Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Are they getting on anybody else's nerves? I'm playing through the MQ and it seems like i can't take a [stroll] in the woods without another smegging gate appearing. I realise that there's no harm in just leaving them open, but i'm RPing a goody two shoes Blade who just can't leave them alone. It's like, i'll have just closed a gate, emerged (all busted up) and be on my way back to the next town to repair/restock/offload etc when i walk two minutes down the road and the skies turns red. Again. The peoples of Cyrodiil aren't nearly as nervous as they should be...

Eventually i'm going to start new characters that want absolutely nothing to do with the MQ and i'm wondering:

1. At what point exactly is the MQ initiated?

2. Will Kvatch be a peaceful, normal functioning town?

3. Is it, or will it, be possible to enter the realms of Oblivion without initiating the MQ? (That sounds silly given that i was just havin' a whinge about them but my non-MQ characters will still have a use for them.)
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Dunno really, sometimes it seems as if the gates are following you. Like if you don't enter one soon and close it down, it'll come to you, begging "please enter me". I think after a certain amount of closed gates they'll stop appearing. How many Daedric princes were there ? 16 ? Then you'll need to close an equal amount of gates and they'll stop stalking you.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

1. the MQ starts when you get to Kvatch, really. This can be done with or without having delivered the amulet.

2. Nope kvatch will always be a pile of steaming junk.

3. As above, ofcourse, as soon as Kvatch has been reached, expect to find gates. They may only appear if the gate their is destroyed, but I dunno.

And my comment on this all: Bethesda really threw away all the potential the gates appearing could have had. All the npc's are just merrily going on with their lives... Yet another dissappointment..
Old 04-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
Are they getting on anybody else's nerves? I'm playing through the MQ and it seems like i can't take a [stroll] in the woods without another smegging gate appearing. I realise that there's no harm in just leaving them open, but i'm RPing a goody two shoes Blade who just can't leave them alone. It's like, i'll have just closed a gate, emerged (all busted up) and be on my way back to the next town to repair/restock/offload etc when i walk two minutes down the road and the skies turns red. Again. The peoples of Cyrodiil aren't nearly as nervous as they should be...
You as well?

Yeah, they're pissing me off majorly. So is the MQ to be honest. "Fetch this, return, fetch that, go do this, go do that.. No sorry mate, you're the only one who can save a world who frankly doesn't give a damn."

Out of interest, that guy from Kvatch - the mayor person (or Lord whoever), is it actually possible to reach him when he's still alive?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Nope the count is always dead when you reach him. Which is too bad, really. I would have enjoyed trapping him in a black soul gem.

And, truth be told, the Oblivion gates are just annoying. Every one is so divine damned similar...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:

Yeah, they're pissing me off majorly. So is the MQ to be honest. "Fetch this, return, fetch that, go do this, go do that.. No sorry mate, you're the only one who can save a world who frankly doesn't give a damn."

Out of interest, that guy from Kvatch - the mayor person (or Lord whoever), is it actually possible to reach him when he's still alive?
Well I haven't tried the main quest yet, but there are plenty of quests that annoyed me. For example the thief guild quests. Eventually you take your orders directly from the guild master. You're in a random town and you get a messenger sending you to a town to mee thte guildmaster, you go there, he give you the mission, and it's always in another town farther off. Why make me come to Skingrad if what you want me to steal is in Bruma!?

Some assasin quests were as annoying. There was a couple that sent you off in the wilderness close to the border of the game. We're supposed to be saving the world, why do they make it so that you have 2-3 days travel time minimum between each side quests? Put the objectives a couple of hours away, not on the other side of the country and then back.

The worse quests of them all are those that make you follow npcs. There's one that make you follow 3 npcs, one each days. The quest ask you to follow them from morning when they wake up until midnight. I actually followed them all day for the 3 days, total waste of time. I probably sat there an hour watching the npcs to their retarded routine around town.

There is one in the Warrior guild too. They tell you to follow someone around so that you can catch them doing something and they tell you not to get seen. From what was happening in the earlier parts of the quest, it seem like it's about to happen and you have to follow now. Actually, I spent 30 mins sneaking and watching an npc turn in circle until it was finally the scripted time.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I don't feel like quoting all of your post Luvian - so I'll just answer here .

I stay away from guilds for exactly that reason. None of them have the appeal of the Morag Tong from Morrowind, even the Dark Brotherhood doesn't seem that great, so so far I've ignored all of them. Heck, I've not even explored the capital yet. The only reason I've been inside it was because of the main quest.

I don't like the following NPC quests - or fed ex quests. They're just a waste of time, imo. It's annoying. It's too bad that they spent so much time on the graphics but neglected the actual content.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Well, the only thing we can do is majorly complain to Bethesda, and beg them to make the next more content oriented (sp?).
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

...So Oblivion gates appear randomly? Is that what I'm reading?

I figured that they just were there, and there was a set number of them, since that'd be the easiest way to program them into the game...

Personally, I'm fine with them being there, as I can't just do one quest at a time. Generally, I have at least ten quests on my to-do list so that if I get tired of sneaking my through castles, I can go hit stuff in the face.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

That's strange - they're all random? On my map they're showing the beginnings of a rough circle. With several rings.

Maybe I'm just seeing patterns that aren't there? *shrug*