Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 03-28-2003, 08:03 AM   #1
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

1. doesnt anyone look at this forum ? the last post besides my other topic was 3 days ago. does no-one care about NWN or is everyone posting in the other NWN forum ?

2. is it possible to get a little bit more control over NPCs ?
...Eg. I tell my henchman to stay back and shoot, someone engages them in melee, they die. I mean how much of a no-brainer is it to swap to a sword ? I cant even manually tell them to change because you cant talk to NPCs during combat

3. Im having all sorts of trouble killing the half-orc dude in blacklakes-no mans land. I'm a Level 3 human barbarian with great-axe and chain +1. Ive tried a few different henchmen for the battle, though I usually use the cleric. So far Ive completed the peninsular district (pretty much completely I think). I also have a battle axe / shield combo (shield +2 vs humans or something). Ive tried barbarian rage and attack with/out power attack. also tried parrying so the cleric can do her stuff.

please no spoilers on this, its my first time through, but if anyone can give me a hint on killing this one guy I would appreciate it.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:06 AM   #2
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

more questions:

4. is there a mage/sorcerer NPC ? only divine magic user I can find is the bard in the mercenary bar.

5. any other general tips for a newbie to NWN ? I have had a little bit of experience with 3rd ed rules playing IWD2, but mostly I know the 2nd ed better.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

1. yes

2. nope--- but you can tell them to guard, stay be aggressive etc via the righclick dialouge choices you have in combat.

3. Buy yourself some nifty potions.. barkskin, bless, aid etc that boasts your overall performances.. bullstrength etc.. You might find the battle a bit wasier after that.

4. The gnome that wants the bread recipee is a sorcerer.

5. The more + the better, save often, make sure to learn how to use your skills and abilities at the right time, donīt be afraid to use them alot. As long as you find money you can buy more potios to boast you.

Donīt play at being a packmule. Take feats that improves your way of playing, a fighter to deal out loads and loads of damage and being able to withstand damage. Ironwill and combat reflexes will save your life and hitpoints.

Read the help screens, read the manual over the basics, and listen to the dialouges in the game.

Always have a backup plan: for a barbarian, axes are funny but donīt overlook the oppurtunity to use all thoose throwing weapons and ammunition to other weapons you find on the way. Use them against chests, traps, locked in characters to avoid unnecesary dmaage to yourself.

Save often At least after every loadscreen and donīt be afraid to make an extra save to try something completely new out.

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

1) I think everyone's too busy playing mods [img]tongue.gif[/img]
The other forum is quieter still, by the way.

2) Without scripting and manually adjusting henchman options, no. The best way to get around it is to make sure the enemy is attacking you or one of your animals (if any).

3) Potions help, but you may also want to finish other areas first and come back later. He's not part of the main quest, but it is one tough fight.

4) Wolfie is right, boddyknock is a sorcerer

5) Learn to know your spells and abilities early, don't be afraid to rest, save often. Missileweapons and hit-and-run sometimes do beat chopping everything up, but it's not as much fun. Watch out for bloated direspiders.

That'll be all, young grashopper [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

ok thanks you guys. I actually had tried coming back once already (he was the first guy I ran into, couldnt beat him so I went and did the peninsula instead), but I guess I'll just have to leave him later still.

As far as weapons go, the chainmail +1 was a consession to the fight being really hard, because I really wanted to roleplay this barbarian as a savage conan-style thing. I dont even normally use the shield, opting for the biggest axe most of the time... and that's it. no armour, no shield, just a loin-cloth and a big-ass axe. it's actually pretty funny walking around town in a loin cloth as all the citizens make jokes about your state of undress (when they're not scared of the axe, or it's sheathed).
Old 03-28-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
DraconisRex

1. Yes. But I don't always coorespond. I read everyday. But sometimes don't
feel as if I can really add to/deal with any particular subject.

2. Yes. A lot more control. There is an NPC plug-in that I use. The file
name is "pausemods.zip." I don't remember where I got it. The help file
says this is the location:

http://snow.prohosting.com/wperpo

3. The half-orc is tough. Your biggest problem is that you're underleveled.
But there shouldn't be that much trouble, if you're properly experienced.

4. The gnome sorcerer and the elven cleric are the only other spell casting
types.

5. This *isn't* 2nd edition. Which means you can't have the seriously
unbalanced characters like you could in in 2E. Now, all stats have
importance. Not just "class" stats.

EDITED:

Also, this link:

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpack...21482987.shtml

[ 03-28-2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: DraconisRex ]
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
DraconisRex

THis is a description of the changes:

This mod, tested by hundreds of kind people on the BioWare forums, allows you to control your henchman/animal companion/familiar's inventory, and it improves the battle performance of both friends and foes. This is the override version of the mod, for use with the Official Campaign and with user-made modules that do not change the standard AI. See the README for complete information. To install, just run the executable. The source code is available at the scripts section of NWVault.

New for v0.92: Fixes for healing and version 1.29 update. Version 0.91 contains improved spellcaster AI (optional – on by default). Henchman, familiars, and animal companions can be told to pick up items and tell you to open chests. In addition, some can be told to recover traps and automatically open locks. Henchman and monsters will make better use of items such as thieves’ tools, healing kits, and magic devices (only non equippable ones i.e. wands, rods, and scrolls). The default AI installed will use spells and abilities more often and use them better. Familiars can optionally have a beneficial effect on the master.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 04:24 AM   #8
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

thanks dranconis, Im downloading it now.

btw. Ive now done the blacklake area as well (apart from the zoo and Never's Tomb) and dropped in and killed that half orc on the way back. got him, finally

now its off the the begger district