Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-28-2001, 10:07 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

Let's say you do the SK thing and put 5 stars in Longsword, then stars in the styles with maybe 1 star in other weapons for gameplay purposes.

Quick question: how in the heck do you kill enemies like Kangaxx that require +4 or better weapons to hit, when pretty much EVERY longsword in the game (except ToB) is +3 or less?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2001, 05:27 AM   #2
Whailor

You don't

Basically all people get "tough" now fast, by the looks it seems more like the Kangaxx was meant to be killed after, say, Underdark, when you are higher lvl and can buy some better gear from Mart, as well as Cromwell can build some better items for you.

But as far as 1-hand swords go, in SoA there doesn't seem to be any which is good enough for Kangaxx or his ilk.. As dual wielding sword using char, I really have no "tools" to smack him. I am about to get the Grom Faeyr, Jaheira has +5 sling, maybe some staff I had as well, that's all.. Have Carsomyr but no paladin heh, no biggie tho.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:49 AM   #3
Jan

WOW. Slow down pal.

A little spoil.

In SoA you can find the crom +5, a short sword +4 (A great weapon), 2 handed swords +4, staff +4 and +5, a sling +5 (you just need the bonus cd). Halbreads +4. Bows +4. More than enough weapons to kill him.

Old 11-29-2001, 06:00 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Mace of Disruption is the best weapon against Kangaxx. If you are willing to use non-Longswords of course.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:18 AM   #5
Jan

D'oh. Forgot that one. If you have a good tactic then he isn't that hard to kill.

Old 11-29-2001, 09:04 AM   #6
Kaleban
Manshoon

No guys, you miseed the point

I meant, sticking to a roleplay style, a Bladesinger would not touch anything but his chosen weapon type. Now keeping character knowledge separate from player knowledge, there is no way a young elf, captured by some insane mage, would know that, two weeks down the road he'd be facing off against a Demilich.

All this elf knows is that he needs to escape and find out what's going on, but wants to be ready for anything. Now his trusty swords have never failed him before (BG1 rarely had something you couldn't hit with the Varscona, were there any...?) so why now? Does the warmer climate affect a baddies' immunity to weapon types?

Oh, and I find it hard to believe that Golems would be hurt by Blunt weapons only. You hit a clay golem with a stick, it probably won't hurt, but if you slice up the clay that makes it, you're bound to do some damage. Iron and Adamantite Golems would seem to be indestructible, and should be unable to be killed by sling bullets...

Anyways, I guess I get to quit roleplaying at least for a couple of battles, I think I'll put 1 point in Mace and 1 point in Flail/Warhammer for the Flail of Ages/Crom Faeyr.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:14 AM   #7
Jan

Sorry I missed you point. Hmm. Can't help on that one.

Old 11-29-2001, 09:19 AM   #8
Ares

Some longswords have extra abilities againt Undead, mean people, and constructs. I think Flame Tounge +1 turns into +4-maybe +5 against undead. The mace of Disruption +2 can hit any undead (and virtually destroy it [img]smile.gif[/img] ) But in terms of roleplaying, your pretty much screwed if you have played the game before, looked at any spoilers, and looked at any tips to defeat big enemies...so pretty much you already know what happens if you click that button...
Old 11-29-2001, 10:39 AM   #9
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

The best two longswords to dual wield against Kangaxx, imho, are flame tongue and daystar. Both +4 against undead, iirc.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:06 AM   #10
Kaleban
Manshoon

Most people that post on this board report that Daystar does not affect Kangaxx, but erroneous reports of things like the +1/+4 against Giants Warhammer will...?!

Apparently there was some variance in weapon design, where a weapon like Daystar is +2 to determine what it can hit, but with a +4 if its against an Undead type (as long as that Undead can be hit by +2 weapons or less though!).

Strange...