Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2001, 10:22 AM   #1
Xyanthon Singultus
Welcomed New User

Hello all. I just bought this wonderful game by accident and also stumbled across this message board quite by accident. I must say that I am thouroughly impressed by both. I have read some of the topics here involving applying the patch to the game. Like so many other games out there, when a patch is released it corrects several problems but also tends to remove some of the more, well, endearing features. I haven't experienced any bugs or glitches yet. However, I really haven't gotten very far into the game (still mostly exploring the sights around the starting town). So, is it worthwhile to try and play unpatched or are there bugs that must be addressed by the patch that will save me further headaches later? Well, thanks for any advice and insight you can offer.
Xyanthon Singultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 10:35 AM   #2
realbinky
Elminster

I am just now in the end game location and I have not yet used the patch. There is one item about 1/2 way through the game that will need the patch to be usable (there is a one-of-a-kind ring that crashes the game if you equip it in a un-patched game). I never got that item, and otherwise have been fine. Make sure to read around this board for numerous tips that will make your game less frustrating from the beginning.
realbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:35 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Xyanthon!!!!

I've run this game without the patch and have had no problems. If you aren't experiencing problems - don't patch! (if it isn't broke, don't fix it)
If you start running into regular problems as you get further into the game, then consider the patch but check with us first. Sometimes the minor problems also have minor fixes that still don't require that you install the patch!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 12:06 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

What you gain from the patch:

[*]It fixes the "Crazy Dance" bug when you go to pick up an item[*]It fixes the "Inn" bug to where items stored on characters in the Inn won't randomly disappear[*]It fixes crashing when using thrown items such as knives, throwing axes, miners bombs, etc.[*]It fixes the Vampire Ring bug to where you can now equip the Vampire Ring without crashing to the desktop[*]It allows you to adjust the lighting in the dungeons when in D3D mode. This feature will NOT work in software mode.[*]The Colanth's Eye will no longer disappear if you leave the area in the Dragonspire quest.[*]The Scabban quest now correctly identifies you having completed the quest if you meet Scabban outside of his "lab"[*]You are required to physically visit the Toad Village quest (i.e., ENTER Toad Village) to receive credit for the Warrior's Guild quest.[*]Allegedly, it was supposed to fix the "toad stuck in tunnel" phenomenon. Many people running the patch still claim this exists, though.[*]Kerah's Elevator in the Shrine of Anephas no longer is disabled once you leave the area, so you can visit the hidden shrine multiple times.[*]The teleport bug in the Pyramid of Cet is fixed (allegedly) so you can re-enter and exit the pyramid after the Endgame.[*]The Spirit Shield trait now works appropriately.[/list]
    What the patch REMOVES from the game (what you lose):

[*]The ability to use the "Infinite Gold Bug" feature of the Inn (to get large amounts of gold at the beginning of the game)[*]The ability to use the "Toughen" cheat outside of a city gate to permanently increase a character's HP[*]The ability to get multiple credits for a quest by clicking on and off a character's portrait rapidly while the questgiver is acknowledging the quest[*]The ability to get credit for, and still keep, very useful quest items in the game by trading them to another character while the questgiver was still talking. Examples here are: ARDIBREN'S KEEPSAKE, ASSASSIN'S DAGGER, MONK'S WARD, NO-DACHI OF THE STONE, BAND OF BOARS, STONE OF CLOVER[*]As above, the ability to get multiple assassins or zenmasters by trading the requisite quest object (ASSASSIN'S DAGGER or TOMES OF CREATION) to another character while being offered the new role.[/list]
      So, based on this, it's up to you whether or not you wish to patch the program.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 12:11 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Saz - have you put this into the BEST TIPS thread??

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 12:20 PM   #6
Xyanthon Singultus
Welcomed New User

Hey great, thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll leave it unpatched for the time being. I guess if things get real screwy later I can go back and fix them. So far the game is really fantastic. I've played several CRPG's (my first was Wizardry 1 on an apple IIe) and this one seems to have all the right elements and I guess I can live with a few hiccups. Thanks again!
Xyanthon Singultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 04:20 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just did so, Wyvern...hehe, I was waiting on confirmation to see if it was needed. Thanks!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 02:39 AM   #8
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

One more thing about the patch. If you're playing the game unpatched and then the game crashes on you at one point of another, you can back-up all the unpatch files that are included in the patch, install the patch, load the game, get past the problem area, exit the game, and reinstall the unpatched files that you backed up.

That way, you still have the unpatched advantages but got past the problem areas.

BTW: I always played patch (well, since the patch came out anyway )
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote