Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-23-2003, 08:34 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Just started the game. How do you switch to a third person view? The first person is so dizzying it drives me mental. Also, is there a way to allow the cursor arrows the swing the screen round rather than the mouse?
Old 08-23-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
You press either tab to get 3rd person view. I found it much harder to take than 1st person though! Plus you get to see just how unrealistically large your two-handed sword is - it's offputting!
Old 08-23-2003, 10:07 PM   #3
Oruboris

Yeah, I was attracted to this game because of the 1st person POV: I'd rather be in the movie than watch someone else in the movie, so to speak-- just a little eccentricity of mine.

But third can be fun: if ya need a laugh, equip a claymore or dikatana, press tab, then run while holding down the 'attack' key: your character will hold the sword overhead, with the tip nearly dragging ground. Trust me, its pretty funny...

Oh, and you can hold down tab while moving your mouse to 'walk around' your character, just to get a look at the front [a veiw you'll never see if you just press tab]...

And as far as I know, there is no way to sift the view except mouse. Also, no lean or crawl commands. If you hit 'escape' in game, you can go to 'options' and customize the controls. I set up mine like Thief, so I use the mouse and number pad for every thing except rest, save and load.

Oru

[ 08-23-2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

if your chaarcter uses markmanship or magic spells, it's better to be in First Person View.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Cool. Thanks!

I'm having problems casting spells, is there a level system or magick system I should be aware of? Also, what is the easiest way to use a skill or spell..when I try one in combat I'm told I can't read right now, lol. Isn't there a toolbar like in Neverwinter Nights?
Old 08-24-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
What sort of problems are you having SW? The magic system (in fact all systems) are quite a bit different to NWN-type games, and it does take some getting used to. There is no level restrictions on what spells you can cast; you are constrained only by what spells you have (either ones you've bought from merchants that you know, on scrolls, or in items), how much magicka you have, and how skillful you are at casting a spell in its particular area (eg conjuration, mysticism etc). For example, if you want to cast a healing spell, it is a restoration spell and if you have 10 skill points in restoration you will likely not be successful in casting the spell. You can see how likely it is that you will be successful by looking at the numbers next to the spells in your spell list (right click and look in the bottom right box - the yellow spells are the spells you know). The first number is how much magicka it takes to cast. The second is your chance of success. If you're casting from a scroll, you'll always have 100% chance of success.

Like all other skills, you increase your magic-related skills by using them - casting spells, or by getting trained. I would advise if you have enough money to go get some training in specific spell skills if you're planning to be a casting-type character because it's difficult to increase them quickly only by casting spells.

To cast spells you need to go to your spell list and left click on the spell you want (either one you know, or from your list of scrolls/items). Then in the play screen the spell you chose will be in the box next to your current weapon (bottom left). Then to cast, press R and then left click. I'm thinking you must be trying to cast from scrolls in your inventory - that will only 'read' them as you're finding.

I hope that's useful [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2003, 12:38 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It was very useful, thank you [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I eventually figured out how to store spells in the quickslot menu (F1) but I was wondering exactly that which you explained, about certain skills in spell schools (e.g. why I was failing fireball constantly). Problem is I bought this game off E-bay without any manual so figuring I'd figure it all out easily enough as I go, I didn't think it really mattered. I was wrong obviously, the system takes some getting used to, but hey I'm getting there .

Oh btw, does armor have any effect on casting failure like it does in D&D? What about me wearing an armor im not skilled in, is that useless and so causes the armor to act like normal clothing?
Old 08-25-2003, 06:24 AM   #8
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

Wearing armor you're not skilled in still works as armor but the rating is very low. To raise the armorskill, buy some healing potions and let for example a mudcrab whack away on you and heal when needed. Also use some repair tools as your armor will gradually loose its durability.

Wearing armor has no effect on spellcasting.

C
Old 08-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #9
GForce

I like the third to see my guy sneak. looks so cool. you can also use a gamepad and map the mouse where you want. I recommend Logitech Wingman gamepad. Not the best analog stick feel but it has a superior game profiler to easily make and map any keys.