Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
spydar

He killed himself today, some of us will miss him.

For those of you who don't know who he is rent "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" or "Where the Buffalos Roam". He wrote "Fear and Loathing", and lived most of it, while "Where the Buffalos Roam" wasn't written with his permission (but I think it's still good). But just a precursor warning, these movies are most definitely NOT PG-13, excessive drugs and alcohol abuse along with many other things.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Whoa! News to me spydar. Any links you know of?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 AM   #3
Seraph
Quintesson

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/book...bit/index.html

You know, Google will let you search the stories of a very large collection of news sources, and they have over 100 different links to places with this story.

[ 02-21-2005, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:08 AM   #4
spydar

I just posted it after while watching the news.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

This was so spooky .. I was only telling someone about the book 'Fear and Loathing' and its author just 12 hours before But when I heard the news my first thought was WOW he was still alive in 2005! that in itself was an achievment.

Great book BTW, even my attorney recommends it, now where did those blue pills go? I need to get another shot before I go to the drug convention.

Another counter culture hero bites the dust

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Violet
Manshoon

What a loss.
Selfish bastage.
[img]\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VioletMcKeever/AniV.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />A Man With Poetry On His Lips Also Has Wings On His Heart<br />The Harder You Run From Your Dreams, The Harder They Run After You<br />I Am Not A Human Having Spiritual Experiences, I Am A Spirit Having Human Experiences<br />Smart As A Whip; Heart Of Gold; Tough As Nails; Lost In The Woods
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #7
Gab
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Violet:
What a loss.
Selfish bastage.
What do you mean? When you're very depressed, sucide is often percieved as the only way out.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
Violet
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Gab:
quote:
What a loss.
Selfish bastage.
What do you mean? When you're very depressed, sucide is often percieved as the only way out. [/QUOTE]True.
It's also true that suicide is selfish.
Mr. Hunter was a 67 year old long-time alcoholic and drug abuser so there is no doubt depression played a role. I wouldn't put the effect of drama away so fast though. At 67 he was well wise enough to know there are plenty of resources available for rehabilitation and counseling (unlike younger victims of depression that leads to suicide). How many people would remember him if he died quietly in a hospital bed hooked up to dialysis while waiting on a list for a new used liver and set of kidneys?
[img]\"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VioletMcKeever/AniV.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />A Man With Poetry On His Lips Also Has Wings On His Heart<br />The Harder You Run From Your Dreams, The Harder They Run After You<br />I Am Not A Human Having Spiritual Experiences, I Am A Spirit Having Human Experiences<br />Smart As A Whip; Heart Of Gold; Tough As Nails; Lost In The Woods
Old 02-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
spydar

I must say violet that I am very offended that you say he was selfish. my brother attempted suicide, he felt that there was no way out, he was trapped with no one to talk to, and felt that in a family of 9 he had no one who understood and cared. depression is an actual mental illness that turns people down very dark roads. don't call it selfish, words like that just make people who are thinking of suicide feel even worse about themselves. try a little understanding and compassion.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
Violet
Manshoon

Here, let me re-phrase and censor my original post in a manner that will not offend then.

Quote:
What a loss.
My apologies.

*Don't think I know nothing of suicude and depression just because I do not take the same views on the subject as you OK? I happen to be very well educated - up close and personal - on both subjects and in numerous formats.
Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

[ 02-22-2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Violet ]