Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 09:35 AM   #1
Moni

Hmmm, well since this game looks a lot like W&W in some aspects, I was wondering if you all might take a look and give me some input as to how popular you think it might be and if you will be playing it.
This may be a way to pass time while we wait on Wiz 8, or even a sequel to W&W.
Scheduled for release in Oct.

ARX
(Click on the above link and then "Games")

Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-14-2001).]
Old 07-14-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
Ladybug
Dungeon Master

I've had that site bookmarked for several weeks now. It looks appealing to me because it is a first person CRPG. I'll probably buy it.
The new game that I really want is Morrowind. It's due out around Christmas or the beginning of next year. I'm upgrading my computer to get ready for that one.
It could be a good Christmas for CRPG lovers!

Ladybug
Ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 12:53 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Didn't get a chance to check the site out thoroughly but did have some concerns about their "new magic system" where players have to use their mouse to draw runes in the air to cast magic. hmmmmm that sounds like a potential problem interface to me. Will have to check out the rest of the site later.

Wyv

Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 01:05 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Wyvern, I agree...that's both an interestng possibility and a potential "problem area"...and it's a recent "fad" in gaming about making the interface reality-based. The game "Black and White", as I understand, has used a similar interface where if you want to "reward" your avatar for a good deed, you "rub" his tummy with the mouse, and if you want to "punish" him, you slap him across the face or knock his feet out from under him. Only problem is, no where in the gaming instructions does it detail how this particular interface works...and it's causing a LOAD of frustration for games, with the effect that about 1/2 of them love the game and 1/2 of them abominate it.

I guess time will tell if this reality-based interface is just a passing "fad" or something that will catch on. Until it does, gaming companies should offer an alternative interface for those of us who aren't weaned on Gameboy and Playstation.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 01:45 PM   #5
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:
Didn't get a chance to check the site out thoroughly but did have some concerns about their "new magic system" where players have to use their mouse to draw runes in the air to cast magic. hmmmmm that sounds like a potential problem interface to me. Will have to check out the rest of the site later.

Wyv

Yeah I have read a couple of complaints about that from people where I originally found the link.
I think if it is easy enough though it could be cool.
Could it be any harder than learning how to use your sword in Wizardry: Nemesis?
I got killed so many times before I got the hang of that LOL.

Moni

Old 07-15-2001, 02:08 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Anyone played "Creatures" - there was a lot of using the mouse in that "game" to reward or punish your creatures - was very frustrating as it was too easy to make a mistake.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:07 PM   #7
Moni

Well seeing how this game isn't "Creatures" or "Black & White" I don't think everyone should jump to conclusions as to how hard the interface might be.
It seems to be getting not so bad reviews from the articles I have been able to actually find on it.
If you want to read the article below, you can see that the magic system is similar to The Ultima Magic system.

ARX Fatalis Hands On Preview

And in comparison, review-wise did Wizards & Warriors actually live up to what was expected of it or get the positive coverage it deserved?

Moni
Old 07-15-2001, 03:13 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Yeah I have read a couple of complaints about that from people where I originally found the link.
I think if it is easy enough though it could be cool.
Could it be any harder than learning how to use your sword in Wizardry: Nemesis?
I got killed so many times before I got the hang of that LOL.

Moni

Moni: that's part of the trouble. Wizardry Nemesis suffered so much from the poor interface that it was routinely panned by most of the gaming community, and is probably 90% of the reason for Sir-Tech's "fall" from grace.

That's why these "new reality interfaces" do not bode well...

-Sazerac

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 04:36 PM   #9
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Moni: that's part of the trouble. Wizardry Nemesis suffered so much from the poor interface that it was routinely panned by most of the gaming community, and is probably 90% of the reason for Sir-Tech's "fall" from grace.

That's why these "new reality interfaces" do not bode well...

-Sazerac

But it wasn't impossible to learn and once one got accustomed to it, playing the game was cake.
What I and a lot of others were disappointed about most in Nemesis was the fact that they had a 5 CD game that promised more than it delivered. One "whole" CD for one "whole" area, it really left a lot to be desired in game play more so than it was a let down to use a different interface than we were accustomed to.

Moni