Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2001, 12:14 PM   #1
dragon_lord
Elminster

Wohoo! I did it, I beat the twisted rune losers with only my multi classed Half-ELf (fighter/mage/thief). It took me an hour of play to find a way of killing them. Heres how I did it: I made shangalar appear on the table in the centre and ran out of his view before he said anything. I then cast 2 fog of death spells to get him down to near death. Then I cast 7th level spell turning and run out so he would speak to me. As soon as he teleported near the entrance I hit him with the ring of the ram and he panicked and run off and got killed in the fog of death that was still active. As I hit shangalar with the ring of the ram his beholder friend was casting away, no problem his spells came right back at him He ended up being petrified by his own spell (Haha!). Luckily his eye survived so I could get of there! It didnt take much more to kill the other 3 but that vampire was a little tough (stupid level drain....)
Old 07-07-2001, 01:06 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Cool stuff. It's nice working out a strategy and then getting it to work, isn't it?

------------------
Old 07-07-2001, 01:08 PM   #3
Dramnek_Ulk

i've done it before by improve hasting minsc and giving him cloak of mirrors & negative plane protection, then running forward and just sitting him there while he shoots away with tanshrons bow wile evertone else hid in the corridor.

------------------
These sweet and gracious monkey balls,
Served on plates and sold from stalls,
Bring madness to these hallowed halls
Of urban academe.

Huzzaks for chocolate monkey balls!
We'll eat them 'til the ceiling falls,
'Til Time, herself, tears down these walls
Of urban academe.

So buy yourself a monkey ball,
Savour it and then stand tall,
A bulwark 'gainst the deaf'ning call
Of urban academe.

Old 07-07-2001, 01:57 PM   #4
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

out of interest, can I do the twisted rune at level 13?
Old 07-07-2001, 02:27 PM   #5
Nazgūl
Manshoon

i wouldnt recomend it.

------------------

and the sky will rain fire...
Old 07-07-2001, 02:43 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by DonkeyWan:
out of interest, can I do the twisted rune at level 13?
If you have a strategy, anything's possible.

If you have the bonus merchants installed, go buy the Shield of Balduran, and give it to your main "front line" warrior. This will eliminate one opponent (the Beholder) without any fight whatsoever.

Make sure you memorize multiple anti-invisibility spells, and multiple anti-defense spells (Breach, Pierce Magic, Secret Word, etc.). Also, summoning spells/items make a huge difference (Wizard Eye and/or Mordenkainen's Sword are especially effective, since they take massive amounts of damage without dispelling; may be considered "cheap," but it works). Cloudkills, Death Fogs, etc. are also effective. Also, Negative Plane Protection (or items that allow you to resist energy drain) is important for dealing with the vampire, since it drains 4 levels a hit! Finally, the archmage casts Gate, so have Protection from Evil 10' radius memorized.

I usually keep my party along the north wall of the entrance room, except for the character with the Shield of Balduran, who I keep in the middle of the room. Send that character in, and when the lich appears, run back to the entrance room. That way, you will only have to deal with the lich and the beholder first. After they are gone, then you can choose to go along the north end of the big table (archmage), or south (vampire and others). I prefer the south; send a character in, and lure them back to the entrance room. That will split up the opponents into little clusters that are more manageable. If possible, retreat everyone back to the entrance room after each opponent killed and save the game.

I hope this helps!

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 07-07-2001, 02:49 PM   #7
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Donkeywan, you can do the quest whenever. Survival is a different matter. I think I done this around level 13 or so myself........tough though.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:09 PM   #8
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Great work taking out the whole Twisted Rune solo! I did it with my Undead Hunter, but he had several magical items augmenting him.

Wonder if a Solo Thief could handle that lot.... hmmm....

Old 07-07-2001, 09:48 PM   #9
dragon_lord
Elminster

My multi classed character was level 14/14/16 so with a party of level 13+ it shouldnt be that hard. My next challenge is taking down The Mighty(ha!)Kangaax.
Old 07-08-2001, 10:27 AM   #10
Balor
Dungeon Master

easy protect from magic... then he is easy as pie..