Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-13-2001, 03:42 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I have witnessed a coming together from people here in Manhattan. People are consoling, hugging, writing messages on cardboard in Union Square, lighting candles, being more courteous and patient, smiling at each other. A group of us had a prayer session at one end of union square. We prayed for those killed those injured, the families of both. We prayed for the mental health of those involved and wisdom for the counselors, strength for the medical staff, perseverance for rescue workers.

A friend here has his cousin - a firefighter - missing. We gathered around him.

We prayed for those affected economically, for those afraid, for those now homeless. For the mental and ophysical health of the children.

Then there was the celebration. The thanks for being alive, for an extra day, an extra minute. Life is a gift. We don't earn the right to birth. Every moment is a bonus. Any of us can go at any time, in a car accident or an horrific event such as this.

I have no fear of death were it to befall me. I know where I am going. I am relishing every instant of this life, and have done since I became alert to the fragile mortality we possess years ago. It is times like this that reinforce that. Ram it home. I try and remember the lessons so that I don't have to re-learn them the hard way.

Life is good. Go out side get some sky and some wind. Drink some water and give thanks for survival. Do this rather than giving in to despair, to quarreling, to fixating on the problems of America, or vengance or Bushes failings, or Bin Ladens lunacy. Find the positives from this. People can and are drawing together from this tragedy, just as they can give way to anger, hate and arguments both in the streets of Dallas or on a public message board.

Let us pull together. None of us here is a suicidal terrorist, so let us be glad of each others views, as hurtful or "wrong" they may be. Conversely let us show sensativity at this time. Emotions - fear, confusion, anger, patriotism, a sense of violation and trepidation of times to come - are running high. Fuses are short. When the dust settles (literally) there will be time for self analysis, time for change, time for directional assessment. For now let us be as one. One in our humanity and in the very fact that we are alive.

Hallelujah.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-13-2001, 03:45 PM   #2
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

All I can say to that is......WOW

I won't even try to comment on it, it was too good....

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
Good guys CAN get the girl, if they only have a little patience!
Old 09-13-2001, 03:48 PM   #3
dominions
Elminster

It sounds very touching, Yorick. Glad that you're OK.
Nothing can crush the Human spirit!

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum
Old 09-13-2001, 03:52 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Overall I'm glad I'm not there, but in a way I wish I could see firsthand the second biggest city in the world pull together, pick up and rebuild their lives. It has to be amazing. New Yorkers have always had this rep for being locked into their own world, and that will all change permanently. It would be something to see.

Thanks for posting this Yorick. I'm sending this to everyone in my address book.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-13-2001, 03:53 PM   #5
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

None of us here is a suicidal terrorist,
Actually I am a dangerous "Sicko" who ought to be shot, or at least banished from the country. Just ask Lilaria and some of the other people here.

Great post and thoughts, though, Yorick.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:55 PM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Actually I am a dangerous "Sicko" who ought to be shot, or at least banished from the country. Just ask Lilaria and some of the other people here.

Great post and thoughts, though, Yorick.
I don't think anybody really thinks that. It was a big misunderstanding. I for one don't think there's anything wrong with you.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-13-2001, 04:00 PM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I don't think anybody really thinks that. It was a big misunderstanding. I for one don't think there's anything wrong with you.
Ditto for me. We've been on opposite "sides" of a discussion in the last few days and I harbor no ill will. You may badger the HECK out of a topic and pick my views to pieces, but it just helps me see whether or not I really, truly believed it deep down or if it was just "rhetoric" that I'd been taught.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-13-2001, 04:02 PM   #8
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Ditto for me. We've been on opposite "sides" of a discussion in the last few days and I harbor no ill will. You may badger the HECK out of a topic and pick my views to pieces, but it just helps me see whether or not I really, truly believed it deep down or if it was just "rhetoric" that I'd been taught.

Were you throwing that towards me or agreeing with me that Dio aint all that bad?

------------------

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-13-2001, 04:06 PM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Were you throwing that towards me or agreeing with me that Dio aint all that bad?
(haha!) I was agreeing with you! Sorry if I confused you.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-13-2001, 04:09 PM   #10
Absynthe

Thanks for the message, Yorick. You have provided us with a concrete example of what is good in humanity, what we should try to find in ourselves.
May your God continue to bless you.