Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

lol, I think one of you guys (I suppose Tarlanon) should hold another contest, it would be the perfect way to encourage some new people to make some art...
Well just an Idea, I know it would get me cracking
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
Telwyn
Dungeon Master

I agree, I wasn't here for the last one, but I'd have a go at it if another one was run.
Telwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

hey, or maybe instead of an art contest, the community could hold a MOD making contest as in, see who can make the best MOD in a set period of time!
Well its just an idea, what do you guys think?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Sounds good to me! What are the parameters? I am gunning to do a mod.

-manikus
Old 04-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Been gone a while (the DSL connect was off, and now I'm on dial-up ). Time been busy, too. But I have been plotting for the mini-mod ideas I have and mebbe its time to put out some work! The mod idea is good one; even if you have a time limit (just for kicks, say a month...) and you don't finish it in that month; putting out some started but not finished mods might kick others in the pants to do some mods, too.

Plus, we could always do an "I started one who wants to finish it" thing.

SilentThief
Old 04-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
Telwyn
Dungeon Master

One idea is to run a mod making competition on a monthly basis. One person could moderate the competition (tally the votes and announce winners and so on) and the winner of each month's competition could announce the rules of the next one. The rules could be designed to promote creativity, such as stating that all PC's must be bugbears, or the mod must be have a setting of anthopomorphic characters and so on.

It's pretty easy to run too. The competition moderator would post the rules here each month and then people would announce their games as and when they are finished and people would simply vote, either by email or by just posting a reply here.

It's a pretty good way of firing creativity and it has the added bonus of motivating people and getting a few mods out there. I think the lack of finished mods for DC is one of the only things holding it back, since it is a superb engine and deserves a lot more interest.

Any thoughts on this?

[ 04-26-2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Telwyn ]
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Yes, I think that ANY reason that puts people to making mods at this point would be a good one (any reason short of threats, of course... "make mods...or else the cute little unicorn GETS IT!!!!")

What I mean is, even if the mods in question aren't finished mods; this kind of thing would put people to the test.

I've (just barely...) started on a mini-mod series set in my old PnP campaign, and I'll be putting the mini-mods out in installments just so I can get something done. The plan for what I'm doing is the first installment is going to be the "home setting" (frontier outpost and town of Redaina) and the first adventure. BUT the Town will introduce plot ideas and/or adventure opportunities that are in the next installments, and I already have quite a few...
I've already got the first adventure like 75% planned and now I have to get the time to make it happen (and that IS the hard part right now).
And for those who saw the mod ideas I had listed B4, I'm holding off on the other mod ideas such as the "ravenloft/gothic horror" style for now, until I get better at the whole process (I can do plot and plan, kinda can do art, and still messing with music).

Oh, and when we talked about contests B4 I mentioned this: I am messing with music for DC mod makers out there so I hopefully will have an example of some of that done here in the next couple weeks.

Juggling WAAAAAYYY too much with too little time;
SilentThief

[ 04-27-2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: SilentThief ]
Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

I'm all for it, but I don't quite get the monthly bit... Would it be an ongoing contest with a winner chosen out of whatever was entered that month, or would it be a new contest each month, i.e. May is mini-mod month, June is sci-fi mod month, etc? (I guess they aren't that different. )

So, who's running this thing, and where do we submit our entries? Who is going to pick the winner?

I'm pretty excited about this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-manikus
Old 04-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Telwyn
Dungeon Master

It would be a new competition each month (or every two months if we want to allow a bit more time) and the winner from the previous month would get to set the rules for the next competition.

So, lets say, just for instance, that Manikus, you won the first contest, you would email your rules to the competition moderator who would then post them up on the board for the next month.

I would be happy to kick things off, but I don't have any hosting space, so I guess the best option would be for people to simple post a link here to the mod for people to download. Then, everyone could have a week at the end of the competition to play the mods and cast their votes.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
manikus
Jack Burton

Now I get it. Sounds good to me. I think 5 weeks might be a good idea- 4 weeks to get the mod done and and one week for people to play. (just a thought)

Hosting is a problem- I won't be able to post any of my mods on my own sites, b/c of lack of space and file size restrictions (the trade-off for using free sites) but could post when I'm done and email it whomever is interested... or maybe CocoaSpud or Ziroc has room...

I'm ready for the rules.

-manikus