Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-12-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Beef
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all,

I recently decided to try playing this game again and some quick research prompted me to try the Sorceror class for some a$$-kicking fun. I have this one question, though:

Sorcerors are supposed to have all their magic based off the Charisma attribute (according to D&D rules), but in the game the "Kit description" states that the primary attribute of the Sorceror is intelligence. Huh? I know that it's supposed to be Charisma, but what does the game use to compute? Obviously, this will determine how I create my character.

Thanks.
Beef<br /><br />=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<br />We are all born with both gifts & shortcomings.<br />The smart people are the ones that learn to use their gifts.<br />The happy people are the ones that learn to accept their shortcomings.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

The game don't realy care..

you could pump the crs, though you'll need a certain ammount of int (your forced by the game)

you wanna be smart or chatty, is the real question.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
Userunfriendly
Elminster

dex...its actually better to keep your sorc really dumb...

wis is important too...charisma doesn't matter...str is good, important...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #4
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Depend's UUF, if he want's to power play then dex is alway's good, though if not, then char and int would be nice..

*looks at fighter with low strength*

Somtime's playing a diffrent role to your norm's can be good fun, like the weedy fighter that think's himself the bee's knee's..
Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
Depend's UUF, if he want's to power play then dex is alway's good, though if not, then char and int would be nice..

*looks at fighter with low strength*

Somtime's playing a diffrent role to your norm's can be good fun, like the weedy fighter that think's himself the bee's knee's..
gotta make a half orc sorceror named "BillGates"...

sorcerors don't need int at all...they only need enough to use scrolls and wands, and that's it...they don't need high int to scribe scrolls, they can't scribe scrolls anyway...

char is not an issue, the incredibly easy to get ring of human influence is in chapter 1 or 2...

[ 01-12-2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Userunfriendly ]
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Old 01-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
Beef
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So...

What you all are telling me is that INT doesn't matter so much. Therefore, I should max Charisma since that's what the Sorceror's magic is based on? Is this correct?

Also, the Ring of Influence is nice but I would want to get both the mage rings for extra spells.
Beef<br /><br />=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<br />We are all born with both gifts & shortcomings.<br />The smart people are the ones that learn to use their gifts.<br />The happy people are the ones that learn to accept their shortcomings.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
untouchable
Manshoon

While the game states that Int is the sorcerers primary statistic, this is not true. Int changes the amount of spells that a wizard can memorize per level. This is hard coded into the engine for sorcerers and therefor doesn't apply. The only reason for a sorcerer to have high Cha is for role playing purposes, personly my sorcerers always have 18 Cha in the BG series.

Powergamming wise, the best attribute to max out is wisdom. Some would say Dex or Str but if you need to use hand to hand combat with a sorcerer you did something wrong. That said, a backup plan never hurt. You're probably wondering why max out wisdom, one TOB spell allows you to rememorise spells in the thick of combat, this spell uses a wisdom check.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
Userunfriendly
Elminster

actually was thinking of having a higher strength will allow you to carry more, and make melf minute meteors more effective, along with energy blades...and you would carry potions of insight for the few times you would use that spell, the one that starts out with letter "w"....
dex is always nice, making you harder to hit is a good thing, and helps with melf minute meteors, and energy blades...

but agree, wis is very nice...

sacrifice int, and charisma for strength, wis and dex...

and you only need high charisma when you're shopping, simply keep the ring of human influence in a gem bag until you go shopping...
Old 01-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #9
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

Beef, you may be thinking of 3rd edition rules, where Bards and Sorcerers both need a high charisma to learn many spells. I think in 2nd ed. it uses int instead of cha.
Jorsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Sorcerers do not actually exist in 2nd Edition - they are taken straight from 3e for the purposes of this game. That's part of the reason they are either extremely powerful or extemely weak (depending on your spells) - they are balanced for a different ruleset.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote