Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 02:59 PM   #1
Eladamri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm getting very desperate. Whenever my party enters a battle, everything on the screen gets real slow and the animation becomes choppy. I checked the settings on configuration, and my computer is well above the minimum requirements for it to run smoothly. Yet, it doesn't. Has this happened to anyone else? I can't play until I get this fixed, because the simplest battles take at least 10 minutes to complete. If anyone knows what is going on, your help would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:03 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Try to turn off 3-D in graphics option, and maybe bump every setting down a bit.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 06-03-2001, 03:04 PM   #3
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Tried patches? Disable "real time" virus scanner?

www.interplay.com

Here's the site - check out their boards for FAQ on this type of thing.

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:08 PM   #4
Eladamri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The only way I could get it to work is by setting to the very lowest level of effects. If I can't get a solution, I'll just play it that way, but that's almost as bad. On the lowest level, there is no sound, and the animation is pretty bad.
Old 06-03-2001, 04:58 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

The things that eat most system resources are:

3D spell effects
Large static animations
Background sound effects
Small static animations

What spec is your PC?
Mine is a PII 350 with a 3dfx Voodoo 2 PCI card. I have the spell effects turned off as my graphics card can't handle it, but all the rest is turned on and it runs OK with only slight slowing down when there are loads of critters on screen.
Have you defragged your hard drive lately? That may help things to run smoother.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-03-2001, 07:41 PM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

If you are running it on a AMD machine change the settings to averege prestanda.. and try to trun off eax and footstep sounds, ambient sounds..

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Old 06-03-2001, 08:53 PM   #7
Eladamri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I tried all the things above, and they worked, sort of. The game will run fine for a while, but will slow down at random times. There is no pattern to when it slows down, it just happens whenever. I have to wait a few hours, then it starts working fine again. I fiddle around some more and see what I can do.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:13 PM   #8
Scottith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What is your processor speed how much memory do you have and what video card are you running??
Old 06-03-2001, 09:47 PM   #9
Eladamri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've got a Dell with a Pentium 4. I have 45.6 Gigabytes of memory. My video card is a GE Force2 GTS. I've got 256 Megabytes of RAM and my processor speed is 1.4 Gigahertz. I'm not entirely sure what all that means, but does anyone see something that would cause a problem?
Old 06-03-2001, 09:54 PM   #10
Pain-Wrath
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Eladamri:
I've got a Dell with a Pentium 4. I have 45.6 Gigabytes of memory. My video card is a GE Force2 GTS. I've got 256 Megabytes of RAM and my processor speed is 1.4 Gigahertz. I'm not entirely sure what all that means, but does anyone see something that would cause a problem?
Have you tried to reinstal it? You could have gotten a bug while installing it, they attach themselves to files if you didn't know that. Also, do you use the cheats? Sometimes that slows down my battles/everything. Try to do everything you can, Or simply reinstall it, hope this could be of some help.

Pain is the beginning of fear...
Fear is the beginning of death...
Death is the beginning of life...
But the pain will surpass...

[This message has been edited by Pain-Wrath (edited 06-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Pain-Wrath (edited 06-03-2001).]