Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-13-2001, 09:52 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Anyone seen Donut?

Soccer: Liverpool grab draw but Arsenal beaten

Michael Owen salvaged a point for Liverpool with his 12th goal of the season yesterday as last season's Uefa Cup winners returned to the Champions Cup for the first time in 16 years with a 1-1 draw against Boavista.

Portuguese champions Boavista, who had seven yellow cards in the game, took a third-minute lead through Brazilian forward Elpidio Pereira Silva, but Owen levelled in the 29th.

"We have a lot of work to do," said Liverpool's French coach, Gerard Houllier. "At the moment we are conceding too many goals. We must improve our game if we defend better."

Before kickoff, the fans and players held a minute's silence as a mark of respect to those who died and were injured in the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.

It was Liverpool's first game back in the Champions Cup since the 1985 Heysel Stadium tragedy in Brussels, when rioting fans caused a stampede that led to the deaths of 39 Juventus supporters.

In Palma de Mallorca, Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger pointed to the 11th-minute sending off of England defender Ashley Cole as the defining moment in his team's 1-0 defeat away to Real Mallorca.

Veteran midfielder Vicente Engonga chipped in from the ensuing penalty to give the islanders a dream start to their debut Champions League campaign.

"Cole's sending off was the key to the match because it is not the same playing with 10 men as with 11," Wenger said.

The England defender was sent off by Danish referee Knud Erik Fisker for bringing down Albero Luque, becoming the third Arsenal player to be sent off in just five matches this season.

Since Wenger became Arsenal manager in October 1996, 35 Arsenal players have been red-carded.

In Rome, Luis Figo delivered a masterful performance as Real Madrid beat AS Roma 2-1.

Real's performance in the battle of the Spanish and Italian champions was early evidence that the eight-time European champions will again be among the favourites this season.

It was Real's first victory in Italy since they beat Juventus in the European Cup quarter-finals in 1962.

In the English domestic scene, second-division Reading knocked premier league West Ham United out of the League Cup with a 6-5 penalty shootout win after the teams ended goal-less after 120 minutes of action in their second-round tie.

Premier league new boys Fulham looked like going the same way at Rochdale as the third-division leaders led 2-1 in the last minute of extra time, only for Rufus Brevett to fire in an equaliser in the 120th minute and allow Fulham to go on to win 6-5 on penalties.

There was another last-gasp equaliser at Bolton, where Japanese international Akinori Nishizawa made it 3-3 in the 90th minute before Wanderers beat first-division Walsall 4-3 in extra time.

Middlesbrough, bottom of the premier league table without a point to their name, got their first win of the season when they beat Northampton Town 3-1.

Southampton also chalked up their first win and their first goals after three successive 2-0 league defeats - a 3-0 success at Brighton.

Rushden and Diamonds, who marked their first month in the football league with a surprise victory over high-flying Burnley in the last round, again performed creditably before going out 2-0 after extra time at first-division Crewe.

More premier league teams are in action today, with those involved in European competition joining in a later round.

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 10:06 AM   #2
Sir_Tainly

all I wish to say, is....

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 09-13-2001, 10:13 AM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

Your post title is a bit misleading. Which game did Liverpool win? Was it the one where they grabbed a draw or am I missing something?

Football is a relative game - a draw at home against a poor Portuguese side is not better than a defeat away against a team in one of the strongest leagues in Europe. This was only the first game of six - there's a long way to go.

Now, why don't one of you two talk me through the glorious 3-1 defeat by Aston Villa - I see that your assault on the premier league is gathering pace. What price relegation?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-13-2001, 11:08 AM   #4
Vampire

BAARRRRRR!!!!
Memmnoch is just trying drive us mad.
What can I do.....?The Gunners will strike back...mark these words (actually don't )

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 11:24 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Your post title is a bit misleading. Which game did Liverpool win? Was it the one where they grabbed a draw or am I missing something?

Football is a relative game - a draw at home against a poor Portuguese side is not better than a defeat away against a team in one of the strongest leagues in Europe. This was only the first game of six - there's a long way to go.

Now, why don't one of you two talk me through the glorious 3-1 defeat by Aston Villa - I see that your assault on the premier league is gathering pace. What price relegation?

To the tune of 'She'll be coming 'round the mountain'

Oh, it's all gone quiet over there
oh it's all gone quiet over there
oh it's all gone quiet, all gone quiet
it's all gone quiet over there

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-13-2001, 11:27 AM   #6
Vampire

Arsenal is having difficulties beating Liverpool in set-piece engagements though....

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 11:29 AM   #7
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Just a typical memsy thread.....

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

The Spaminyte Emperor
Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-13-2001, 11:35 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

To the tune of 'She'll be coming 'round the mountain'

Oh, it's all gone quiet over there
oh it's all gone quiet over there
oh it's all gone quiet, all gone quiet
it's all gone quiet over there

It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 03:29 PM   #9
Sorcerer Alex

Didn't know you were a soccer fan Memnoch....you've gone up in my estimations now

Old 09-13-2001, 03:32 PM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Not rooting for either team at this point, but I just couldn't resist.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! (That's a High C).

there - the "fat lady" just sang!

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)