Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Boner's response was even worse. So long as Republicans continue to hold the hard line that only tax breaks can create jobs, we're hopeless.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 09-15-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

*laugh*

That's classic, Timber. PunditKitchen is one of the funnier subsets of ICHC.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Uhm......I believe the Jobs bill does include tax breaks, just not for the mega-rich. I believe Obama said it offers tax breaks to the middle class and definitely offers tax breaks and incentives to small businesses.

That will help stimulate the economy, along with putting money into rebuilding our infrastructure. We've already seen that handouts to large corporations don't work because they just split the money among the top execs and take an extended work/getaway to pat themselves on the back for a job well done. I agree with Obama and Buffet that it's time for the ultra-rich to start paying a fairer percentage of their income in taxes.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Uhm......I believe the Jobs bill does include tax breaks, just not for the mega-rich. I believe Obama said it offers tax breaks to the middle class and definitely offers tax breaks and incentives to small businesses.

That will help stimulate the economy, along with putting money into rebuilding our infrastructure. We've already seen that handouts to large corporations don't work because they just split the money among the top execs and take an extended work/getaway to pat themselves on the back for a job well done. I agree with Obama and Buffet that it's time for the ultra-rich to start paying a fairer percentage of their income in taxes.
Tax breaks to the almost non-existent middle class I support. Breaks to small business is good, if you can cajole and educate them into taking advantage of them. OFC I agree that more breaks to corporations don't work, since they are effectively paying about 50% of the taxes they paid prior to Bush.

And I OFC agree with Obama and Buffet that the ultra-rich should start paying more income tax, since they've had a 25+ year hiatus from the Reagan years.

Point of Interest: Since Bush (meaning W. Bush, Bush 43), corporate taxes are way low and the wealthy are paying way less. Both are WAY below Reagan era tax levels, so to hear the references candidates make these days to Reagan is laughable at best. It's just the Rich and their Shills trying to bilk you for more.

Want to know the REAL, the ACTUAL reason, we're having troubles? It's simple:

The only "candidate" to talk about this issue was Donald Trump, and I think he was the first to seriously address it since Ross Perot. Trump committed hara-kiri on the altar of the Birther movement, but the point about trade deficit is valid. We cannot continue, like we have for over 20 years, to allow the trade deficit we have with China. Sure, we need to work on India and other parts of Asia, too, but the point remains the same.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Double post, sorry.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

The main purpose of tax breaks to small companies is to act as an extra incentive to get the business up and running. That should provide a few jobs and, hopefully, will provide more if the business succeeds. Tax breaks will help lower the operating cost and increase the profit margin, which should help the business be more successful (providing the owner is competent and the product/service provided is satisfactory to the customers).

I also agree we need to reverse the trade deficit and Obama seems to reflect the same attitude in his speech about seeing Chevy's and Fords being driven in other countries. One thing I DO know for a fact is that foreign auto manufacturers are being encouraged to open new plants over here. Volkswagon is building a large production plant near Chattanooga, TN. Even though that's about 100 miles from my home, there are still people here that will apply for jobs at the plant. There are also plants here that will be bidding for contracts to supply parts to the new plant.

Our county got hit VERY hard by NAAFTA back in the 90's. We had 3 major textile plants (Levi's, Lee and American Thread). All of these moved to other countries. The Levi's plant is now the National HQ for Snap-On Tools, but I don't think either of the other two plants have any new companies utilizing them yet.

Anyway, it does look like Obama (and the rest of the country) is trying to lure business and production plants back to the US. Those facilities provide hundreds of jobs to the local residents and their products will help improve our lagging economy.

I also agree with Obama's statement that there is no silver bullet that can magically fix the economy overnight. Instead, we have to start with smaller measures that will build upon each other as we go forward and look for long-term solutions rather than short-term quick fixes.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Chewbacca
Zartan

Laughing Out Loud Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Boner's response was even worse. So long as Republicans continue to hold the hard line that only tax breaks can create jobs, we're hopeless.

Simply Brilliant. LOL at "boner" too.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
Were I to say something odd in public, I would expect people to chuckle about it online.

You don't see anything funny, even potentially, in his use of the phrase "if you love me"?
Well it's only funny out of context and only then in a sad way. In real relationships it's a sorta manipulative thing to say IMO.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Well, I still think it's funny just like "read my lips" was funny back in its day.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It'd be more funny if they spliced it together with other out-of-context bites.

Like "If you love me - kill this healthcare bill" or something. That i'd listen to.