Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Gem Mining...Questions and Concerns

When I was little, my dad took us to a mining attraction in the NC mountains where you can buy a bucket of dirt and rocks and proceed to sift and search. The more money you paid per bucket, the higher your chances that something good was inside. I found a few items like rose quartz and tiny little garnets. There's some other things in there that have color to them and I have no idea what they are or their value. I actually still have them and maybe someday I'll find out what I have.
I learned later on that those buckets my dad bought us were more than likely pre-sifted by somebody with a skilled eye who looked for the best stuff and left the rest. Then I learned the term "salted" which implies the owners of the establishment will place goodies in those buckets on purpose to attract rumors and attention and get repeat customers.

Now...my daughter has shown a high interest in rock collecting recently, and I like supporting my kids with their interests...but I don't want to waste money or be "duped". Have any of you that fancy mining found a way to avoid salted attractions and places that produce results worth the trip?

Another concern of mine...I don't understand how I could feel safe if I found something of real value. I mean, if I found a ruby big enough to get considered for cutting and made into jewelry, I would have the luxery of having an on-site gemologist to evaluate my gems and they charge somewhere between $40-$60 depending on the stone to cut it into whatever. How do I know they will not steal from me? How do I know somebody will not rob me if I found a real treasure?

I read about this diamond mining field in Arkansas that actually has produced some of the largest and most expensive diamonds in the world! There was a new report done on one lady that found a yellow diamond worth an incredible amount and she had it appraised by some famous NY jeweler. How did that woman get away from the park officials? How did she not get robbed? Things like that, I am worried about.

Anyway, if any of you have any mining expertise to share with me prior to the second week of July, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Gem Mining...Questions and Concerns

I'd guess a high level of discreetness (discretion?), along with a good relationship with the bank and insurance company who are now the only ones who know. Usually in places like that, stumbling across rubies and emeralds is almost unheard of. Stones like you mentioned above such as quartz and carnelian are usually the best you find.

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 06-19-2011 at 11:22 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
When I was little, my dad took us to a mining attraction in the NC mountains where you can buy a bucket of dirt and rocks and proceed to sift and search. The more money you paid per bucket, the higher your chances that something good was inside. I found a few items like rose quartz and tiny little garnets. There's some other things in there that have color to them and I have no idea what they are or their value. I actually still have them and maybe someday I'll find out what I have.
I learned later on that those buckets my dad bought us were more than likely pre-sifted by somebody with a skilled eye who looked for the best stuff and left the rest. Then I learned the term "salted" which implies the owners of the establishment will place goodies in those buckets on purpose to attract rumors and attention and get repeat customers.

Now...my daughter has shown a high interest in rock collecting recently, and I like supporting my kids with their interests...but I don't want to waste money or be "duped". Have any of you that fancy mining found a way to avoid salted attractions and places that produce results worth the trip?

Another concern of mine...I don't understand how I could feel safe if I found something of real value. I mean, if I found a ruby big enough to get considered for cutting and made into jewelry, I would have the luxery of having an on-site gemologist to evaluate my gems and they charge somewhere between $40-$60 depending on the stone to cut it into whatever. How do I know they will not steal from me? How do I know somebody will not rob me if I found a real treasure?

I read about this diamond mining field in Arkansas that actually has produced some of the largest and most expensive diamonds in the world! There was a new report done on one lady that found a yellow diamond worth an incredible amount and she had it appraised by some famous NY jeweler. How did that woman get away from the park officials? How did she not get robbed? Things like that, I am worried about.

Anyway, if any of you have any mining expertise to share with me prior to the second week of July, I'd appreciate it.
How far afield from NC are you willing to go? There is a fantastic place near Hot Springs, Arkansas that allows you to dig for quartz crystals. It's a flat fee of 15 or 20$ per person per day. IIRC it's Ron Coleman's Quartz Mine.

15 miles from Hot Springs on Highway 7 North

5837 North Highway 7, Jessieville, Arkansas 71949

501-984-5328

Never had any problems there and some of the regulars are extremely friendly and will point out places to dig. We found some very large single crystals - cucumber size approximately and some nice clusters as well. Enough to fill two large buckets.

There are similiar type operations for gems and minerals through out north carolina. Look for the ones that charge you a flat rate per day and allow you to dig on your own instead of the places that sell you a pre-canned bucket.

Make sure you bring your own digging tools as the rental charges for them can be pretty steep. A small garden hand shovel and a three/four prong hand garden trowel are a good start. Bring an empty bucket to haul off your goodies. A rock hammer and rock chisel won't hurt either depending on whether you actually want to bust up boulders or not. Make sure everyone has a sturdy pair of gloves for digging and bring plastic or rubber gloves for sluicing. Bring a hat (and sunblock if needed). Make sure to wear an old long sleeve shirt, heavy jeans or cargo pants and heavy shoes. A foam garden kneeling pad will save you some pain as well. And bring LOTS of water to stay hydrated. If it's an all day affair, don't forget LUNCH!

