Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #201
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Default Re: what are you playing right this very minute?

mmmm...Team Fortress 2...apparently, I really get where to put sentries, and how to prioritize repairs in a way that none of my teammates have yet...Engineer class is so awesome.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #202
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilander View Post
mmmm...Team Fortress 2...apparently, I really get where to put sentries, and how to prioritize repairs in a way that none of my teammates have yet...Engineer class is so awesome.
Feel like sharing? I've yet to get the 10-sentry-kills achievement!

Playing San Andreas at the moment (PC Version). It's pretty good, actually. I was under the impression that the GTA series went downhill after the original, so I'm impressed.
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 PM   #203
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, here's the thing...the main nemesis of the engineer is the spy. Granted, 2 uber heavies will kill the following strategies, but really, what won't two uber heavies kill???

So, build your tier 3 sentry. You can't do this with less than a tier 3.

Now, hopefully you built near an ammo point, because you aren't going to have the chance to build a dispenser for a while! The idea here is to protect your gun at all costs...remember that, at short range, they will rotate 360 degrees...well, that means that as long as your sentry lives, you live.

Constantly repair your sentry. Even if a spy is sapping it. Keep your metal up (you built near a ammo point, right?), keep smacking it with your wrench. It's that simple.

If a spy tries to sap it, you knock off said sapper. If they try to stab you, 2/3 of the time, the sentry gets them (360 degree rotation at close range!). If they do kill you, the spy gets killed by the sentry.

The best placement is in a limited visibility junction. Pick a point where the enemy has a few different ways to come in, and make sure to cover all of them with your gun placement.

Dustbowl is my map of choice for that achievement.

I used the above strategy, and eventually was able to build a dispenser right behind me, which constantly healed me and gave me ammo/metal. It died constantly, but I never let spies kill my gun.

Oh, and shouldn't we start "What are you playing right at this very minute Thread 2?"

Last edited by Ilander; 10-31-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #204
Thoran
Galvatron

Now I'm on to Guitar Hero III (360), Ratchett and Clank - Tools of Destruction (PS3), and World in Conflict (PC).

Ratchett and Clank is an outstanding Platform game.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #205
vesselle
Hathor

finally got a new computer with all the bells & whistles, and guess what i'm playing?

planescape: torment

LOL!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #206
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Nice, vesselle. Today I've played mostly demos. I tried out Crysis, which was supposed to bring my computer to its knees...and it didn't, so yay, me. Then, I played Bioshock, which was supposed to bring my computer to its knees...and it didn't, so yay me.

Now, I'm downloading the Hellgate: London demo to probably find out the very same thing again.

I don't think I'll be buying Bioshock, by the way, and probably not Crysis either (at least until it's bargain-bin fodder).

Spore, though...I can't wait for a demo of that game!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #207
vesselle
Hathor

i can't wait for spore, either! and fallout 3.

but yeah, i feel like a queen... i also can run crysis and bioshock on my pc, easy-peasy. :p but, sorry to say, i got bored with 'em pretty quickly.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #208
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

It's understandable...Bioshock had less of a plot than I expected (I went ahead and spoiled myself since I know I'm not going to buy it) and Crysis is...well..a shooter.

Fallout 3 will hopefully be great, especially with Bethesda working on it, but it will require a graphics card upgrade, I'm sure, as Oblivion has yet to be truly conquered by the mainstream graphics cards, and Fallout 3 is on the same (but highly enhanced) engine, IIRC.

That's funny, though, since the Gamebryo engine was overhauled from Morrowind for Oblivion, or at least, that's what they said when it came out, so, at least from a CPU-standpoint, it will be an old trick...just will require lots of polygons and super-high-resolution textures, I guess.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #209
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesselle View Post
finally got a new computer with all the bells & whistles, and guess what i'm playing?

planescape: torment

LOL!
Ah, the greatest game of all time. I would be playing it myself, but somehow managed to lost the second CD. Oh, messy and cluttered tabletop, by you are all things unmade.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #210
vesselle
Hathor

sorry, iron greasel

i somehow managed to have 2 sets of PST all mixed up. my original 4 disk set and my bf's 2 disk set. and it took me forever to figure out that was my problem... it had nothing to do with my computer.

*score*
however, i DID get a sweet new computer out of the deal. :p

V***V