Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
vesselle
Hathor

okay... it can be any genre, any time period. it can be unfinished for any number of reasons, but please let us know why.

i actually have 2.

~number 1~
pool of radiance: ruins of myth drannor
you know the one... when you installed it, it went into the root of your C: drive, then upon uninstalling, it wiped your hard drive. at least the patch they rushed out fixed that situation, but NOTHING could fix the mind-numbing repetitive gameplay and mind-numbing repetitive graphics (the colors were muddy and i swear they used the same frikkin' mucky brown tileset on everything that was textured).
if you go to the site, check out how they worded the patch info on patch 1.1

~runner up~
gorasul
a german (i think) rpg that was just miserable:
~weird translation (you'd read a weird mix of german/english)
~numbing gameplay
~not much of a plot so thank god it was over in less than 2 hours.

the only thing going for it was the artwork.... and i think that's because they tried to copy the BIS games, planescape: torment and baldur's gate. still not nearly enough to redeem it.

so what's your list look like?

V***V
Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Myst: An interactive slideshow. I hated it.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Thou shalt not speak the name Myst without complete and utter reverence it is due! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I'd say... hmm... though question! I'll get back to you on this one...
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Anything that relies on massive amounts of repetitive gameplay and/or level grinding. It's quite possibly one of the worst things to happen to the RPG genre. And it's one of the reasons why I don't bother with MMO's.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Worst one I've ever had the misfortune of playing? Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business. Not plain ol JA2, which I have heard is excellent. No, this stand-alone expansion type thing. Its linear, impossible and not very entertaining at all.

If you ever want a laugh, go to Gamespot and sort their all-time reviews from worst score to best. Some of the low ones' reviews are outstanding - you wonder how these things got released.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

This was posted a bit back. Its called Big Rigs.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/b...ml?sid=6086528
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Fable!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, well there ar alot of games that I find miserable but the ones I actually tried to play without ignoring on the shelf:

Summoner:
Crap game that just is crap trying to be something other then crap but failed miserable!

Dungeon Siege
I know alot of people liked this one but I didn't. This yellow brick road games just made me feel like I was watching a screen saver. Sorry but the idea with games is that you should participate perhaps? And whats with those stupid looking awful hats???!!

Pariah
A shooter that could have been good turned into how to not make a FPS game. Booring, repetetive and consolly was the main ingredients. Didn't mather with upgradable weapons, fancy graphics. The story was so gods be damned bad that I have heard slurring vinos at the bus stand tell better stories.

Dai Katana - do I really have to explain?

Dungeon Lords
Worst demo ever, and from what I heard it didn't get any better with time and patches.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Lucern
Quintesson

Ahh, some good picks here. I'm with you True Moose, though I wouldn't cite that among the worst. The real impressive thing with Unfinished Business is that they took a spectacular turn-based strategy game, and the expansion took away everything that was good about it. Way to expand guys!

While in a very long meeting today, I remembered a candidate. Lords of Midnight 3. It was just astoundingly awkward. I'm not sure I ever figured it out. You'd get into these 'melee' fights, and it would be like hitting a nail with a two-handed sword - awkward. The troll would defeat your army of 300 because you couldn't get the sword to swing.

I have another candidate, a popular one, but hear me out: Neverwinter Nights when it first came out. It was above average, I guess. What puts it here is that my expectations for it were directly opposed to the shipped product. All the hype around it, including interviews, etc, sounded like this game was going to be phenomenal, or at the least a slick dungeons and dragons simulator. What shipped was closer to diablo with dialogue. I had been waiting for that game for like 5 years, and I played it for 5 weeks, trying to like it. I hear it's changed, mostly due to folks like Ziroc et al, but it can't have arrived to become the game I hoped it would be.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I've finally decided what I'm gonna say.
Doom 3. Yes, I nominate Doom 3 as the worst game ever. Far Cry looked and played better, and was more eerie, but had half the hardware requirements of D3. The net code is as unoptimized as they come, and the movement is bulky and clunky, making multiplayer a railgun heaven. It was just a bad bad game.