Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-24-2000, 07:36 AM   #1
jklame

I was wondering if anyone has tried playing with only one character. I was going to try but I'm a bit disappointed with the gold situation so I'm torn between attempting a true ironman game and allowing myself a little initial cheat. Also, I suppose a true ironman would only create a single character in the inn so as to disallow storage of extra inventory items but I'm not planning on going that far. Anyway, has anyone tried this? Are there any obvious problems with the idea (e.g. is it not possible because of something in the later stages of the game that I haven't come accross yet?)

There's also the no-town game in which you aren't allowed to go into any of the town buildings. So no side quests, no advanced classes, no moon or fiend magic. Hmmmm no identify and no temple would make cursed items a problem wouldn't it? Or is there a spell that will remove curses? Anyway, any thoughts on a no-town game or some sort of watered-down version thereof? It would certainly make the gold problem a non-issue.

John

Old 10-24-2000, 01:31 PM   #2
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm playing through the game with only one character with a couple of exceptions (that work for me in role-playing terms). I am using no cheats intentionally, but did get around 4000 gold by mistake once in the Inn and quite a few extra hitpoints (50?) when stupid forest rangers cast Toughen and it affected me -- permanently (because I went back to town before it expired without realizing it). I am now in the third town.

1. As a single character, you need to keep changing classes, so I stowed my unused gear with characters in the Inn.
2. I entered the Stout Mines while I was in Warlock mode, and thus I could not equip the pickaxe needed to get a special item. So I brought along a fighter to mine for me. If you don't want help there, make sure you are in a role that allows the character to equip a pickaxe as a weapon (although you don't need to fight with it).

I had a lot of trouble with money for a while, but now there's no problem at all. Get Call of Home and Create Portal/Teleport as soon as possible so you can make frequent trips back to town to sell of unused/looted equipment.

As far as the no-town game goes, not sure why or how you would do that. Most of the fun is the side quests you get at the shops.
Old 10-24-2000, 07:55 PM   #3
Neuadan

A Monk can do it all

I just beat the game and my monk is level 45
(make sure you get the chest opening vine spells before changing to a monk)
(but you almost have to do that to finish the first crypt)