Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-30-2001, 02:07 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

Anyone curious why they included oriental swords, the Kensai kit, the Monk, but NOT the Ninja or Samurai kits??? Or even the Ronin? I think the Ninja would have been great addition, similar to the Assassin, plus it would have added more "cultural flavor" than just the generic Assassin.

Imagine a multi-player party consisting of Ninja, Ronin, and Samurai, now that would be a cool sight! Especially if they included more oriental items like chain weaponry and armors. Imagine your Monk whailing about with a manriki-gusari, with a blade on the end beheading goblins left and right...

MUHAHAHAHA!
Old 11-30-2001, 02:15 PM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Yes, I agree with you, Kaleban..
It is a shame they haven't included the ninja and samurai kits in the original BG2..

Are you aware, though, that they are included in the teambg mod, "The darkest day"?

If not, here's a link to their homepage..
TEAMBG
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2001, 02:50 PM   #3
Kaleban
Manshoon

Maybe its just me, but I'm sort of a purist, and a mod like TDD which adds items, kits and other stuff sort of detracts from the original scope of the game.

I haven't played it yet, that's just my initial reaction. I do play Counter-Strike, but that's a TC mod, which I usually have no problems with, whereas TDD is more of an expansion.

Anyways, is it possible for someone to make a chain weapon with a double-Halberd range or something? That would kick arse!

P.S. If they had been implemented in the original game, then perhaps we'd have a more diverse group of oriental weapons and armor. I see no bamboo armor, samurai scalloped plate, or cord armor...
Old 11-30-2001, 03:17 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
Maybe its just me, but I'm sort of a purist, and a mod like TDD which adds items, kits and other stuff sort of detracts from the original scope of the game.

I haven't played it yet, that's just my initial reaction. I do play Counter-Strike, but that's a TC mod, which I usually have no problems with, whereas TDD is more of an expansion.

Anyways, is it possible for someone to make a chain weapon with a double-Halberd range or something? That would kick arse!

P.S. If they had been implemented in the original game, then perhaps we'd have a more diverse group of oriental weapons and armor. I see no bamboo armor, samurai scalloped plate, or cord armor...

I think you fail to see that most of those items are almost unheard of in the western edge of the forgotten realms (this side of maztica) and only seen in Kara-Tur, which is on the far eastern side, 1/2 a world away.

While it is possible for things (and characters) like that to show up (look at Yoshimo), it would be an extreme rarity, perhaps one of the reasons there are so few decent katanas, as most of the really awesome ones stay in Kara-Tur, I think the programmers kept in mind that some things like the katanas would be alot easier to import to that location of the Realms, as well as implement into the game, besides there are plenty of kits for most purists and as has already been stated, if you're not happy with what's being offered download TDD and play one.

besides if they brought ninja's in there would be no need for an assassin, as they are almost identical in purpose (usually).

just my $.02
Old 11-30-2001, 03:22 PM   #5
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:

There are alot of items for the ninjas, samurajs and all the ohter 73 new kits in TDD..
Sure you're not gonna try it?
Old 11-30-2001, 04:02 PM   #6
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i made a character that was an assassin, dualed to a fighter at level 14, and is now also a 15 level fighter. he is as close to a ninja as you can get, and he kicks major arse. i run around, poison my weapon, and shoot unsuspecting mages in the back with a poisoned shortbow. heh heh, then, they die.the ring of invisibility, and the ring of air,are both useful,available early on, and combined with the cloak of non-detection, makes for a truly powerful (as close as you can get) ninja. use shortswords, shortbows, darts, longswords, daggers, and katanas, and that will keep you in the role-playing aspect. [img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 11-30-2001, 09:27 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

They should have that. And another thing, they should make a game called "BG Travels", which is a game where you travel to famous places Like Kara-Tur and such. And you could get new NPC's and such.