Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I just got my mage to 18th level today, and man it's been a real fight all of the way. Almost all of it has been soloing. I chose a server (Dragonblight) with a lower population, but I still see other undead players running around (mostly warlocks, but occasionally other characters). Any time I put out a request to group on the #4 channel for an area, I rarely get responses, and most of the ones I do get involve "oh, I did that one by myself". I've only had three groups so far. Once was to do that Agamand Crypt (had 3 other players join, making it easy), once was with a warrior that was only level 10 (and he died in the same crypts, then left the game), and once just yesterday with a warlock 5 levels lower than me (just to grind regular stuff). People will stop real quick to cast buffs for free on you, but then head along their way. I've done pretty well soloing, but I have to be REAL careful all of the time (one bad pull and I can be in trouble; I can handle two mobs, sometimes three weaker, but I constantly have to skulk around picking off one at a time as best I can). I've died a lot (I've counted over 25 deaths so far, but that includes getting caught in the middle of a raid and getting a pvp flag after buffing another Horde guy). I get lots of offers for duels (mostly by guys 20+ levels higher than me), but no real offers to group. I have lots of tougher quests left to do in my quest log, and I think I'm probably going to be stuck grinding more levels until I get strong enough to do them (including the elite ones) by myself.

I've actually thought about changing servers to a more populated server, or even changing over to another class that can make soloing a bit easier. I do like my character so far, but the whole reason I'm playing a MMPORPG is so that I can group with others (you know, just having some kind of tank in front and some kind of healer in the party). Any suggestions as far as changes or ways to increase my "marketability" to a group?

(Oh, on a side note, anyone notice that the Horde players get picked on a lot by the Alliance guys? It seems like every single day they are raiding us, and they always kick the Horde guys' butts because we are constantly outnumbered. I have yet to play a day without running into paladins in the middle of the road, and they get all rude with dancing around me and farting trying to provoke me into fighting. Gets a little annoying, but with Horde being outnumbered so badly it is not surprising we get bullied as much as we do. Maybe Horde needs some kind of recruitment drive or something...).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I have problems finding parties period. It doesn't help that I speak only in old english/leet.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well... from the Alliance side of thing, I have no problem grouping.

I play on Icecrown. Areas level 1-30 are always very populated, and 30-50 have a decent population too, so it's easy to pick up a group.

You will have a easier time finding partners if you tell people you are recruiting for a particular quest (LFG for [For the Horde]).

Still on Icecrown, I made an horde character and got him to Orgrimar. I was surprised to see how empty the place was. The level 1-15 orc/troll areas were almost deserted, Orgrimar had maybe 30 people top in it. In Ironforge, I'd say there are around 300+ people 24/7. The lad is so bad that when I get close to the AH my p4 3ghz freeze for 30-60 seconds to load up everyone.

But from what I've seen, the average horde player was higher lvel than the aliance one.

What you should do is find a good clan and join it. I hunt all the time with the people of my clan.

About pvp... I don't know how it is on your side of the fence, but hordes constantly attack our zones too. A couple day ago a complete clan Dominated the elven capital city for about an hour. Westfall and Hillsbrad are also very often under attack.

I remember back when I was hanging out in Ashenvale Forest. Every day the town would be raided, there has been times when I had to wait up to 30 mins to be able to turn in a quest because the npcs kept getting killed.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
spydar

the time of the day you typically play, I would assume, also makes a difference in the amount of people you may run into. if you're like me and shun even the remotest form of human contact then playing REALLY late at night is good cause there's relatively no one around to bother you, but there's also no one around to help. I find that the peak hours seem to be between 5pm-10pm (heavy on the ish). this would probably be the time that you would run into more people who might be able to help. I usually just wait and see if anyone is killing the same things I need to kill and then just invite them.

[ 03-01-2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: spydar ]
Old 03-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Last night I actually joined a group (at first just me and a level 20 shaman, then we added a level 27 warrior). We ended up going on one of the elite quests (died twice, but man both hard and fun at the same time). Had a blast, so who knows, maybe I'm finally reaching those levels where people will join up with me.

Let me tell you, Luvian, Horde areas are always pretty empty. I walk into the Undercity, type /who horde, and there are maybe 10 people in the city, and about 30 - 40 horde players in the entire game. Type /who alliance, and there are easily 5 times that number. I never hear of any Horde raids, yet Alliance always raids the Horde. They even come in solo to ride the zeppelins, etc. They realize they greatly outnumber the Horde players and just don't care. However, due to the low volume, I rarely have lag (the AH in Ogrimmar has maybe 8 people tops in it at any given time, and other than peroidic light lag during certain peak periods it is pretty much lag free).

Maybe it is the time I play, because when I play on the weekends, then numbers given above spike significantly (as do the number of alliance raids, as the percentage of alliance v.s. horde also jumps in favor of the alliance during that time).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 03-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm sure the Horde on your server attack the alliance too, it's just that you don't see it.

There are high levels on your server, and they have nothing else to do, so of course they will raid.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

LOL...that is true. Once you max out level there is nothing better than to raid. I guess I'll just stick with it (though I am thinking of starting either a druid or a warlock as a second character).
Old 03-02-2005, 11:56 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Play a priest if you want to group a lot, they get asked for a lot.

They aren't just heal slaves, they have some pretty decent attack spells. Some people say if set up right, they have better single target damage than mages.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Hmmm...I might just do that. Set up a priest as a group character then set up a druid or warlock as a more solo oriented character.