Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 03:03 AM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I got a lens cleaner for my retarded xbox and the problem still remains of the "your brand new disc is unreadable because it may be dirty!" I even used a disc cleaner on it with no results. So now I am going to do two things:
1) figure out how to open the thing and see if I can't fix it myself (my friend already sent it back to microsoft once so there's no reason why it should be broken again...) and
2)If I can't fix it, I'm going to buy a new one, but I don't want to lose the saves I have on this one...is there anyway to transfer the memory?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I believe that it is possible to change over the memmory(I assume you mean the hardrive) but It requires a significat ammount of fiddling and knowing what your doing, although I could be wrong, but the consoles will likeley not be as easy to swap HDD's as PC's are. Im sure there are a few people here that would know hoe to do it. The only other thing is that you will have to open your brand new one to do so, and in doing that, you will most likely void your warrenty.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

actually the easiest way is to buy a memory card. Save as much junk on it as you can transfer it to the other, delete put more on the memory card transfer, and keep on going, that's the easiest way I know. Good luck finding the memory cards though, I think they stopped making them cause they weren't selling. (go figure)

Edit: There is one problem though, the Knights of the Old Republic save files are too big to put on a memory card.

[ 10-13-2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: T/-/alali ]
Old 10-13-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

well...thats wonderful [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks anyway. I guess what I'll do is beat kotor on this one and then buy a new one for #2 and others
Old 10-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Sounds like a bad CD/DVD reader. The signal coming from the receiver is too weak. This can be caused by a weak/broken laser, light sensor, or amplifier stage coming from the light sensor. This stuff is all micro components or SMT, so getting a new CD/DVD reader is the only realistic option. If it's out of warranty, you may be able to buy the part. You are using original games and not CDR/DVDR ones, right? Recordable media have a lower reflectivity than pressed ones. CDRW/DVDRW have even lower reflectivity than that. This can cause a weak signal from the reader depending on the gain of the initial amplifier stage and the sensitivity of the light sensor. I'm assuming most game console engineers would design their readers to have trouble reading recordable media to prevent piracy if possible.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

yea, the disc is brand spanking new, and in any case the xbox does that with any xbox game new or old so i know it's not the discs

I noticed a couple days ago that sometimes the reader makes clicking noises (usually an indication it's going to crash on the next load scene) and unusual whirring sounds...I'm so close to beating KotOR though that I don't want to waste a week getting it fixed in which I can beat the game and buy a new one.

I went to some sites that show you how to open the box and remove all of its components, including the HDD...I considered buying a new one, cracking open both the old and new one and putting the old HDD in the new so I wouldn't lose my saves...but since that would void the warranty on my new one I decided no [img]tongue.gif[/img]