Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-12-2001, 07:39 AM   #1
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

Could someone tell me why when you start a game it gives you a diffrent number of stats each time. I have seen from 75 to 87. What's the point ?

If you assign 10 to each stat that decreases by 60. Giving you charictor stats that can look like this:

Strength:10
Dexterity:17
Constitution:10
Inteligance:18
Wisdom:10
Charisma:10

or this:

Strength:10
Dexterity:18
Constitution:15
Inteligance:18
Wisdom:16
Charisma:10
Old 03-12-2001, 07:47 AM   #2
Altranan
Dungeon Master

I think it's because it's meant to be a random number generator based upon dice rolls? Surely, there's more point to that than having every character potentially the same?
Old 03-12-2001, 07:55 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

I am sure that there are others who can explain better than I can, but here goes:

All the initial stats are based on imaginary dice rolls (in a pen & paper RPG you have several varying shape dice to do this - a 4 sided, a 6 sided, 10 sided, 20 sided etc.). The computer simulates this, so each stat rolled is random.

The numbers which any stat can be between varies according to race and class. For example: Humans can have a max of 18 in any stat, and a minimum of 3.

So the initial 'roll' randomly generates a number between 3 and 18 for each stat. This is also adjusted for class of character - a Bard must have Charisma of minimum 15 for example, so the Charisma stat will never start out below 15.

The best method I find for starting a character is to keep rerolling your stats until you get a good high score overall. 90 is IMO a good roll. Then adjust the stat for each attribute using the + and - buttons so that if you have a fighter you put more on strength and less on wisdom.

Elves can have 19 max dexterity, but only 17 constitution. Bear the different race modifiers in mind when choosing your race & class.

Final point for Fighters:
The Strength stat is important. For Fighters put it at 18. You will then get a second number (eg. 18/93 or 18/21) This only happens for the Fighter class (single or multi). The higher the second number the better (18/00 is the best you can get). You get more bonuses to damage when you hit an enemy if you have a high second number, and be able to carry more loot. If you roll what seem like really good stats but when you put your strength up to 18 you only get 18/05, then reroll until you also get a high second number. This takes a bit of fiddling about, but it is worth persisting to get good stats.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:59 AM   #4
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

So in theory I could be lucky and gett all stats at 18 ? Well if it possible then I guess shoving them all up to 18 with shadow keeper is ok ?
Old 03-12-2001, 08:38 AM   #5
Rip Slaughter
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Potentially, yes you could get 18 for each attribute. However why would you want to do this? surely the nature of this game is to have varying attributes to make it a bit more challenging. OK you may have a high figure for your strength if you are a fighter, but its a bit wasted if you have a high intelligence.... When have you known super high intelligence in a fighter, thats why they became a fighter in the first place. If they hade been highly intelligent they would have got someone else to fight for them!

Thats my opinion anyway.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:50 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Dave:
So in theory I could be lucky and gett all stats at 18 ? Well if it possible then I guess shoving them all up to 18 with shadow keeper is ok ?
Well, yes, if you wanted to sit there and re-roll for a year, maybe you'll eventually get all 18s.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-12-2001, 08:58 AM   #7
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

Besides the game has included enghouh magical items to compensate for most of your caracter's weakneses. Some text Options with npc's are dependant on the Charisma, intelligence and wisdom. Having a Tank player isn't always fun, tring to survive with a weaker caracter is alot of fun.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:59 AM   #8
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

First of all, Epona, your explanation was thorough and excellent !

Sorcerer Dave,

In Shadowkeeper nothings prevents you from setting all scores to 25. After all, you are the son of a god, right ? But where would there be the challenge of beating the game, if you did ?

If you are in the process of creating a new character and are unsure how to distribute the points for a certain class, go ahead, and ask us, what a balanced and enjoyable character statwise for that class is.

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-12-2001, 09:45 AM   #9
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

Final point for Fighters:
The Strength stat is important. For Fighters put it at 18. You will then get a second number (eg. 18/93 or 18/21) This only happens for the Fighter class (single or multi). The higher the second number the better (18/00 is the best you can get). You get more bonuses to damage when you hit an enemy if you have a high second number, and be able to carry more loot. If you roll what seem like really good stats but when you put your strength up to 18 you only get 18/05, then reroll until you also get a high second number. This takes a bit of fiddling about, but it is worth persisting to get good stats.

FYI, with the third edition rules, you no longer get the 18/ anything. It is just 18.

BK