Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 01:37 PM   #101
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Disgusting and completely irrelevant comment, MagiK. I for one don't mind donating money, but I strongly oppose to the elitist system idea. Why? Because it will most certainly destroy the friendly "everyone is equal and so is the value of their opinions" atmosphere around here...

Anyways, Ziroc, I've just used Paypal for the first time ever to make a donation, but how do I know the money transfer has been successful? [/QB]
Unfortunately, I have to agree.

You know Magik, many people give money and don't ASK for perks. I've done that myself, so your lecture on captialism is lost on the crowds. Frankly I find the expectaion of perks for monetary consideration a little disgusting. Why do those who want to HELP make this place a better one or simply a stable site, need proof they have money to send? Nobody sent me a Gold Star for my last two dontations and I didn't want one. I know two members who have given quite large amounts and they don't have huge sigs saying I"M A HUGE donator to IW emblazoned on their posts so everyone will be in awe. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And as far as I can see, Saz said if a system showing favoritism to one set of members over another based on MONETARY donations was set in place he'd leave. NOT that he begrudges Z the funds to run IW! That was a pretty low blow, Magik, and really not like your usual style.

See how a discussion of MONEY has already gotten heated? Imagine what would happen if people got special privileges... the discussions would only get hotter and more unpleasant.. .but then again, many wouldn't even bother talking, they'd just leave and that would be a shame no matter HOW you look at things.

[ 05-08-2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-08-2002, 01:44 PM   #102
Beltazar
Zhentarim Guard

You are so right cloudy, I just posted a post (...) like that, But ssaying everything would be "different" between the people. I don't blame saz for what he says... He sticks to what he thinks right for him, and I actually agree. It wouldn't be a great idea to lose him just for the "personal/avatar" donating money coincidence. We should just be abel to donate if we want to, without getting any special privliges and be able to be one big happy family
Old 05-08-2002, 01:52 PM   #103
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I agree that ranks should not be bought, but the special avatars ...I just cannot see that as being unreasonable...by using the logic against the avatars, you would prevent any sale of hats or t-shirts as well..because those whou couldn't afford them would have their feelings hurt....I really dont know how people who think like that manage to make it through the day..I mean people who have things we do not are all around us....[/QB]
Uh? HUH? Magik that makes no sense! LOL How the heck would I know if you bought a teeshirt? Would you wear it every time you posted? And tell me you were wearing it? [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I WOULD know if you bought an avatar on the board! I'd see it in all your posts. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I make it through my day just fine...I dont' ponder the net worth of those I deal with
Old 05-08-2002, 01:53 PM   #104
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
It was neither disgusting nor irreverant...and why should I revere you? It was an accurate assessment based on 5 pages of posts that I have stayed out of. All I see here are people browbeating on others who are trying to find ways to help Z make money to pay for the bandwidth that we greedy lil net-pigs suck up. While in YOUR universe everything comes free....but here in the real world we are asked to start paying our fair share in measures that we can afford. So don't get all high and mighty with me.

Suit yourself. If I understood it right, you were generalizing and brandmarking those who oppose the elitist avatar system as people who don't care about generating money for Ziroc, which is the biggest nonsense possible. You weren't showing any respect for those who don't support the same ideas as you do, again.[/QUOTE]Yes I did generalize..I had to..I could not possibly address 4 pages of posts in one single post. No I do not mean that anyone who thinks that paying for personalized accounts of some sort is catagoricly wrong. What I am saying is the rationalle is wrong! Not everyone's just the ones who are worried about the "haves and Have nots" If Z can raise the needed cash in some other way thats fine, but we should not tie his hands and say, go broke or risk loosing your users.

Old 05-08-2002, 01:56 PM   #105
Lord Shield

how about anybody that donates gets to kiss this

[ 05-08-2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Lord Shield ]

Old 05-08-2002, 02:01 PM   #106
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
quote:
I agree that ranks should not be bought, but the special avatars ...I just cannot see that as being unreasonable...by using the logic against the avatars, you would prevent any sale of hats or t-shirts as well..because those whou couldn't afford them would have their feelings hurt....I really dont know how people who think like that manage to make it through the day..I mean people who have things we do not are all around us....
Uh? HUH? Magik that makes no sense! LOL How the heck would I know if you bought a teeshirt? Would you wear it every time you posted? And tell me you were wearing it? [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I WOULD know if you bought an avatar on the board! I'd see it in all your posts. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I make it through my day just fine...I dont' ponder the net worth of those I deal with [/QB][/QUOTE]Hehe Come on work with me here [img]smile.gif[/img] Seriously? You don't see my point? If I understand what you were saying (and I agree with portions of the rest of the post) You were saying that if you could have special avatars, then people who could not pay would be jealous because they could not have the avatars and be hurt....well wouldnt the same thing happen if say..you got your T-shirt and posted in public.."Thanks Z I got the Shirt, it is sooooo cool!" There will be many posts about them and all those who did not get T-shirts would then feel left out.....see my point here?? This leaves Z only the Banner ad option, and which if it would supply the needed cash..thats fine...but I just don't think it will.....I could be wrong and willingly admit it. My real desire is to find ways that Z can make the needed cash supply for this place because I love it and don't want it to go the way of ohh so many other places that died for lack of proper funding. If (and it is a big IF) I were a independantly wealthy personage I would most likely donate the bandwidth gratis because I believe in this place so much....unfortunately my chances of achieving this goal are rather slim.

Old 05-08-2002, 02:03 PM   #107
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
how about anybody that donates gets to kiss this
Mmmmm Yummies

Old 05-08-2002, 02:08 PM   #108
Lord Shield

And those who don't donate get to kiss this

Old 05-08-2002, 02:14 PM   #109
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
And those who don't donate get to kiss this
*Quickly makes a huge donation [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] *
Old 05-08-2002, 02:16 PM   #110
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] FF you are certifiably loony!

Magik, sure, we might say we bought shirts, but we'd be buying SHIRTS not priviliges on our shared board.... see, I don't think the kids who have no income would care so much about that as they would the COOL avatar that they couldn't have but saw every time they jumped onto IW. I don't know, it's just my take on this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And if anyone thinks that Cloudy doesn't want to see IW flourish, think again! [img]smile.gif[/img] I haven't hung out here over a year now, just to see her sink for lack of bandwidth! [img]smile.gif[/img] BANNERS are really the least intrusive and objectionable means to do that, in my opinion.