Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2002, 05:16 PM   #21
Mellagar

I have read several styles of fantasy books, and I have been trying to keep in the realm of tradition, but at the same time take something that is fiction and drive it into a sort of non-fiction class. For example, mystical beings regardless of what they are, have in themselves a base mortality. In other words, unlike many books I have read in the past, when a character dies, its pretty much final. But aside from that I draw from a bit more grizzlier approach. Battles for example, are not just a simple three page clash of big blokes in armor pounding metal. An example would perhaps be a soldier lying in the corner of a sort of 'medical tent' and would be literally holding a gaping wound in his arm, closed with his teeth. I felt it took away the happy spritely feeling of happy people, but giving it a dose of reality. I have been a historian studier for 8 years and I've pulled in a lot of realistic occurances, such as battles, politics, and the like and merged it into a fantasy world. Of course world meaning just that, a world. I've read many books, some had worlds but many stories took place in certain regions. So I spent the better part of three months creating an entire world, with rivers, towns, cities, races, native creatures, politics, countries, states, island chains, etc. Of course this took me 5 years to get to a point where it has left me with a smile of satisfaction.
I do however have the typical elements, or races of traditional fantasy, but I have added others of my own creation to add some originality to it. Of course certain subject matter I place into the stories would more or less put it in a later category. In other words it wouldn't make for a bedtime story for the kiddies. I made certain of that, heh. I do intend to take the stories elsewhere and into different more exotic levels, but for now the 'series', as it is desperately trying to progress into, is at the beginning stage. My own philosophy of writing is to write what you love, then edit according to public taste. In other words I won't know for certain till I ship it out to the reading eyes of the world...whenever I can find time to publish this damned book...heh.
I'll try and find a good piece of it to post as sample later on, as I am not at home and don't have access to my book.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:23 PM   #22
Dramnek_Ulk

I used to read some fantasy, but I was always searching for the Fantasy equivalent of Iain M. Banks, and I never found one, only repetitive trilogies and series, that all ended up the same thing, but different names.
I don’t mind reading fantasy every so often, but I find most of it, just too samey and light for my preferences.
But I usually prefer Sci-Fi when reading stuff of a fantastical nature, since I’ve always found it to be much more thoughtful and intelligent. (Esp. Short Sci-fi sorties of the 50’ & 60’s)

Old 06-05-2002, 05:31 PM   #23
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I have another question for you all. Ive thought that i might try writing some fantasy, and id like to know if ANYONE can use Faerun in their novels, and add new places to it... does it have any copyright or something or you can just use and modify it at your will ? Its not that i think ill get published LOL but im just curious
Old 06-05-2002, 05:32 PM   #24
SecretMaster
Apophis

Make the story. I am dying to read more fantasy, I just can't get a hold of any. I'm going to start writing short stories, and I'll share them all to you.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:40 PM   #25
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Okay I'm FOURTEEN and I've read almost every single fantasy book my mom owns. And she owns almost all of the DragonLance, Forgotton Realms, all of the WOT (my fav), & she has an entire book shelf designated "David Eddings". [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] (There are still a bunch I havent read though!)

I also have gotton a few of my friends who are my age reading WOT, Lotr, and DragonLance. In fact alot of people I know read fantasty. In the grade ahead of me there are at least two that are 16 that read fantasy. One reads alot of it. Almost as much a me.

--NOTE--I don't count Harry Potter as fantasy. It dosn't deserve it. If I did count it then most of my grade reads fantasy, along with most of the U.S.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:54 PM   #26
Conn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the Conan saga until now... Best fantasy story ever written so far( my humble opinion, off course).

I am 22 and read as much fanatsy as i can...I have even been told that i read it too much..in the detriment of school...( my parent's opinion.. [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Unfortunatelly, the market for fantasy books is very small in Romania... (
Old 06-05-2002, 06:10 PM   #27
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Conn:
I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the Conan saga until now... Best fantasy story ever written so far( my humble opinion, off course).

I am 22 and read as much fanatsy as i can...I have even been told that i read it too much..in the detriment of school...( my parent's opinion.. [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Unfortunatelly, the market for fantasy books is very small in Romania... (
can't you ask the bookstore owner to order it for you from elsewhere ?
I once was looking for a certain book, and i couldn't find it anywhere so i asked a guy in a store to order it for me in america and four weeks later i had the book.