Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2001, 05:02 AM   #1
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

I was just reading the ToB news (here) and it says that 40 hours of gameplay are added. If after, what about 500 ish (BG1, TOTSC + BG2) you are only at about 3 million, how the hell are you going to get up to 8 million in just that small amount of time? There must be some really big beasties about!
Does it mean that you have to go back and do more of the subquests in the main game, or do you think there will be enough XP's in TOB to cover this huge rise?
Staralfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 06:17 AM   #2
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

I've seen many people post that they have hit the XP cap well before the end of BGII, so I suppose that in a new game you might rise well above the current cap before the end of the game. Most of the reviews state there will be very challenging encounteres, even for experienced parties, so I expect that the expansion *will* be a major source of XPs. If you aare using pure class characters, or a small party (or solo), the levels will come much faster as well.
Zateel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 06:17 AM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

it's relative.
who would have thot when you started bg2 at 89,000 or, uh...171,000 (?) if you played tosc, that getting up to 3m was possible?

yes, there will be outstanding baddies, too. big nasty thingies that creepy crawly outta your worst nightmares. *lol*

the tob discussions at bis forums can illuminate you in that respect. *ducks to avoid various large items being thrown at her*

beware! there be spoilers there, in abundance!!

V***V

sorry, guys, but i am in love with dave g....i'm guaranteed sightings of him over there! *smiles & sighs*

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 06-16-2001).]
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 06:26 AM   #4
Leagle
Manshoon

TOB will be different from the rest because it leaves some room at the top. You will still be surprised at what you can gain though.
Leagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 07:58 AM   #5
Dramnek_Ulk

according to amazon the cap is level 32,i thought it was 40?

------------------
Old 06-16-2001, 08:41 AM   #6
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
it's relative.
who would have thot when you started bg2 at 89,000 or, uh...171,000 (?) if you played tosc, that getting up to 3m was possible?
True, but then again you had 200+ hours of game play, and they started giving loads of XP's for not doing too much.

Quote:

according to amazon the cap is level 32,i thought it was 40?
It depends which class. I think rogues can reach level 40, but mages and some other classes can 'only' reach level 32 with 8 million XP's. It like BG2 rogues can reach level 21 (?), all the other classes are less than this.
UPDATE - apparently the XP cap is enough for thieves to reach level 42, however there is an in game limit of 40 for them.

[This message has been edited by Staralfur (edited 06-16-2001).]
Staralfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 02:13 PM   #7
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yep if you read the website, they said they are going to have some major foes in the Throne of Baal, and that with constant play you are going to level up extremely fast, sometimes one level every 2 hours.
SO look forward to some high level monster bashing, I doubt there will be alot of quest type stuff with the addon, probably more maniac fighting than anything else, along with new magic items.
SO forget your little quests, those are for kids. Look for some hectic battles against who knows what. Timestopping mages, Deadly assassins, Multiple liches? I'd guess many many demons and dragons, and who knows what else. I'm sure your going to be up against some level 40 thieves trying to backstab you, and level 30 mages and what not.

I hear the first battle you get into with throne of Baal is the low end of the addon, and that battle starts with multiple vampires and more. There ain't no gnolls and orcs and goblins in Throne of Baal. The vampire is the low end of the totem pole.
sunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 03:44 PM   #8
Encard
Quintesson

Grin. This will be fun... I wonder how much XP stuff Demogorgan will give? Hmm... What do you think? Any guesses? Also, does anyone know any of the new spells in ToB? I've heard of only 2 specific ones by now... Hmm... lvl 40ish... Yesss... Gooood...

------------------
Darkness will devour your soul...

[This message has been edited by Encard (edited 06-16-2001).]
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 12:33 AM   #9
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Nope, probably we won't hear much until they release it, probably just rumors and such until then. They won't have it in time to have it released early to gaming sites and such, chances are it will be on the shelves as fast as they can get it marked "GOLD" and out the door.
So we will wait and see! And have everyone flood the boards about all the new wildmage suff and new items later.
sunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 12:43 AM   #10
trux

some info on new spells can be found in the throne of bhaal video from E3. i can't link it unfortunately 'cause i forgot where i originially downloaded it, but you can find it on any major baldur's gate 2 site, ign, gamespot, etc.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote