Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-04-2001, 07:00 PM   #1
Aurican
Elminster

Tell me if this is even possible and how I could go about doing it.

A discussion in the RGP novel forum made me think about the Cleric Quintet series and a character in it. I decided I wanted to try to make a firbolg class.

Basically what it is is a Human fighter that can shapeshift into a giant form. I liked the fire giant from IWD, Iwanted to use the giant with the sword instead of the big hammer. There is nothing special about the fighter other than this. He can't go above 18/00 strength in human form, but when shifted he can go to 23 or something like that, his dex is kinda dropped due to extreme size. I thought a character like this would have great role playing potential.

So, questions, comments, suggestions. I really want to try to get this thing rolling.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 04-04-2001, 11:21 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Begin by examining a class-specific ability such as "spcl611" (shapeshifts brown bear). Some things to consider would be 1) importing the fire giant picture/animation from IWD (this I haven't done before) and 2) what innate weapons (if any) to give the new form; for example, the brown bear gets a "brbrp.itm" weapon. Then, use Infinity Explorer to look at .2da files relating to class abilities such as "clabfi01" for straight fighter abilities gained (none, that is). Export this file and edit it using the hex editor of your choice (and follow Hesperex's advice--hex editing is not for the faint of heart) to add the ability to your class. Place the now-edited class ability file into your "override" folder. At this point you would have to export and edit the "kitlist.2da" file to include your kit and link the class ability table to it. This should get your class up and running, but you'd probably have to use Shadowkeeper to set your character's class.

That, at least, is the theory. Between the start and the end lie several dozen pitfalls to avoid crashing the game. I, for one, am about to undertake this exact challenge as I alter the monk class to fit more in line with realistic/cinematic martial arts (but no wire-work in my future, I assure you, just a little drunken boxing).

Keep us all informed on the good work, Aurican

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 04-04-2001, 11:28 PM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

me help me help me help!! me givez moral support az well az material help! tell me what you need, the Azred dude already told you da mosht, no wolly, me help!
Old 04-05-2001, 01:02 AM   #4
Aurican
Elminster

Thanks for the help so far, I need some more...
ok, I have made an innate shapechange ability primer. Right now it shapeshifts into an earth elemental. I don't need help making the Firbolg's weapons and such, just information on how to make the bams I took from IWD go into BGII. I currently have them all stored in a folder.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 01:05 AM   #5
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

way over my little head on the editing there Aurican

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 04:19 PM   #6
Aurican
Elminster

bump

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 07:19 PM   #7
Lord Shield

Firbolgs? Firbolgs? They do NOT BATHE!!

Old 04-05-2001, 11:29 PM   #8
Aurican
Elminster

Half-orc barbarians don't bathe and their are in the game... Firbolgs should be too. Firbolgs can be considered a cross between dwarves and giants. They like water, they bathe occasionally. Well, more that Half-orcs!

------------------