Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
Nydlari
Manshoon

Ug...
I've been playing this game since 2 days after it was released and I had never had it just exit to the desktop like many people have mentioned as a bug before, but today I finaly got around to installing the patch (which says it is supposed to help fix this bug) and all of the sudden I keep crashing to the desktop!!!!!!!!!!!

It's driving me nuts! Help me please. Is there a way to get rid of the patch? Or do you know of ways to get it to stop exiting?

I'm begging for any help, I'm soooo close to taking over a great house but I can't make any progress while it keeps crashing like this.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:08 PM   #2
Ceren
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Same Here! It mainly happens when I try to load a saved game after I've played awhile, but it's not every time. I have had it crash to the desktop on certain quests, and people who try to kill me. I hate it when a person with an axe can just whack me once or twice, and I'm dead, I didn't do anything to him. These powerful strangers I happen upon are when mine crashes most often. My equipment is high end, and in top condition, so It's gotta be a software bug, usually I reboot right after the crash and everythung is O.K. again. But that's not a fix. I'm going to run a windows message tracing program in the background and see if I can come up with something.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:31 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

in that case, how about playing the game without installing the patch?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 01:56 AM   #4
Fortunes of War
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've had a particular difficulty since installing the patch; after playing for a few minutes, I go to look at my map and the map/menu screen is frozen.
If I bring up the main menu, I cannot click on any options. If I talk to an NPC, the dialog box will not go away. The only thing I can still do is kill monsters, but I cannot view the loot on the bodies because that little picture freezes too.
The only way out is to Alt+Tab back to Windows and shut down the game.
Fortunes of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:48 AM   #5
GodSlayer
Dungeon Master

I have had the same problems as Ceren.

The game crashes sometimes when I reload a savegame. But this phenomenon has been there both before and after the patch. But it seems that turning down the sound hardware acceleration helps. It says in the readme file that this should be done for soundcards that are not 100% directX compatible, but I have a soundblaster live card, and it should be 100% comp. to directX, but it still helped me alot to turn the hardsware acc. down (to the minimum).

Since I did this I rarely crash (it still happens) - but now I can reload 20 times without problems.

GodSlayer
GodSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 11:00 AM   #6
Nydlari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
in that case, how about playing the game without installing the patch?
I'd love to, How do I remove the patch?
Old 06-25-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
Nydlari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSlayer:
It says in the readme file that this should be done for soundcards that are not 100% directX compatible, but I have a soundblaster live card, and it should be 100% comp. to directX, but it still helped me alot to turn the hardsware acc. down (to the minimum).

GodSlayer
Ah thanks for the tip, I had seen that in the RM, but ignored it becuase I have a soundblaster live as well and thought it wouldn't matter.

I'll give it a try and see if it helps.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:00 AM   #8
Ceren
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, it seems my input is useless now, you guys got it. I found out that the only cheap piece on my computer is my sound card. The chipset is what seems to reduce my overall performance, I am seeing an increase in performance across the board, not such a bad gfx engine, hell I can run it in 1024X768 with no probs, but I run ran it @ 800X600 and it looks very similar. Nice job to the guys at Bethesda! BTW I am running an AMD Athlon 1800 XP with 512 MB DDR, GeForce 4 Ti 4200 with 128 MB DDR, and a trueflat, multisync, 19 inch monitor, My sound card is the slacker, Creative Labs PCI 128.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:50 AM   #9
Mister Natural
Manshoon

If I were you I'd pop for a new SB audigy x-gamer card. A great card at around $100.00.