Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2001, 08:44 PM   #1
zak88lx
Welcomed New User

I just went into the tomb of Kazoh and took the idol from coffin.
Now when I leave the cave I get attacked by a Doom Slayer that seems to kick my butt every time.
My question is:
Can this thing be killed?
and
When running past Doom Slayer I was ambushed by approximately 12 Wolf and 8 War Dogs! Is this caused by the idol?
and
When trying to sell idol, it only fetched 50GP, what should I do with idol?

Thanks,
Zak
If I escape to town with Idol it only fetches 50 gold!
What should I do with idol?
zak88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 09:30 PM   #2
Tananda
Elminster

Trying to help, but not sure in my memory.
As far as I remember, if you take the Idol, Doom Slayer will visit you. Wolfs and others happened to be at the same place by accident, I suppose. And - yes, you can kill Doom Slayer - but it won't be easy.
The Idol wasn't of any use at all (for me). I think, we shouldn't take this Idol from the coffin - it is a little bit unpolite towards spirits of the dead.

And welcome to the board!
------------------
Sincerely Yours,
Tanda

[This message has been edited by Tananda (edited 05-27-2001).]
Tananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 09:51 PM   #3
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

That is a hard fight, but the Doomsayer CAN be killed. There is only one use for the idol, and you may not want to do it.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

This information is taken from the great Baldurdash site...

copied and pasted :

The second concerns another completely useless item from Baldur's Gate 1 that comes to mind as being not only worthless but almost impossible to find if one doesn't know it exists: the longsword called Vampire's Revenge. Though it sounds as though it is a powerful weapon, in fact it is cursed and wielding it causes the user to become Feebleminded. It also harms the wielder and heals its target on every strike, having earned its name by being forged by vampires to destroy adventurers. It is only obtainable from the ghost of Ulcaster, the mage founder of the Ulcaster school of magic east of Beregost, if the party happens to have the two following items in their possession:

The idol of the lost stormlord god Kozah, who sounds like a predecessor to Talos, obtained from the quest of Charleston Nib and the tomb-diggers on the map east of Nashkel that mad Captain Bragh of the Amnish guard can be found. A difficult (for BG1 characters) opponent called a Doomsayer (rather like a blurry Battle Horror) must be defeated for the idol.

A suit of rusted armour, obtained from a Skeletal Knight in the dungeons that connect Firewine Bridge with the halfling village of Gullykin. This is the item that makes this sword nearly impossible to find without prior knowledge as it is unlikely for the party to have this in their possession: right after obtaining it, the quest is to be completed by giving the armour to a group of Ghost Knights; the skeleton was their traitorious fellow, who is reunited with them and amends made in death, and they depart with the armour.

*end copy-and-paste*
the site is at
http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/
check out the section about the Pantaloons... I'm going to replay the whole series after TOB comes out, just to check this stuff out...

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 01:02 PM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

I have found that the very best tactic to kill the Doom Guard (and Battle Horrors as well) is to immediately cast entangle on them. It would be most effective if you have two party members who can cast it (for example if your own PC and Jaheiara cast entangle). If he saves vs. spells, try again quickly, and if he's already too close, reload and try again. Now, as soon as you have him entangled, he can't reach you with that big nasty fiery sword of his
So what you do is equip all your characters with missile weapons and shoot away. Arrows of ice worked well, if I remember correctly. Also have every mage cast as many magic missiles as possible, these will affact the Doom Guard as well (also use Wands of MM).
Hope this helps. With this tactic I have found that you can kill him even if you aren't very advanced in level.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 10:22 AM   #5
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I found that the easiest way of defeating Doomsayer is to cast dispel magic, which removes his Blurr thus giving him +3 AC penalty, after that just whack him - piece of cake.
dimon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 11:55 AM   #6
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Arrows of Dispelling work too

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 12:58 PM   #7
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I used Melusine's tactic the other night. It worked well, except I hacked him up with my tanks. I didn't have any missiles with which to damage him and reguler arrows and bullet didn't seem to have much effect. I still had to resurrect two of my character though. I also didn't have any dispell magic spells either. It can be done.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Sir Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 12:59 PM   #8
Sigmar
Unicorn

Once you are out of the cave just move towards the doom slayer
and drop the idol. He will ignore you and run into the cave, then
just pick up the idol.

------------------
Tiax will rule all!
Who prodded Tiax?!
Prepare to feel the mighty magical powers
of Tiax... stop laughing!
(The "wise" words of Tiax.)
Sigmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 05:10 AM   #9
Kormar the Wanderer
Manshoon

Possibly the best way to beat him. If you are high enough in level send a couple of webs in the area where he will appear, giving yourself enough room to move forward and reveal him (3 webs usually does it, since he has to pass three checks to move at all) then draw him in, let him get stuck, use dispel magic to get rid of his weapon and blur effect and pound on him with magic missiles and ranged attacks.
Kormar the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 02:49 AM   #10
lorac3
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is how I did it

S

P

O

I

L

E

R
When you start fighting him use:
Arrow of Ice
Wand of Magic Missile
Arrow of Biting
wand of Chromatic Orb
entangle him then change everyone to missile weapons
then get your mage to start lobbing MMs at him then use
your bows to and ice arrows until the spell ends when he can move
start hurling C orbs at him (there more effective when there is no spells on there there target) then arrows of biting finish
EASY AS PORK PIE

[This message has been edited by lorac3 (edited 06-04-2001).]
lorac3 is offline   Reply With Quote