Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-18-2002, 08:23 AM   #1
Vassago
Manshoon

Just curious as to what skills and feats I should focus on w/ my Sorceror. Is it true that he doesn't cast his spells from scrolls, so I don't have to worry about Arcane penalties (like Armor, shield, etc.)?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arcane penalties apply to every spells cast by a sorcerer, bard or wizard.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hmm, depends on what type of spells you see him casting. I like to make Sorcerers who get SF/GSF in Evocation, and one or more of the elemental magic feats like Spirit of Flame. Another SF/GSF thrown in would be nice in whichever school you're going to cast from often. Their selection of spells is fairly limited, so if you take 2 SF/GSFs, it makes choosing their spells easier, just choose spells for the most part that are in their specialty schools.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:41 AM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Oh forgot skills - definitely Concentration and Spellcraft; if you have extra skill points left over from Int, the Sorcerer makes a good leader because of the high Cha, so you might want to develop Bluff and Diplomacy.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:05 AM   #5
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Armour and shields give a percentage chance of arcane spell failure, except for one piece of armour that can supposedly found in the hand... although I could swear that I saw it before then... I dunno... I always give my sorceror 19 charisma so I can cast all the spells, and quite high intelligence and constitution. The high constitution obviously gives high hp, and the high intelligence means that i can get concentration, alchemy and knowledge (arcana), so i don't have to waste a spell on identify...
By the way, sorcerer's are much better than wizards in my opinion... much more versatility
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 11:50 AM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Sorcerers can cast spells from scrolls, just like a wizard does. And just like a wizard, casting spells in armor leads to the possibility of arcane spell failure.

Gimli is right on with taking one or two spell focus feats and choosing most spells accordingly. In normal modes, evocation is a good one to have. Enchantment is handy if you like the charm/dominate type of spell. Transmutation is most useful for Druids; not all that great otherwise.

Callum, the Drakkas Chain is most definitely in the Hand; I've found it there several times. However, if you have the Ease of Use mod special merchant (Ribald) in your game, he has a suit of armor that is exactly like Drakkas in normal mode. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 09:09 AM   #7
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

No I'm pretty sure that I have seen it before... cos when i was ummm... giving "divine intervention" to my all drow party with dalekeeper2, I came acroos this armour in the robes section... and I know I had seen it before... I haven't found it in the hand anyways...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 11-19-2002, 09:10 AM   #8
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

OH WAIT!!!! of course... I'll have read the story in the book in the monastery... so I haven't found it
Glad I've cleared that up tho' [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 11:42 AM   #9
Vassago
Manshoon

I don't mind learning the Identity spell. That was actually the way I was going to go. Here is my proposed Sorceror stats:

Nexus Rock Gnome Male Sorceror Chaotic Evil
10/14/16/10/8/18
Skills: Concentration(Con) & Diplomacy(Cha)
Feats: Spell Focus: Evocation
Weapons: ? & Crossbow

Is my Con to high in my stats? I've noticed several other parties mentioned on this board w/ cons as low as 10. I've started rethinking my other party members because of this.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:15 PM   #10
Nightowl2
Galvatron

No, I don't think the con is too high. Sorcs only get a d4, and even if max hp is set, that doesn't amount to a lot. A few extra hitpoints never hurts!

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote