Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-28-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I thought this might be an interesting thread. Just last night my friends and I were at San Diego's annual Street Scene event. Among their main bands this year (for that day-it's 3 days long) were AFI (whom was our main reason for going), Jimmy Eat World, Ludacris, Black Eyed Peas, The Killers, and tons of smaller bands.

We wer't the only people who had come excusively to see AFI. Practically every teenager in the city was there. The concert takes place right next to our new baseball stadium, and the various stages are in the parking lot. For AFI, the lot was totally full, we were packed in tight. And guess where we were in all these thousands of people? Front and center, about 5 yards from the stage [img]tongue.gif[/img] dangerous spot, but it's AFI!

Naturally when the band walked out, everyone rushed forward *squish* and when they started playing, the whole place was turned into an instant mosh. It was fun until people started falling over because they were tripping over this yellow piece of plastic that was covering some wires running through the center of the crowd. This was all where *we* were in the crowd. People fell over and tried to grab someone to stop them falling, and thus pulled that person down, and since everyone was pushing trying to get closer to the front, people were getting trampled. The three of us were part of the crowd getting trampled, and it was scarey as hell. Girls were screaming, people were clawing eachother in attempts to get back up but couldn't because more than often someone was crushing their legs. It got so bad that the band actually stopped playing and had to tell everyone to settle down and back up. About 10 people had been knocked out cold...I got separated from Em and we were both scared for eachother [img]tongue.gif[/img] (fortunately we both got out alive). This happened 3 more times (i wasn't part of those fortunately). And when they finished, everyone rioted! Tearing down the fences and yanking out those blue handicapped only parking signs, pushing, shoving, screaming...my best friend Chris was with us though, and he protected us through most of it...otherwise I may have just as well been trampled if he hadn't pulled me out of the writing mass of bodies!

Sorry, I know that was a long read, lol, but I want to know if any of you have had scarey or intense moments down in the pit of a concert.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Oh Jen... be more careful next time and take Riot Gear Glad you had fun
Old 08-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
dplax
Jack Burton

Here in Lyon (France) where I go to university every year in may there is a weekend long festival, for which mostly french bands come and one of the days after having drank quite a lot with a friend we went to a reggea/ska concert (music I normally don't even like) and pushed our way to the front. There was the metal fence type thing at the front and we held on to that, but when sometimes the crowd was moving a lot it felt as if our hands were going to get torn out. And then there were also the people whome the crowd was moving above their heads and they got thrown over the fence sometimes, then the security had to take them out from there.

At the time all this was fun, but looking back on it it does sound crazy.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Um, staying away from the frickin' things. Like they were the plague. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

Prodigy, 1997, my friends and I were in the front row and the pressure was so much that the "barrier" in front of the stage collapsed in front of us, we fell down and probably 50 other people behind us... [img]smile.gif[/img] we managed to stand up and security guards managed to put the barrier back up... it was a bit scary but the worst part I thought at that time that we lost our spot in front of the stage... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2004, 01:43 AM   #6
fei fong wong
Welcomed New User

Hmm... as it turns out... I haven't seen much good pit things come out of hurt or happiness... my most intense was split between kittie, American Head Charge, Ill Nino, Chimaria, and other bands... and Hatebreed and Local shit... so yeah... it depends on what you determine as good... i like hard and fast... lol...
Fei Fong Wong