Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-17-2000, 02:21 PM   #1
ForlornHope

I have reached a point and am now running into some serious trouble. After becoming the slayer for the first time, when you try to rest you go to a cut scene with story and such, well when I leave that scene and it loads back to the game I either get a hard lock up of my entire system, or the game crashes with no error message. I have tried resting in numerous different locations, and have tried on a couple of different machines, with both regular and full installs and I cant get past this. It is really quite annoying as I can play as long as I dont rest, but that doesnt do me alot of good. Any ideas/solutions out there? Please help and feel free to email me the answer.

Ted
ted@hearme.com

Old 10-17-2000, 02:43 PM   #2
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Have you tried saving the game just after the cut scenes? I've found that will help sometimes. If it get's really bad then you can cut out and close everything down and restart back up (loading save game). If you mean the regular cut scenes of sleeping in the inn or out in the wilderness, you can help by immediately clicking on the screen anywhere to bypass the cut scene. Don't really know where you are in the game or how you mean by it locking up, but this could help you out.
Old 10-17-2000, 02:48 PM   #3
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Not sure if you are on multi-player or not either, but if you are then you can also do this method too (does take awhile though). You can save the game and then export the characters that you want to rest. You can load up another game where it was ok to rest and then import those characters there. When they are rested, export the characters under a diff name. Then you can reload the newer game and import those last exported characters. Do take into account that if you reload the protagonist (first party member listed) that you could lose your gold or reputation. I did this on BGI, but I'm pretty sure it will work with II as well. I did lose reputation when I used the protagonist and that's why I'm saying that now. If he's just a fighter, then rest up a backup cleric and let them heal him. Good luck to you. Also, you may want to try and adjust your config settings to a slightly lower level. This could help you overall where you may not need to do the trick or if you are playing single player. Just remember that you can't export NPC's. So if that's all you have in the party, you could be out of luck.
Old 11-07-2000, 12:40 AM   #4
York

Memnoch, thanks for your suggestions and your spoiler etiquette comment... Being stuck in the game and greatly frustrated, I was entirely focused on accurately describe my plight, and gave no thought whatsoever to the significance of my comments regarding the story line. Apologies.

Regarding your suggestions and applying them to my situation, I really don't think it's a hardware issue in my case. The game has run great up to this point (Full Install on an AMD 600 Athalon system with Guillemot 3D Prophet card, 128 MB RAM, 30 GIG HD). Since I have been unable to rest without lockup just after the Asylum battle, I've pushed on through chapter four and on into chapter five, where I have been able to battle, level-up, save, exit, reload, etc. with no problem... no problem, that is, until I try to rest. At this point all members of my party are starting to whine... you can imagine how annoying it is when as you're going toe-to-toe with Balor, Aerie repetedly yawns and says, "I could really use some rest." Barring experienced and/or expert suggestions, I'm going to try turning off 3D animation and other adjustments like that. If that doesn't work, I'll try... I don't know.

Old 11-07-2000, 11:24 AM   #5
York

Same problem here... After Asylum battle, any attempt to rest initiates the two "Slayer" dream sequences, after which, the rest movie runs, followed by a brief return to the active game screen, at which point the game locks up. Any solutions or suggestions?

Old 11-07-2000, 11:50 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

when you try to rest you go to a cut scene with story and such, well when I leave that scene and it loads back to the game I either get a hard lock up of my entire system, or the game crashes with no error message.

It sounds like one of 2 things:
you have memory/hardware problems and need to adjust your settings; or
bug.

Try reloading an older savegame and replaying that asylum battle, that might fix the problem.

Um...and by the way your post contained a pretty big spoiler about the slayer. It's common courtesy to put the word **SPOILER** in your title if you are revealing a plot twist in the game so that people who haven't reached that part of the game don't accidentally find out something before they're supposed to. Most of the people who have already finished the game will still go into your post and help you. Just a friendly word of advice
Old 11-07-2000, 07:22 PM   #7
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

Geez Tobbin. You actually went through all that in multiplayer? If patience is a virtue, you got it in spades!