Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2003, 09:00 PM   #11
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

Although I'd love to be "the most powerful person in the world", it takes too much time!
Don't know about that. [img]smile.gif[/img] The reason why I'm asking is that like a lot of people I'm sure, you've seen TotSC with a party, and wouldn't imagine that its possible on your own. After all, you solo up to a certain level or you want to take a break from the city and can't help wondering whether you ought to have a go this time round. Aren't you tempted in the least Lavindathar?

Anyway guys, how about the smallest party? Have you kept Imoen to yourself and stayed away from all of those crazy people that hang out in the a$$-end of the Sword Coast? Just you and the annoying thief against the world. My smallest party so far is four: PC, Imoen, Minsc and Dynaheir.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #12
Charlie
Lord Ao

I soloed a thief through BG, TotSC and DSotSC.....I then imported to BG2. I soloed that too, along with ToB with the same character.

In answer....yes it can all be soloed...Enjoy.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:56 PM   #13
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Smallest party? Well, apart from solo...

I did a mage with Korgan. Got quite far, too. NEver completed it though
Old 01-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #14
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
I soloed a thief through BG, TotSC and DSotSC.....I then imported to BG2. I soloed that too, along with ToB with the same character.

In answer....yes it can all be soloed...Enjoy.
Bah, details Charlie, details!

How much did you actually do? Some of the areas that are around are difficult enough with a party of six. The only times I've soloed tended to concentrate on the main quest with whatever side quests didn't appear to daunting at the time. I've never even bothered with TotSC, and I don't have DSotSC as of yet.

"Korgan" Horatio? Who hell he?
Old 01-27-2003, 05:47 AM   #15
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:

Oh, what about InsaneBane? That guy's barking. C'mon Insane, spill the beans (proverbially).
I'm not that insane (READ: I am a chicken)

I haven't got the time for such a project. I haven't even completed the game with a normal party yet.

I think that one of the best things with a game like BG, is to gather a party and make each of the members effective in an individual way. If two characters resembled each other too much, I would probably dump one of them just to get more variety to the party.

Conclusion: Whenever the day comes, where I have tried everything but soloing, I will probably move on to another game.

Insane

[ 01-27-2003, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: InsaneBane ]
Old 01-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #16
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Insane speaks true words for me also. Time is a factor working against me, as in not enough time to play. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

I have not attempted a party smaller than six in the game, other than when first starting the game and picking up the NPC's. I'd like to try different party combos, minimal size party, solo - someday. Now I find myself fighting for computer time with wife and son.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:29 AM   #17
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:
"Korgan" Horatio? Who hell he?
Dammit, I meant Kaigen. korgan's in BG2. Sorry [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2003, 01:03 PM   #18
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Righto Horatio, I'm with you now.

I agree with you InsaneBane. I haven't done everything yet, so I haven't moved on to BG2. Still plenty more things to try. [img]smile.gif[/img] Time is the key, right Keraptisdm!

TotSC is unusual really, in that the majority of the problems involved are difficult to sneak past - as far as I can see. The rest of BG could be tackled almost solely along the main quest route. You'd never have to stray too far from it unless you wanted that tome or random XP. Hmmm, have to think about this one a bit more.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #19
Lemmy
Manshoon

SPOILER: Possible spoilers exist in this post that deal with various parts of the game. Read only if you've finished BG1+TotSC or don't mind spoilers.

"Have you solo'ed through TotSC?"

Yes, with an Illusionist (Gnome Alone). It was horribly shameless. I think he had something like 2 WIS and 3 CHA, allowing him to have 16 CON, 19 INT, and 18 DEX/STR.

"I'd like to know about strategies, ruses and ploys employed by the player in such an activity."

Well, I like to think I (ab)used illusion to the fullest. Or very near to, at least.

"If you can't kill it, don't let it see you." Invisible was one of his favorite tricks. Most excellent for getting through tedious areas and conserving spells at the same time. (Why fight if they don't drop interesting items and you'd only need to nap afterward anywy?) Unlike BG2, very few creatures in BG1 can see invisible, making Invisible an extrodinarily useful spell.

I abused Mirror Image shamelessly: Absorbs traps, unfriendly arrows, unfriendly melee attacks, my own Fireballs (some of the damage, anyway). Speaking of Fireball, few things are quite so satisfying as hearing "You have been waylaid by enemies..." and turning 10 bandits into tanning-bed accidents with a single syllable. Collecting their charcoal scalps afterward is a bit icky, though.

Starting out was the most tedious part. He used a sling exclusively, and at one shot per round... *yawn* Fights took the length of an Age, especially on those oh-so-lucky occasions when he'd roll three Critical Misses in a row. In retrospect, I could've used Darts on the weakest of weak critters.

Completely Shameless Cheese: Buy a scroll of Protection from Petrification early on (I believe they're sold at the Nashkel Carnival) and visit the Basilisk map for some *quick* leveling. Scroll of Prot. Pet. lasts 12 hours; more than enough time to plink the big lizards to death with a ranged weapon. Just be wary of the other denizens of the map - and Basilisk bites. (Occasionally they will resort to a melee attack; poisonous, if I'm not mistaken.)

Random Bits
-Keeping Belt alive can be a pain. Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is a nifty trick for accomplishing this.
-Durlag's Tower: Chessboard is an interesting level. Far more interesting after you've downed a few Lightning Resist potions and turned yourself Invisible. Trigger the traps and fry the opposition.

Hmmm, that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

-Lem
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:24 PM   #20
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

NICE!

Good work fella, and thanks for the response. Yeah, I've wondered about some areas of BG/TotSC. Avoidance is a good idea if the encounter isn't really necessary. You'd figure on getting the XP from the main quest, and some side quests, which would not be divided up at all. You may not do everything, but you'll still get the levels in.

(IWD is somewhat easier to solo, as you level up so much faster - there are still areas that you'd have to avoid though.)