Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 01:54 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Since we have a lot of new members here, it may be a good idea to consider some of the basic rules of "Netiquette": the act of posting courteously. Even for us veteran posters, this bears notice.

1) Remember that above and beyond all things, this is a public forum. Your words are here for anyone who is a member OR visitor here to read. Please bear this in mind when making posts to the forum.

2) Remember that this is an international forum. We have valued members here from all over the world, not just the United States, even though Ironworks is hosted in the US. Consequently, not everyone's native language is English. Please refrain from making comments about people's grammar and spelling. Even if their native language is English, they may have problems typing or may have dyslexia. Grant them the courtesy you would wish to have. After all, we all make typos!

Conversely, do edit your posts. No one wants to straggle through a bunch of badly spelled words and improper grammar. If you know you have a problem with this, use a word processor to compose your posts, spell and grammar check them there, then copy and paste them into IW.

3) Along those same lines, also grant posters the "benefit of the doubt" when posting. There are vast cultural differences here; people with different senses of humor and points of view. Try not to automatically assume that someone is being insulting. It could be humor on their part. On the other hand, for humor, use the smilies. Annoying as they are, they help convey additional clarity and meaning in the posts.

4) Remember first and foremost that the other members here at IW are HUMAN BEINGS with feelings and sensitivities. We are not amorphous, faceless "blobs" in cyberspace or characters (bits and bytes) in an online game. Give everyone here the respect you would like to be shown. Have fun, but be courteous!

Simply stated, behave on-line as you would in person. Watch what you type and how you word potentially volatile statements. Assume that what you say will be taken in the worst possible way, and that if someone is upset enough by it, it will come back to haunt you.

5) Finally, be forgiving. Just as you are trying to balance your valuable time with a desire to get your point across as respectably as possible, so are others doing the same. Sometimes it's all-too-tempting to tear someone apart for an obvious grammatical error, misspelling, or blatant display of stupidity. What we must keep in mind, though, is that what we are reading is only one small piece of the person on the other end, who is typing away just like we are. Perhaps s/he was uninformed--or in a hurry--or simply made a mistake. Regardless, each person is deserving of more than one chance before judgment is passed. If someone initially strikes you as inept, allow him/her another opportunity to confirm your judgment. And if you can't suppress a response, a kind word or two of advice in a helpful tone will leave a much better impression than a verbal barrage will. Always give the benefit of the doubt, and be kind with criticism.

Cheers, and happy postings!

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 05:01 PM   #2
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Well said, Saz. I agree completely....and if I've ever violated any of those rules, let me apologize to anyone I may have offended!

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
All bow and cower before the Triumvirate!!!
Old 08-30-2001, 05:03 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Very good post mate. Deserving of the title moderator you certainly are. Kudos brother.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-30-2001, 05:45 PM   #4
Ziroc

Thanks Sazerac, all excellent points!

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 08-30-2001).]

Old 08-30-2001, 05:51 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Good post Sazerac! You make an excellent moderator, and are just a darn nice guy, I'm glad to know ya!

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 06:20 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Bless all of you! Just FYI, this thread was not directed at anyone or any particular thread. I've noticed several new people on board, and just to allay any misunderstandings that could arise, I wanted to post this.

Zeeke, you're fine, like everyone else is here. And I'm danged glad to see you here again!

LadyZekke, I'm glad to know you, too, and to be able to call you friend!

Cheers all,

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 07:22 PM   #7
Rikard

2 reasons for this post
first is the bumping purpose

also another thing that i think should be add

When someone says he's serious about something, do not make fun of that
even if the subject might appear to be a "fun-subject" at start this line should tell you it isn't
Respect he says in this case and be sensitive to his feelings

------------------

OMG I have no Arms
Wait I don't have a body either

Old 08-30-2001, 08:50 PM   #8
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Saz, you make a great Nanny(check Neb's post if you dont know what I'm talkin about)

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 08-30-2001, 08:58 PM   #9
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

A must-read. Good work, Saz! The most vile insult I ever was confronted with at the IW was "cheeky bugger". I think that´s quite within the limit

------------------
Calvin the bold the malt beer lord is in!
Old 08-30-2001, 09:02 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Saz, you make a great Nanny(check Neb's post if you dont know what I'm talkin about)

I know *cringe* I saw myself on a couple of those! I think a lot of us may see some of us in those descriptions...that's why they were so funny!

------------------