Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-27-2001, 08:17 AM   #41
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Oh, and discussing equipment is relevant, because come on... it's how the NPCs become powerful.

And you for that matter.

Well, I objected against the mentioning of using good equipment as a reason to call Aerie a much better character than others, but if you only use it to counter the "Aerie sucks"-attacks, it's valid in my opinion. She doesn't suck more than some of the other characters...
Old 09-27-2001, 08:21 AM   #42
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I have never said Aerie was the best NPC, in terms of power; but to call her 'sucky', 'weak', 'lousy', etc... ... is just plain wrong in my opinion. With careful planning, she can contribute to the party a lot. Heh, heh... heck... she killed Dragons for me... ...

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-27-2001, 08:34 AM   #43
Tuor
Elminster

I still maintain you are better off with a single class cleric and a single class mage than you are with Aerie. Even compared with a 'normal' dual class cleric/mage her hitpoints are bad. You can't tank her because of her bad strength, thaco, weapon specialities etc etc etc, and it takes ages before she actually casts high level spells in either classes.

You are actually better off both hit point and advancement wise to dual class a cleric into a mage once you can cast 7th level spells. You'd get better hit points, advance faster and of course not have ANY of the whining about those *&%$"£$ wings of hers (or lack of them).

Incidently yes Edwins hit points are also rubbish but no-one is taling about using him as a tank are they?

Keep the posts coming guys.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:40 AM   #44
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Why do you people insist on using Aerie as a tank???? She shines when she is casting from the backrow. You want to use her as a tank? Why not use Minsc as a spellcaster then? Hey! You can you know, he can *gasp!* cast Ranger spells.

Man... Aerie was built to be a spellcaster, use her as one.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-27-2001, 08:54 AM   #45
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I guess from the post that those who believe Aerie is a good character have spent time working her into a useful member of the team and worked out the battle stragies to use her skill to the best.
While those who are bothered that she complains too much about her wings (why they don't just end the romace is beyond me) or other things ie when she tired, hurt, lost a spell.... er doesn't everyone complain at these points? Or say they she a bad character haven't worked her into their battle stragies to achive her fullest effect.

------------------

Hodge-podge Sliver Cleric of the ALSB
You don't need pants for the victory dance becuase I am better then Weasels!!
HADDOCK!!!!
Beware the Mod' Squad the bad hair is everywhere.
I knew a girl from a world, across the planner deep, and to her place, to see her face, across the void I creep, through time went by and long I tried, to satisfy my lust no matter where I touched, 'twas not enough to please my Succubs.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:36 AM   #46
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

* you stole my pick *
i dont have it annymore
am gonna cry
* SNIK SNIK *
is it okay if i make i smaller ?

------------------

am proud to be a Platinum Spell Jammer of ALSB

[This message has been edited by waverider (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old 09-27-2001, 11:49 AM   #47
Kitty
Manshoon

I don't hate Aerie, but I'm not a fierce fan of hers either. Without a doubt, the most difficult category to choose the best NPC is the priest category. Look at this:
Mild Spoilers
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
JAHEIRA (Half Elf Fighter/Druid;max level 13/13)
S15 D17 C17 I10 W14 Ch15
Pros: her fighter abilities allow her to wear armor and to have a good THAC0
she can be in front of a battle if needed (she can reach a very good AC)
Cons: slow level progression,cannot have lvl 7 spells
she rolled for low hitpoints in the beginning of the game despite her 17 constitution score (but she can roll better for her levels 8 and 9)

AERIE (Elf Cleric/Mage; max level 14/14)
S10 D17 C9 I16 W16 Ch14
Pros: mage and cleric spells together - no other NPC can do that
can reach level 7 cleric spells (in SoA)
can store a lot of spells in spell sequencers
Cons: cannot cast level 7 and 8 mage spells
low turn undead level
poor physical stats except for dexterity
slow level progression (as for any multiclassed character)

VICONIA (Drow Elf Cleric; max level 21)
S10 D19 C10 I15 W18 Ch12 (not sure on these, feel free to correct me please)
Pros: high magical resistance
no trouble with evil characters
fast level advancement
has the higher number of clerical spells due to WIS 18
Cons: like Aerie, poor physical stats except for dexterity
as a single class character with rather poor stats except for dexterity and wisdom, she has no versatility.
turn undead transforms undead into allies instead of scaring them

ANOMEN (Human Fighter/ Cleric; max level F7/C21)
S18/52 D10 C16 I10 W12(16) Ch13
Pros: loads of HPs
advances in levels as a single-classed cleric
he's the only priest NPC who can have grandmastery in weapons
can use heavy armor and shield since the beginning without needing strenght enhancing items
turn undead can destroy undead outright or at least scare them
Cons: low dexterity
it takes some time (15-20 days or so) to raise his wisdom via a quest
probably the hardest personality to deal with.

As you see, all of the have their pros and cons, which makes difficult the choice for the priest of your party. The only thing I don't agree about Aerie is using her as the only priest or the only mage of a party. And anyone can be powerful with the proper equipment.
I could have listed Cernd here, but I haven't had him long enough to make a comparison with the other priests. I guess he's good at the beginning due to his werewolf shapeshifting ability, but at later levels I imagine this becomes less useful (when your party level is high enough to say: "fighting those werewolves is a piece of cake"). If you have used Cernd long enough, please feel free to spoil me so that I can 'unlock his powers' next time.
OK, this was supposed to be an anti-Aerie topic, but I wrote this long message just to remind everyone that no NPC priest suck at all in BG2. Romance and sex appeal issues aside, of course.

Cheers,
Kitty

[This message has been edited by Kitty (edited 09-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kitty (edited 09-28-2001).]