Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 01:08 AM   #1
jellydonut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey thanks everybody who had advice on the fighting strategies...The more I read the Instruction Manual of Icewind Dale the more I realize I don't know what I'm doing. Like how to teach my mage spells, and what saving throws are...etc... In anybody's opinion, would baulder's gate be a better starting point for somebody who's not familiar with dungeon's and dragons rules??? Or is there anything I can read, to become familiar with how to play this game???
jellydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 03:25 AM   #2
Synthius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You have made the right selection in starting out with Icewind Dale, in my opinion. Baldur's Gate (I and II) is also excellent, but ID keeps you focused on the main quest--which I think makes it easier for beginners to avoid getting lost and wondering what to do next.

Having said that, I want you to realize that there *is* a learning curve to getting comfortable with the game controls. Don't let that scare you away, however. After you get a few hour of game play under your belt, you will doubtless become hopelessly addicted just like the rest of us poor souls here. Be sure to read the many messages posted on this board for helpful tactics. You might want to steer clear of topics that are labelled "spoiler," as these might give away surprises and plot information that will detract from your enjoyment of the game. (It's okay to be spoiled if you really need the help--but some people are really persistent and like to figure everything out for themselves).

Remember that the spacebar is your best friend in this game. At any time, if you are lost, losing a battle, or just want to take a break, hit the spacebar and the game will pause for your convenience. Until you get the hang of fighting battles, you will want to pause a *lot*.

I think that if you play around with the game for a little while you will fall in love with it. I had tried playing several computer role-playing games, going all the way back to the late 1980's, but I had never had the patience to play one all the way to the finish. That changed with Baldur's Gate--I was so hooked on that game that I couldn't stop playing until I had won. Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter are the same--just totally addicting. I'm part-way into Baldur's Gate II right now, and it is *huge* and also addicting.

And don't forget that you can find lots of friends here if you need help along the way. Good luck!
Synthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 07:20 PM   #3
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

you might also want to check out a used book store and see if you can find a Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook 2nd edition (or third.. bit it's closer to 2nd).. that'll help with little things like thaco progression and proficiencies.. but i think the bulk of the maerial is in the manual. if you lost the manual, there is a copy of it on the IWD disk along with the adobe acrobat reader with wich to view it.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 07:48 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

IceWind Dale is a great start Jelly. Like Synthius said, take a few hours to get used to it. I was addicted from the minute it loaded. Also to add something missile weapons can be your best friends at lower levels.
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 01:26 AM   #5
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I felt that IWD/HOW is more hack and slash and less story focus, so you can focus mainly on playing and practicing. The beginning levels offers you some good "targets" for spells practicing. Learn to love spells like magic missiles, force missiles, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Death Fog, Flaming arrows ... etc. DOn't forget the turn undead abilities by paladins and clerics.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 11:57 PM   #6
Jedi 197
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by jellydonut:
Hey thanks everybody who had advice on the fighting strategies...The more I read the Instruction Manual of Icewind Dale the more I realize I don't know what I'm doing. Like how to teach my mage spells, and what saving throws are...etc... In anybody's opinion, would baulder's gate be a better starting point for somebody who's not familiar with dungeon's and dragons rules??? Or is there anything I can read, to become familiar with how to play this game???
It takes awhile to get used to playing Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate, my first game of an RPG nature was Baldur's Gate 2, after initial frustration of not knowing what to do or where to go, I lowered the difficulty until I feltt comfortable in what was going on, then I raised it back up to a higher level, after awhile spells and combat become second nature. BG2 is also non-linear so it may be harder than IWD. Just stick with it, IWD is probably one of the better games on the market right now, and if you find you like the game and can really get into it, I suggest picking up BG2. Good luck.
Jedi 197 is offline   Reply With Quote