We never had any issues with security or people trying to rip us off. In fact, the staff of most places will bend over backwards to point out areas where recent finds were made or new dump sites to dig through.

In NC, check out places like the Crabtree Emerald Mine, but here's a list for you:

A Partial Listing of Pay-to-Dig Mines in North Carolina:

Dirt-by-the-Bucket Mines:

Cherokee Ruby & Sapphire Mine, Franklin. (Native gems.)
Sheffield Mine, Franklin. (Native and enhanced buckets)
Cowee Mountain Ruby Mine, Franklin
Jackson Hole Mine, Franklin
Rio Doce Mine, Mitchell County. (Native and Foreign gems)
Greater Foscoe Gem Mining Co., Foscoe
Cotton Patch Gold Mining, New London
Spruce Pine Gemstone Mine, Spruce Pine

Mines That Allow Actual Digging:

Rose Creek Mine, Franklin
Mason Ruby & Sapphire Mine, Franklin (cash only, no credit cards or checks accepted; and not to be confused with Mason Mountain Mine)
Gem Mountain Gemstone Mine, Spruce Pine (for the actual mine site: weather permitting & reservations required.)
Emerald Hollow Mine, Hiddenite

Check with each place BEFORE you head off to confirm hours of operation, fees, etc.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer

And here's a shot of two of the crystals we found:

Picture isn't great but you get the idea. Both still need to be cleaned with oxalic acid.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

They both look like quartz, yes?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
They both look like quartz, yes?
Yes.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Did you only find quartz? I see you mentioned 2 large buckets - that's a good deal for $20 as the cluster version above would sell from $5-10 alone in stores. Not too shabby...still, you are putting in the labor so I guess it adds up in a sense. All in the fun I imagine. I like that you can find rose quartz, does this grow in the same pointed clusters as clear?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My dad's wife said they went to that emerald mine in Hiddenite, paid $50 and found an emerald that after cutting and polishing, was valued at $700.

Thanks Micah! By the way, I almost came out your way tomorrow. I was asked to do a job in Asheville tomorrow at 12pm, but we have another guy out that way today who's gonna stay the night somewhere so he'll be there already for tomorrow...and I will do his job in High Point.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Did you only find quartz? I see you mentioned 2 large buckets - that's a good deal for $20 as the cluster version above would sell from $5-10 alone in stores. Not too shabby...still, you are putting in the labor so I guess it adds up in a sense. All in the fun I imagine. I like that you can find rose quartz, does this grow in the same pointed clusters as clear?
Just quartz unfortunately. Everything from some small single thumb sized points to the larger single crystal and several clusters. We actually have a couple of clusters bigger than the one shown in the pic. Both my wife and I were digging too - an all day affair. She reminded me that we actually paid 15$ each. I figure we more than got our money's worth in crystals but we had a lot of fun as well. The only downside was a few stiff back muscles. Oh there was also all of the nasty red clay we had to wash out of our clothes.

And yes rose quartz comes in clusters as well. AFAIK all quartz varieties can be found in clusters including clear, rose, amethyst, smokey, rutilated, elestial, citrine, dendritic, and enhydro quartz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
My dad's wife said they went to that emerald mine in Hiddenite, paid $50 and found an emerald that after cutting and polishing, was valued at $700.

Thanks Micah! By the way, I almost came out your way tomorrow. I was asked to do a job in Asheville tomorrow at 12pm, but we have another guy out that way today who's gonna stay the night somewhere so he'll be there already for tomorrow...and I will do his job in High Point.
Shame you aren't going to be in the area. Could have stopped by to say hi! High Point is just a BIT too far away for a quick side trip.

I've haven't checked out any of the local gem digging spots yet.

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 06-21-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Gem Mining...Questions and Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Just quartz unfortunately. Everything from some small single thumb sized points to the larger single crystal and several clusters. We actually have a couple of clusters bigger than the one shown in the pic. Both my wife and I were digging too - an all day affair. She reminded me that we actually paid 15$ each. I figure we more than got our money's worth in crystals but we had a lot of fun as well. The only downside was a few stiff back muscles. Oh there was also all of the nasty red clay we had to wash out of our clothes.

And yes rose quartz comes in clusters as well. AFAIK all quartz varieties can be found in clusters including clear, rose, amethyst, smokey, rutilated, elestial, citrine, dendritic, and enhydro quartz.

Yeah I suspected they all grow in clusters, since they are the same thing in essence. I just never see a rose quartz cluster sold in stores. Usually, they are polished or carved into ornaments etc. So, do you sell these to make it worth your while or keep them as souvenirs? I mean, they'd all sell either polished or unpolished. Ever come across Tigers Eye? Or the rarer, Hawks Eye? Just wondering - I hear they don't have that hologram effect until they are polished but would love to see 'em in raw form. Reading up, they are mostly found in Africa or Asia. I am curious if there are ANY places to mine them in the US at all.