but I just have a FEELING that something will.

dont worry NEB, im sure that all of us here debating right now is 100% mature enough not to get mad ( i hope) over a debate argument and not go whacky over it.

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 10-06-2001, 12:31 PM   #33
Lord Shield

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! FLAME FLAME FLAME

...or maybe not

for most of the examples 250 has given, it could be seen as their choice, but I don't think this can be true of EVERY circumstance

------------------
Lord Raptor's Site

Ironworks Dark General
BG2 Tavern Keeper
King of Pointlessness

Old 10-06-2001, 12:31 PM   #34
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
hey 250!!
while i respect your point of view, i FIRMLY believe that not everything can be controlled, a classic example... a newborn baby died because of SID syndrom? (is that the one? wherein a baby just dies instantaniously for no reason of all?? or was it down syndrome? i cant seem to remember the exact word) im nearly 100% sure the mother didnt want her baby to die and took care of her child during pregnancy, i ask you if any of them was responsible? neither wished the baby want to die yet it happened.

if you mean by to the end? so you mean that you must look at the finality of the person in a given situation?

what does it mean to that baby? nothing
it is not fair, it is no one's fault, no one's responsbile

so what does that has to do with our topic?
ahhh, i see, you are trying to prove "not everything is controlable"

we cannot ignore the EFFECT and what experiences an incident cause to people when we talk about incident

that baby died, so this incident means virtually nothing to him

then we need to discuss what impact the child's death has? well... shall we continue?

or you wanna give a different example?

not everything is controllable, but what impact it has on everyone of us CAN be controlled

you view the world through the colored glass of your experience. if that glass is suspcious, then the world is a dangerous place. if that glass is naive, then the world is a trusting place. if that glass is impatience, then the world is a frustrating place. if that glass is anger, then the world is a hurtful place

Old 10-06-2001, 12:33 PM   #35
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

origianlly posted by 250

there are many people who had vrtually no money and became sucessful

i have to comment that while there is indeed many people who had no money and became successful, there are MORE people who were not successful and became more miserable than before... (ill not name names, because i suck at remembering names)

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 10-06-2001, 12:34 PM   #36
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

what I am saying is:

events only affect your feelings
your feelings in turn change your personality, your view of the world
which leads to changes in decision making in the future
which affect your way of life (fate)

your way of life is who you are

you can choose what kind of feelings from each single moment of your life, that means you choose to be who you are
Old 10-06-2001, 12:36 PM   #37
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:

origianlly posted by 250

there are many people who had vrtually no money and became sucessful

i have to comment that while there is indeed many people who had no money and became successful, there are MORE people who were not successful and became more miserable than before... (ill not name names, because i suck at remembering names)

hacker rule number 1:
if someone can do it, I can do it
Old 10-06-2001, 12:36 PM   #38
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

not everything is controllable, but what impact it has on everyone of us CAN be controlled
So what you're saying is that if people REALLY tried, all negative emotions can be ignored/dealt with, and that if they can't make that work, it is essentially a failure on their part, a lack of strength of will? Or am I misunderstanding?

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-06-2001, 12:38 PM   #39
Lord Shield

and don't forget that "who YOU are" depends entirely on your upbringing/social life/background

If that was hell, then the choice is hardly a choice? how can a child just shrug off abuse for instance?

------------------
Lord Raptor's Site

Ironworks Dark General
BG2 Tavern Keeper
King of Pointlessness

Old 10-06-2001, 12:42 PM   #40
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
So what you're saying is that if people REALLY tried, all negative emotions can be ignored/dealt with, and that if they can't make that work, it is essentially a failure on their part, a lack of strength of will? Or am I misunderstanding?

no emotions should be IGNORED!!! ESPECIALLY HURTFUL ONES!
goddamnit, I firsthandy eye witnessed what that kind behavior does to a person, and that hurts me too!!

if you don't deal with them, they eat you away. either bite by bite, all crush you in one single punch.

if people cannot face their own failures, weakness, hurtful feelings, it only mean one of the two things:
1. they are not ready to face it yet (either to acknowledge them, or to realzie they actually exist)
2. they are too comfortable and familiar with the old pain to recognize the new (and true) ones