Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 01-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I have a little list of games that I am interested in purchasing, and would like the members here considered opinions on which of these games they think is the most worthy purchase. I can only afford one so want to make the right choice. There all PS2 games. I've looked at magazine and website reviews to come up with this list based on my favorite types of games.

This is the list:

Devil May Cry 3
Makai Kingdom
Kingdom Hearts
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (Known as Winning Eleven in USA/Japan)
God of War
Prince of Persia (the first Ubisoft one)
GTA: San Andreas
Dragon Quest VIII (it isn't out here yet though)
Phantom Brave

Ovbiously I don't expect everyone to have played every single one of these games but if you've played one of them please give your opinion. Thanks in advance [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

i'm really not a console person, only played a handful. but i'll try nonetheless.
don't know makai or phantom brave so they're off my list. gta is pretty much more of the same, so if you enjoyed vice city and want more, go for it. i've played some pop on pc. i'm not very good at it but it was enjoyable. i've never played any ff but kingdom hearts is great. i'm not far off finishing that. then there's god of war, not seen it myself but i'm hearing so many people say its absolutely great. so i'd put that up top just based on other's enthusiasm. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

First and foremost, if you're interested in Dragon Quest, you should hop over here, and read this guy's quibbles. I haven't played the game, nor do I plan to, so that's about the best I can do for you there.

Of the two Nippon Ichi games you have listed, I'd say go for Phantom Brave, if only because I own it myself. Or Disgaea, if you don't have it.

Kingdom Hearts is a mixed bag for me. I've played through it several times, and have gotten relatively close to the end, but usually get fed up and quit. I haven't played any Final Fantasy game (other than FF Tactics Advance, but I don't think that counts for much), so whatever part of playing this game for that reason is nonexistant for me. Other than that, I find it all comes down to simple button mashing. I'd be willing to give you mine for less than $10 if you'd want, considering you can get it new for about $15 around here.

Other than those few (and San Andreas, which I don't have much to say on), I haven't played any of them. But based on what you have (namely God of War and Prince of Persia), I'd say that you might find Ico and Shadow of the Colossus somewhat interesting as well. And because you possess a PS2, you would do yourself a favor by at least renting either of the Katamari games (if you can find them). Gods are those games fun!

Back to what you were asking about: of the ones you have listed, I'd say Phantom Brave would be your best option. It has the Disgaea feel with it's own, unique twist.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Havnt played any of them except Pro Evo and GTA and have to say I was kinda dissapointed with Pro Evo. My flatmate recently bought the new fifa and I personally feel its alot better. As for GTA again if your a fan its really good fun as theres alot in there to keep you entertained for a good while. I was however a big fan of the original Devil May Cry so number 3 might be good crack
Old 01-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well I really liked God of War. I'm usually not a console fan, but I liked and finished this one.

It had some very cool combats and the world was very nice. I especially liked all the finishing moves you could do, like riping off the wings of a harpy and such.

[ 01-03-2006, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

At the moment the game I'm thinking of getting now will be either Devil May Cry 3, Phantom Brave or God of war. I really liked Disgaea so naturally Phantom Brave is high on my list. I have the original Devil May Cry and liked it. The only negative thing about it, is I've heard it is extremely hard (unbelievably hard in fact).

God of war is supposedly great and I like the idea of ripping wings off harpies.

Has anyone played Devil May Cry 3?

I'll have to think about which of these 3 I should buy. If you have an opinion on any of these games and haven't posted please do.

[ 01-05-2006, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Zarr ]
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Not played Devil May Cry 3 as I said but it looks gorgeous and I wouldnt be put off by the supposed difficulty, you gotta love a challenge
Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Light Bulb

Well, I payed a visited to my local GAME store today and noticed they are selling God of War for £20. This is interesting as previously it was £35. Devil May Cry 3 is also £20. This makes the decision harder as previously I was leaning towards Devil May Cry 3 due to it's lower price (it was £20 even before the Jan sale).

Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-29-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
Jorath Calar
Harper

Only played God of war, it's amazing game Best Console game I ever played

How ever if over the top violence and pixelated nudity disturb you I'd stay away... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

God of War is really outstanding...I've played and enjoyed other games on that list, but God of War truly does stand out as the best. It is a touch graphic though.