Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #21
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

I read something about it in the Grand History of the Realms book, which was originally published as the last of the 3.5 books. It was originally made by a fan, gathering information from all FR sources, figure that! They just said that this was cool and that they'd like to publish it as a book. I guess this book is just the best bet for general info, even if that is pretty short. But you won't find it better, except maybe on the internet.

The other option is to pick up the 4th ed campaign setting, although I'd advise against that. 80% of that book is combat rules, it is thin as it is, and the amount of pages left for lore is dismal. There is no history worth speaking of but there are entries on the current greater gods.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #22
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Is there anywhere to read a summary of this? What all the changes are, what the map looks like today? I'm still stuck in the world that was "before all this" (i.e. FR 3rd Ed version, when Shade came back, Azoun dead, etc).
This site has a review of the FR campaign setting, including some map screenies :

http://www.gnomestew.com/reviews/4th...ook-crappy-map

There's also a link to a review of the 4e core books.

Some more map screenies :

http://dnd4edition.com/faq/maps.htm

Brief lore rundown :

http://richgreen01.livejournal.com/35617.html

Last edited by Kezardin; 10-21-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #23
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezardin View Post
This site has a review of the FR campaign setting, including some map screenies :

http://www.gnomestew.com/reviews/4th...ook-crappy-map

There's also a link to a review of the 4e core books.

Some more map screenies :

http://dnd4edition.com/faq/maps.htm

Brief lore rundown :

http://richgreen01.livejournal.com/35617.html
Nice summary.

Here's a list of the changes to the Pantheon as a I understood them.

SLAIN DEITIES

Mystra: Slain by Cyric in 1385 DR. The Chosen of Mystra enact the rite of the Silverfall. In their ritual they give up the small portions of Mystra power they still contain. Several of the seven sisters perish in the ritual. Azuth and Kelemevor use the power of the Weave Tear and the silver fire to resurrect Mystra, now known as Midnight the lady or Mysteries. Midnight gladly serves under Azuth.
Azuth: Slain by Asmodeus after being shunted from Dweomerheart to the Nine Hells.
Gorm Gulthyn: Dies while doing battle with Deep Duerra and Laduguer after they follow Moradin in his crusade against the forces of Hammergrim.
Haela Brightaxe: Dies while doing battle with Deep Duerra and Laduguer after they follow Moradin in his crusade against the forces of Hammergrim.
Deep Duerra: Slain by Clangeddin in the crusade against the forces of Hammergrim, led by Moradin.
Laduguer: Slain by Moradin in the crusade against the forces of Hammergrim, led by Moradin.
The Masked Lady: Sacrificed herself to allow those Drow without Wendonai's taint to become Dark Elves once more.

Note: Lisa Smedan's FR Trilogy "The Lady Penitent" actually covers the sacrifice of the masked lady (aka Eilistraee) and occurs both literally, and figuratively during a "chess" match between the Masked Lady and Lloth. The chess match runs concurrently during the trilogy which is a continuation of the War of the Spider Queen series.

Helm: Is slain by Tyr in a duel over a misunderstanding concerning the marriage of Tyr and Tymora. Tyr believing he has committed great wrongs sheds some of his divine essence and revives Helm. Helm become lord of judgement and guardians.

Note: Parts of this are covered in Thomas Reid's FR trilogy, The Empyrean Odyssey.

Tyr: Perished during a Demon incursion. Weakened by his resurrection of Helm, Tyr is assaulted by Talos and his court of evil gods and demons. The heaven shake with there thunderous blows. Torm seeking to aid his lord, slays several deities. Tyr and Talos war sends them battling through the astral plane.
Lathander: The 'higher sun entity' that he is a part of shifts from it's Lathander phase to it's Amaunator phase.
Velsharoon: Consumed by fire and perished because of it in 1425. Currently, his corpse is in Aglarondian hands, and is a testament to the legacy of The Simbul.
Savras: Killed during Cyric's intrusion into Dweomerheart and his assassination of Mystra.

Some deities have been phased out of existence, having simply been guises for other deities:

Sehanine Moonbow has always been a guise worn by Selūne among the Elves.
Hanali Celanil has always been a guise worn by Sune among the Elves.
Aerdrie Faenya has always been a guise won by Akadi among the Elves.
Talos has always been a guise worn by Gruumsh, among Humans.
Yondella has always been a guise worn by Chauntea, among the Halflings.
Ubtao was never a deity, but instead, a 'Primordial' who turned on his fellows and remained in Faerūn instead of Abeir.

Some of this has not been confirmed including the parts about Mystra's and Helm's resurrections.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #24
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

These changes are confusing, upsetting and maybe somewhat unnecessary but still, very interesting. I love reading lore. Also, that link Kezradin posted is a great (albeit brief) introduction to what has gone before. I imagine all this and more is covered in the official 4e FR core book? I may get it just to read wtf happend to all my favourite places and characters. Anyone have it, currently? I see above people mentioning that the corebooks lore info. is sparse at best - so where the hell can I get detailed accounts of whats happend? Or do they intend to leave it vague...? I want closure!

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 10-21-2009 at 03:35 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #25
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Nice summary.

Here's a list of the changes to the Pantheon as a I understood them.

SLAIN DEITIES

Mystra: Slain by Cyric in 1385 DR. The Chosen of Mystra enact the rite of the Silverfall. In their ritual they give up the small portions of Mystra power they still contain. Several of the seven sisters perish in the ritual. Azuth and Kelemevor use the power of the Weave Tear and the silver fire to resurrect Mystra, now known as Midnight the lady or Mysteries. Midnight gladly serves under Azuth.
Azuth: Slain by Asmodeus after being shunted from Dweomerheart to the Nine Hells.
Gorm Gulthyn: Dies while doing battle with Deep Duerra and Laduguer after they follow Moradin in his crusade against the forces of Hammergrim.
Haela Brightaxe: Dies while doing battle with Deep Duerra and Laduguer after they follow Moradin in his crusade against the forces of Hammergrim.
Deep Duerra: Slain by Clangeddin in the crusade against the forces of Hammergrim, led by Moradin.
Laduguer: Slain by Moradin in the crusade against the forces of Hammergrim, led by Moradin.
The Masked Lady: Sacrificed herself to allow those Drow without Wendonai's taint to become Dark Elves once more.

Note: Lisa Smedan's FR Trilogy "The Lady Penitent" actually covers the sacrifice of the masked lady (aka Eilistraee) and occurs both literally, and figuratively during a "chess" match between the Masked Lady and Lloth. The chess match runs concurrently during the trilogy which is a continuation of the War of the Spider Queen series.

Helm: Is slain by Tyr in a duel over a misunderstanding concerning the marriage of Tyr and Tymora. Tyr believing he has committed great wrongs sheds some of his divine essence and revives Helm. Helm become lord of judgement and guardians.

Note: Parts of this are covered in Thomas Reid's FR trilogy, The Empyrean Odyssey.

Tyr: Perished during a Demon incursion. Weakened by his resurrection of Helm, Tyr is assaulted by Talos and his court of evil gods and demons. The heaven shake with there thunderous blows. Torm seeking to aid his lord, slays several deities. Tyr and Talos war sends them battling through the astral plane.
Lathander: The 'higher sun entity' that he is a part of shifts from it's Lathander phase to it's Amaunator phase.
Velsharoon: Consumed by fire and perished because of it in 1425. Currently, his corpse is in Aglarondian hands, and is a testament to the legacy of The Simbul.
Savras: Killed during Cyric's intrusion into Dweomerheart and his assassination of Mystra.

Some deities have been phased out of existence, having simply been guises for other deities:

Sehanine Moonbow has always been a guise worn by Selūne among the Elves.
Hanali Celanil has always been a guise worn by Sune among the Elves.
Aerdrie Faenya has always been a guise won by Akadi among the Elves.
Talos has always been a guise worn by Gruumsh, among Humans.
Yondella has always been a guise worn by Chauntea, among the Halflings.
Ubtao was never a deity, but instead, a 'Primordial' who turned on his fellows and remained in Faerūn instead of Abeir.

Some of this has not been confirmed including the parts about Mystra's and Helm's resurrections.
TELL ME MORE TELL ME MORE TELL ME MORE!!!

LIKE...

1. What happened to the Seven Sisters?
2. What happened to Ed Greenwood (I mean Elminster)?
3. What happened to the Chosen?
4. Did the geography of Faerun change?
5. Who are the Greater Powers now?
6. What happened to the drow invasion of Cormanthor?
7. Is there now a difference between dark elves and drow?
8. Is Eilistraee dead? (sounds like it)
9. Who is in charge of the Weave now? How does magic work?
10. Whats happened to Maztica?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #26
Kezardin
Elminster

There's a fair amount of information in the FR Wikia (Wiki ? Run fer yer lives !!! ) :

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

but it can take some searching....

For starters, though

Q1 : http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Sisters

Q2 : http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Elminster

Q3 : http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen

Q7 : http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_elf

Q8 : http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eilistraee
Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #27
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

And what's this about Foril, Azoun V's son (ie. Azoun IV's great-grandson) - man it wasn't so long ago Azoun IV was slain by Nalavara the Red, the Devil Dragon, now his GREAT GRANDSON has been ruling for 30 years? What happened to Alusair? And all the people of her time? Are they all dead?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #28
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezardin View Post
Kez, I checked that and it's not really up to date though mate. For starters, Qilue is still alive according to them!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #29
Kezardin
Elminster

According to the compiled timeline in this thread :

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.as...=12815&#275261

1390 DR (Year of the Walking Man): Dowager Dragon Queen, Filfaeril Selazair Obarskyr, dies. TWY, D#365 - Cormyr
Alusair attends the state funeral, argues briefly and privately with her nephew the king, and disappears altogether from Court. Rumors persist of her riding through the frontiers and borderlands, but no confirmed reports of her appearance exist following the burial of Filfaeril.

Last edited by Kezardin; 10-22-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #30
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Kez, I checked that and it's not really up to date though mate. For starters, Qilue is still alive according to them!
There's all sorts of contradictions out there, Memnoch - that's why WoTC want you to buy the books

Nothing to do at the moment but gather as much info as possible and see what makes the most sense, I suppose.

Though one page at the wikia says about Qilue :

In recent events in Flamerule 1379 DR, she is killed and her soul destroyed while the Goddess Eilistraee possessed her body. Qilué/Eilistraee was beheaded by Halisstra Melarn when she was tricked by the balor Wendonai as she was on the verge of redemption.

Last edited by Kezardin; 10-22-2009 at 08:50 AM.