Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-07-2004, 01:53 PM   #11
Ironbar
Manshoon

Personally, I don’t like the thought of it so anything I say is likely to be biased. If not done for a religious reason, then it does seem questionable. I think it could only be classed as medical abuse if it was non-essential surgery that would either cause unnecessary pain now or in the future (1) or put the child’s life at risk either now or in the future (2). From my limited understanding, neither of these applies to young boys if done whilst in the first year or so of the child’s life. However, this is where it is very different for girls. From my understanding, it appears that at least one, if not both of the items (1&2) above may apply to girls. If so then that should be classed as abuse.

Are we assuming that by avoiding religion and possibly health, that circumcision is an example of sexualising the nonsexual? That would be classed as abuse in my book. (If not then I apologise and would welcome this post to be edit or deleted promptly)

Long live the Shar-Pei!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #12
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Circumcision, if performed in a hygenic environment by someone who knows what they are doing is not dangerous. It is however an irreversable and unnessecary surgical procedure, performed on someone to young to decide whether or not they want it.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Is the docking of puppy dog tails an Abuse of animals?

No, if you do it after a few days they hardly feel it. Same with children, the longer you wait the more painful it will become. Circumsism does not produce serial killers, or insane people.

[ 06-07-2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 06-07-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Grown men can be circumcised with no ill effect. Further more, they can make a conscious decision as to the roundhead/cavalier issue.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:13 PM   #15
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Is the docking of puppy dog tails an Abuse of animals?

No, if you do it after a few days they hardly feel it. Same with children, the longer you wait the more painful it will become. Circumsism does not produce serial killers, or insane people.
The foreskin contains nerves. It can be argued that circumcision reduces sexual pleasure later in life. Dog tails do not provide the same effect... as far as I know, at least.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Can't say as I'm personally a fan of docking a dog's tail. Not sure if they use them the same way but a cat's tail is very much used for keeping their balance.

Well, this is an interesting thread so far. Please keep it civil and it can be a very good discussion of different points of view.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #17
quietman1920

I almost posted an opinion on this. Almost. Instead, I'm going to raise the red flag. This board is an on-line gaming community board and a family place. While this may well be a health issue worthy of debate, I would question whether this is the proper forum for it. Even if Ironworks is such a forum, 'General Conversation' is certainly no place for it to rear its ugly head (no pun intended).

Ziroc, might this thread be moved to 'current events'?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quietman, I appreciate your concerns and that's why I've asked that it be kept 'civil' and the religious sides of the topic be kept to private discourse.

If it remains civil and 'PG13' , this can be a 'general' topic unless Wellard feels it should have been in the Current Events for some reason.

edit: Quietman, I'll check with Z on this, just to be sure. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-07-2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #19
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
my husband told me it is stil a cevenant with god, but i found a place in the nt where is says it is not necessary anymore. so as far as religion goes, on the christian side of it all religion is kinda null and void.
You see, relegious wise I don't understand it. It is a pact with God to have part of the penis removed?

I would say it is abuse because the children have no say in it and they can't do anything about it. I don't care what doctors say, it is an absolutely useless operation in my point of view, because I don't believe just because you don't get foreskin removed you'll have a higher chance of skin infection and such. I think those are just excuses for relegion to come into play so more people are circumcised.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Reminder, folks, keep the religious portion of any discussion on this topic to pm and emails, please!