Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
Winterfell
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can anyone tell me what causes oblivion gates to open?

I mean in the game of course! I found one outside Skingrad I think it was, then my game crashed, when I reloaded I went back there to get it again and it was gone...

What triggers their opening? It certainly isn't in game time, I've gone well past that point now and it still 'aint there.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Seraph
Quintesson

There are two kinds of Olbivion gates:
Gates that are opened as a direct result of a quest, and gates that appear 'randomly' after a certin point in the game. The 'random' gates will appear at a number of set locations around the map, you can usually spot these early in the game if you are looking carefully. Only a certin number of these gates are open at any one time. So you've have that number of gates open (someone told me 16 was the limit, but I don't know if that is true), and can't open the gate outside of skingrad until you close another one.

I encountered a similar situation in Leyawiin, and eventually figured out that another gate a little farther from Leyawiin had opened up.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

The leyawiin gates? Ah I remember. I closed the wrong one the first time. Pain in the arse, it is!

And, you are exactly right, sans the "16 limit" part. I know that's wrong, but I don't know why.

To my knowledge, if you stray far enough from an oblivion gate, it will close, and open somewhere else.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Winterfell
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What so even if you find a gate, don't go through and get the marker. If you leave it to come back later then it won't/might not be there?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Zaleukos
The Magister

The gates pop up once you have visited Kvatch. If you dont care for the main quests it is best to simply ignore going there. The MQ becomes quite a bit harder if you postpone it though:-p
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Zaleukos
The Magister

Winterfell// It'll stay there until you close it or finish the MQ. Random gates might respawn though, so I wouldnt bother with gates that arent part of the main quest. Unless you are desperate for sigil stones they arent worth it...
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

...Need some cash and have a strong character? Need loot? Need Alchemical Ingredients? Oblivion gates are great. Yes, they can be tedious...but after a while, I began to have some fun with them...Sigil Stones that (through some munchkin reloading) gave me a total of +94 to strength sure made a big difference for my character...

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Munchkin reloading? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:13 AM   #9
theGrimm
Manshoon

In other words, he saves just before he grabs the stone, and if he doesn't like the effect it gives, he reloads until he does.
theGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote