Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #21
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: New Automobile, lease or purchase?

pfffft

Buy a motorbike instead

when you ride you really don't give a hoot about costs of lease / depreciation ..... cause your smiling too much

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #22
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Just beware of mileage overages....

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #23
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
$851 monthly
I just noticed this monthly cost figure. Don't do it, IMO. You should be able to get any number of luxury Euro autos, whether on lease or financing or outright sale, for that sort of cheddar. That's almost half a mortgage on a half million dollar home.

Not to get political, but the richest 1% are only getting richer, and this has resulted in several large upticks on prices on luxury goods of all types. Luxury sellers of all luxury goods have had a great year this year, and their increasing prices reflect that.

On the flip side, the depreciation on luxury items (with possibly watches as a slight exception) has conversely been great, a boon to buyers willing to look for the right items that are "used." You can probably find (no research here - just hypothesis) a great 5-yr. old S-series Mercedes convertible for a steal -- certainly less than $800/mo., and more likely along the lines of $400/mo., either finance or lease.

Then again, I'm just an E46 beemer driver, so I'm not in your realm of luxury. But I still think the math I suggest proves true.

That said, I just paid retail on a watch for the first time ever -- with only an Orbita winder thrown in as a free gimme -- so I guess I'm as susceptible as anyone else to marketing, gimmicks, and the "new buyer" treatment from dealers.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 11-13-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #24
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
Just beware of mileage overages....
This is totally true. I've watched my father and sister have to deal with this issue on their cars, in my sister's case an Infinity SUV. I can't recall the model number of her SUV, but I did accidentally crash her (can we call it "vintage" now?) older Miata into it. Ultimately, she got out from under it, but not without some effort.

My E46 sees less than 5K miles per year, so I'd be a perfect lessee. My wife, on the other hand, has to drive to work, so she would have trouble staying under the standard 12K miles per year that most dealers seem to use as a baseline.

If your wife drives more than 12k/yr, I'd say lease is definitely a "no-no," and if she drives less it's less harmful to your wallet, but I refer you to my earlier posts.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:07 AM   #25
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
pfffft

Buy a motorbike instead

when you ride you really don't give a hoot about costs of lease / depreciation ..... cause your smiling too much
I'm sure you meant "you're" my dear Wellard -- Grammar Nazi Has Spoken!

That said, I'd love to have my dad's old Triumph or one of my Uncle's Harleys, or even my sister's ill-fated Suzuki crotch-rocket, to tool around on. Bikes are great, and I've loved them since I first owned one (age 11). I'm living in a City now, so they are less interesting to me. Of course, I've always been more of a dirt bike guy than a road bike guy.

I also know guys who do the front-wheel-stop-on-one-wheel thingie as well as the wheelie-through-traffic thingie, and one of them did die, so I'm not too keen to get into the weaving-through-traffic thingie at 125 mph.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 11-13-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote