Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-16-2002, 10:04 AM   #21
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Well, I like it when a man is at least as tall as me or taller. I'm 170 cm, btw.
Hmm, what else... I really like nice, friendly eyes and I tend to like men with dark hair. I don't like it if a man is too thin, to big or too muscular. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Oooh, and I really like hands and arms. I like it when men have strong arms, not muscular like body-builders *shudder*, but just right. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 11:30 AM   #22
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

Been watching the threads about what "makes looks" for either gender (not going to comment on the one about women, I can't believe some of the guys who posted ever get dates). [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm curious about the height issue though. I'm asking the ladies here, what is it exactly about men who are a lot taller than you that you find so appealing?

I've noticed most men I know like women who are shorter and smaller than them, small and petite. Myself, I'm not particular, but I do like women my height with a medium frame and some meat on their bones. But that is just about the physical which is only part of what I'd look for in someone. The rest, personality, maturity, honesty and more must all be there along with physical chemistry.

But back to the height thing. Every now and then I try meeting women online, and its a real kick to read through the profiles and what they are looking for in men.

95% of them say "Tall, dark, handsome, over 6 ft" etc, etc. And in my day to day life, most women I meet talk about the same. I wonder, does it relate to the primal days of having a big strong mate who can't hunt and protect his family? With the advent of women's rights and more balance between the genders, has this changed? Doesn't seem like it has to me.

Well, I'm only 5' 9", and happy with who I am, so I'm not worried about living up to someone else's expectations. I'm just me, and I know I'll find a gal who appreciates that one of these days. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Curious to hear your thoughts. Great thread!

Scronan
Old 04-16-2002, 12:19 PM   #23
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

LOL... reading this topic I remembered translating something about exactly this subject (behavioural biology, I think it's called) - what makes men/women attractive - for a friend of my aunt's... 30 pages in all... luckily it's some time back otherwise I'd probably start talking about physical features which are signs of phenotypic quality or something similiar...

Anyways *cough* back to the subject. Being 5'1" tall, I have always considered boys around my height or just slightly taller too short, I'm used to being the shortest around and I *expect* everyone to be taller than me! However, too tall isn't good either - I don't want to get a crick in my neck simply LOOKING at someone! I personally consider overly muscled men ugly. They don't have to be thin, just not a bodybuilder muscle packet type thing . Friendly eyes - this is important [img]smile.gif[/img] . Don't really care about the hair color (somehow I get the impression that all the boys here have the same color hair, except for a few readheads or those who dye it ), although I despise gel (of course, every boy in my class uses it).
But of course, it is the character that counts above all. What good does the most handsome man do you if he's a complete idiot? And what will you do if the guy you love doesn't fit your description of perfection? Also, if you know someone well, then eventually you don't *see* them as handsome, beautiful or ugly - at least that's my experience. When I see my friend's face, I think of who she is, not what she looks like.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:41 PM   #24
Lioness
Jack Burton

Don't really have any specific preferences, nice eyes are a plus though. And a good smile. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 12:54 PM   #25
Lioness
Jack Burton

Oh, did I mention my Nomar? And Johnny Damon? And Trot Nixon...and Shea Hillenbrand...and Derek Lowe...

No more watching the Redsox for me.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:24 PM   #26
Charean
Hathor

I am with Lioness... I prefer expressive eyes and a smile that shows enjoyment of life.

Looks per se don't really matter much.... my first husband was PAINFULLY ugly. As long as there is a spark inside that shows on the outside, I am usually one to notice that.

I find it interesting how the men are so visual - looks get in the way of what is important - and the women talk of other qualities. Perhaps I am slightly partial........ nah. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 04:42 PM   #27
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Scronan:

I'm asking the ladies here, what is it exactly about men who are a lot taller than you that you find so appealing?

I wonder, does it relate to the primal days of having a big strong mate who can't hunt and protect his family? With the advent of women's rights and more balance between the genders, has this changed? Doesn't seem like it has to me.

Well, I'm only 5' 9", and happy with who I am, so I'm not worried about living up to someone else's expectations. I'm just me, and I know I'll find a gal who appreciates that one of these days. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Scronan
Hi Scronan!
For me, my attraction to taller men is definitely a liking for long legs...a guy doesn't necessarily have to be over 6 ft tall but ironically lol...the three men I was involved with through the course of the last twelve years were all over 6 ft (and long legged lol).

There is a guy at my school who is 5'7" and he seeks out women much shorter than me (he used me as an example in our conversation since I was the shortest woman present) because it makes him feel "like a bigger man".

I think Slackerboy described it best in Cloudy's height comparison thread when he said he liked a woman about the height of his chin..."so i can look down into her eyes and she can look up into mine."
There is a long history of romances portrayed in movies and T V that make that particular height difference seem to be the most romantic and that is what we are all looking for, if we haven't found it.
(romance, I mean, not someone of the perfect height lol).

I don't think you are at all far off in the observations of your primal protector theory...there is definitely more security standing behind a taller man than there is one who is shorter lol!
It has been a standard for as long as men and beasts have been around...survival of the fittest and having a mate who will provide you with children capable of surviving. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I would not consider 5'9" to be at all short...short in a man (to me) is one that is literally shorter than me...I think most women feel that way and that the advertisements that are looking for 6'+ men are placed by women who are pretty shallow if they are going to limit their options by never getting to know all you "average" height guys who have just as much potential to have it all.

[ 04-16-2002, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 04-16-2002, 05:09 PM   #28
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

Been watching the threads about what "makes looks" for either gender (not going to comment on the one about women, I can't believe some of the guys who posted ever get dates). [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm curious about the height issue though. I'm asking the ladies here, what is it exactly about men who are a lot taller than you that you find so appealing?

I've noticed most men I know like women who are shorter and smaller than them, small and petite. Myself, I'm not particular, but I do like women my height with a medium frame and some meat on their bones. But that is just about the physical which is only part of what I'd look for in someone. The rest, personality, maturity, honesty and more must all be there along with physical chemistry.

But back to the height thing. Every now and then I try meeting women online, and its a real kick to read through the profiles and what they are looking for in men.

95% of them say "Tall, dark, handsome, over 6 ft" etc, etc. And in my day to day life, most women I meet talk about the same. I wonder, does it relate to the primal days of having a big strong mate who can't hunt and protect his family? With the advent of women's rights and more balance between the genders, has this changed? Doesn't seem like it has to me.

Scronan
HI Scronan! Hey, at MY height (4'11") you are tall! Being yourself is the only way to go, in my book! Ladies, this one's a keeper..

Gotta say I agree with you about the other thread.. some of those guys may be lucky a female stands within 10 ft of them if they catch onto the preferences they are professing! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As for that 'primal' hunt/protect thing.. I think it may still be around in some way. I know I don't consciously think about it, but it does seem that the petite woman/tall man combination is a classic one. [img]smile.gif[/img] So I'd have to wonder if subconsciously we are still making some choices along those lines? I know when my honey enfolds me in his arms, I do feel extra safe, protected and get all warm n' fuzzy.. Hmmm.. think we ought to commission a study? LOL

[ 04-16-2002, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 04-16-2002, 05:17 PM   #29
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
quote:
Hi,

Gotta say I agree with you about the other thread.. some of those guys may be lucky a female stands within 10 ft of them if they catch onto the preferences they are professing! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]LOL I noticed that too. Guess we women are just the better sex after all *ducks* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Well like Cloudy, 5'9" is pretty tall to me, Scronan . I don't know, maybe it is a kind of protective thing - lots of men see it as their duty to protect their women and it's nice to have a man who's bigger and taller and who'll kill spiders no problem lol . Plus the whole shelf principle - I mean when I'm in the library sometimes I have ask tall guys as they're walking past to get books down from the top shelf for me, it'd be nice to have a full-time getter-downerer

[ 04-16-2002, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 04-16-2002, 05:23 PM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
LOL I noticed that too. Guess we women are just the better sex after all *ducks* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Well like Cloudy, 5'9" is pretty tall to me, Scronan . I don't know, maybe it is a kind of protective thing - lots of men see it as their duty to protect their women and it's nice to have a man who's bigger and taller and who'll kill spiders no problem lol . Plus the whole shelf principle - I mean when I'm in the library sometimes I have ask tall guys as they're walking past to get books down from the top shelf for me, it'd be nice to have a full-time getter-downerer [/QB]
ROTFL! How could I forget the whole spider-killing , Shelf-reaching thing!? Definitely. That must be part of it.. hehe.. Nice to have someone to say "Hey honeyyyyyyyyyyy... come be tall! " when you can't reach the box on the top shelf.