Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-10-2002, 11:52 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

Just overclocked my Athlon t-Bird CPU from 1.2Ghz to ~1.7. Not bad for $150! I don't know if this has any relevance to anyone, but kinda proud of it myself. Managed to get my Geforce3 up to 225/525. Completely useless for realworld applications, but heh, it's cool. It's Friday night and I'm overclocking my computer! Do I have a life or what! So what's everyone else doing on Friday night?
Old 05-11-2002, 05:05 AM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

I went out and got quite drunk with my sister and her husband. I've just woken up in the way one usually does after a night of loud music, cigarettes and alcohol. You may doubt if you have a life, Animal, but I'm beginning to wish that I'd stayed home and done some computer-tweaking... [img]graemlins/2puke.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2002, 06:38 AM   #3
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Well, I have work this morning, so I was desperately avoiding sleep so I can go to work, then get on a plane and fly to San Francisco (and hopefully sleep on the plane).
Old 05-11-2002, 07:07 AM   #4
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Stayed in and revised catalytic cycles, how to make c=c bonds and the synthesis of steroids. Oh, and I worked out how to make Ibruprofen (only 50 years to late there). - I think I win the most boring Friday evening award.

BTW if you want a challenge, I believe someone has overclocked their P4 2.4Ghz to 4Ghz. Or you could always try to fry an egg on your processor.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 05-11-2002, 07:15 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

You spent the 150 buying stuff or was that 150 paid for them to overclock your PC? IMO you can do it yourself... buying a larger fan, and then applying this Arctic Cream over your processor will do the trick, given your mother board can handle it...

I would want to overclock my processor, but my mothernoard won't handle it... maybe my GeForce 2, but then I am lazy to overclock my pc since it is giving me great vibes of appreciation of my taking care of her [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2002, 09:46 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Be careful o the temperatures, athlons dont like going above 80 and shoudnt run above 60 for a long period of time. With overclocking this severe id be extremely careful about monitoring it. Unless you built yourself n oil cooler, something i plan to do when i get the bits.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:49 PM   #7
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I don't really remember all of what I did last night. I do know that I just woke up and it's 2:30 PM out here and I'm still drunk. I think I remember a bar somewhere, then an apartment...oh well. It's all whiskey under the bridge.

As far as your computer goes, I'm surprised you could take a T-Bird up to 1.7. You'd better watch your voltage. I'm sure you have to have it pretty high to get a 500 mhz overclock. You're beggin to fry your cpu. Also watch your heat.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-11-2002, 07:18 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

THe $150 was the price of the cpu and the volcano heat sink/fan combo. CPU temp is between 35C and 40C depending on what I'm doing. I doubt I'll keep it up that high, as my PCI is running at about 40MHZ and my AGP is well over 70, so it's probably going to cause some grief for me in the long run, but it's interesting to see just what the limit is for some of these CPU's. 4GHZ from a Northwood p4. What kind of cooling is being used for that. Must be some sort of water cooling to get that kind of overclock. If anyone is looking for a new vid card, I would suggest AOpen if you're interested in getting a little extra speed out of it. My Aopen card has huge heatsinks and the memory, which certainly helps.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:57 PM   #9
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Those are great temps for such a big overclock! As long as you didn't have to bump your voltage up too high then I'd leave it where it is as long as it's running stable.

What kinda scores are you pulling in 3d mark?
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-11-2002, 08:01 PM   #10
Animal
Gold Dragon

My last 3dMark2001 was 8502. That's with my system as it stands right now. I used to be 100% Intel, but tried this t-bird and I can honestly say I'm impressed. I don't know how the p4 performs, but price for price and I can see why amd took such a big chunk of the market away from Intel. Now if AMD would stop using those silly naming conventions. Reminds me of the old cyrix trick of PR rating their chips.