Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2003, 08:06 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I was just wondering, what are the rarest magic cards that people here know of?
I know that levithian(sp?) is fairly rare and I have been told that the rarest card is a dragon but I cant remember the name, But I just want to know about many not just one.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2003, 08:12 AM   #2
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Started M:TG back in 96' and quit in 98' so forgive me if my knowledge is somewhat antiquated.

*Sits on rocking chair and smokes pipe* Back in my time the rarest card around was a Black Lotus and the Moxes (Mox Ruby, Sapphire etc). Leviathan wasn't that rare back then, I remember seeing a few of my friends own it. The Dragon you are talking about may be the Shivan Dragon a valuable (though not rare) card back then.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

i remember that the dragon had a much longer name than that.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Well, haven't played any M:TG in 8 years, but I have to second Rimjaw on this; the Black Lotus and the Moxes used to be both the rarest and the most wanted cards in those days. Of course, I don't know what happened in the last 8 years... For all I know, they've been re-issued several times already.
As for the Leviathan, I beg to differ if it's really all that rare, as even I had one of those in the old days (still have even, as I never threw any of them away); though perhaps it was re-issued in an ultra-rare format later on.
Oh well... I suppose I've gotten too old for this stuff...
Old 04-23-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
Masklinn

Aaah good old Magic cards [img]smile.gif[/img]

Exactly like you Rimjaw I started in 96 and ended in 98. I bet we have been bothered by the same things (too much crap expansions maybe).

Back then the most valuable cards were indeed the Black Lotus and the Moxes. I remember they were being sold for around 300 $ ! They were valuable for sure, because of their power (free mana eh !) but not THAT rare for those who began collecting early (93/94 ?). I went to the M:TG Pro Tour in Paris (yeah I was THAT much addicted) and the drawer of the Black Lotus (Rush or something similar) was there to sign cards. I saw A LOT of Black Lotus being signed, it was unbelievable.

I own myself a Leviathan and a few Shivan Dragons. They are also valuable but back then they weren't that rare. They became rare with time I bet, since they haven't been re-edited.

[ 04-23-2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Masklinn ]
Old 04-23-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
Masklinn

Here it is :

Old 04-23-2003, 08:37 AM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

Never played just the computer game... got kind of addicted to it... [img]smile.gif[/img]

but here is something on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=19113

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2&category=218
INSANE PRICE!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=19113
2x Black Lotus (one is from Beta one is from Unlimited)
2x Timetwister
3x Mox Emerald
Mox Diamond
Mox Ruby
Juzam Djinn
Time Walk
Old 04-23-2003, 08:45 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

I don't play Magic (I play Warlord - Saga of the Storm) but on Saturday I saw a Black Lotus on sale at the Gaming store I buy my Warlord cards at... it was around $300.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:18 AM   #9
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Back then the most valuable cards were indeed the Black Lotus and the Moxes. I remember they were being sold for around 300 $ ! They were valuable for sure, because of their power (free mana eh !) but not THAT rare for those who began collecting early (93/94 ?).
Mind you, not that many cards have actually become more valuable over the years... Out of curiosity, I'd picked up a priceguide a few years back to see if my old collection was actually worth something; unfortunately, most of the prices were actually lower than they were when I still collected (!). Yotz.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:31 AM   #10
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Aaah good old Magic cards [img]smile.gif[/img]

Exactly like you Rimjaw I started in 96 and ended in 98. I bet we have been bothered by the same things (too much crap expansions maybe).

Back then the most valuable cards were indeed the Black Lotus and the Moxes. I remember they were being sold for around 300 $ ! They were valuable for sure, because of their power (free mana eh !) but not THAT rare for those who began collecting early (93/94 ?). I went to the M:TG Pro Tour in Paris (yeah I was THAT much addicted) and the drawer of the Black Lotus (Rush or something similar) was there to sign cards. I saw A LOT of Black Lotus being signed, it was unbelievable.
Yup, not to mention some decisions by WotC that ruined the fun somewhat, like the restricting of certain cards that weren't really overpowered to 1 per deck (e.g strip mine). And yes, the crappy expansions.