Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
spydar

k, this is hugely techinical (or at least to me it is). if anyone out there with WinXP could go into their setup (by pressing Del when prompted during start up) and tell me what it says for their 1st 2 categories (I think one of them is called BIOS and the other CHOM or something, but they're definitely the 1st two categories in the setup). way back in september my computer had a mystery crash and I had to do a system restore, and I don't think I did it properly cause there are still some things I don't have access to or can't play. and now I can't play Icewind Dale II, which is driving me insane cause that was the only thing I could play when I didn't have access to my boyfriend's brother's computer for War Craft. I played yesterday, but have since tried to fix my WinXP setup and now I get this message: "An assertion failed in ObjAnimation.cpp at line number 20708".

So...anyone who knows computer programming and stuff, I really need some help PLEASE!!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
spydar

k, checked again and it's the BIOS category, and what I'm looking for are the boot devices, right now I have:
Primary Boot Device: CD-ROM
Secondary Boot Device: Floppy
THird Boot Device: CD-ROM
I'm pretty sure one of those needs to be for the DVD-ROM, but it doesn't give me that option, and when I tried switching it to the optimum or default settings it gave me HDD (which I have no idea what that is). I THINK this is where my problem is, but if anyone else out there knows this stuff please help!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Hmm, in order to boot your pc without a cd in the drive you must boot from the first hdd in series. Usually HDD-0.

BTW, a cd-rom drive to a pc is any optical drive.

Unless your running Knoppix Linux from cd, you shouldset your Primary boot to HDD-0. Thats a zero, not an 'O'

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

It's just a bug caused by a damaged file.

Try re-installing Icewind Dale.

With regards to your BIOS setup (which is a totally separate issue) primary boot device should be set to floppy, secondary to IDE-0 and third to CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
spydar

k, I'll try your suggestions, thanx people!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
spydar

it doesn't give me the option of IDE-0, so I have:
Primary: Floppy
Secondary: HDD-0
Third: CD-ROM

any more suggestions?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That looks like a good boot sequence, although I might put the CD-ROM before HDD-0. Then I can boot from CD if needed.

Have you tried reinstalling IWD, as Dace suggested?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

lol, that is the correct boot sequence order. You do not need to change anything.

With regards to the error you have with IWD2, just reinstall it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #9
spydar

it won't let me reinstall, I tried going through it the way I always do and I get this message:
"Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ct or.dll The specified module could not be found."

anyone have any idea what this is?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:56 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Unless your running Knoppix Linux from cd, you shouldset your Primary boot to HDD-0. Thats a zero, not an 'O'
1. Knoppix isn't the only distro using a Live CD. There's also Ubuntu, Mandrake, Suse, DamnSmallLinux, and probably plenty more I don't know.

2. Why would boot from CD be restricted to a live CD Linux distro? There are plenty of other reasons to want to boot from the CDROM, including installing almost *any* OS (every linux distro I know of, Windows since Win95, and MacOS all to my knowledge use bootable CDs to install from).

3. Why should the harddrive boot *first*, in any case?
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote