Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Choc Help me decide between LCD TVS - 32"/37"/40"? 720p/1080p?

G'day all, I'm planning to get rid of my old 20" CRT and get myself a flat panel TV, most likely an LCD. My options are (all Samsungs, because I like Samsung):

1. 32" 720p LCD - $800 approx. at Circuit City
2. 37" 720p LCD - $1150 approx. at Best Buy
3. 40" 720p LCD - $1100 approx. at Circuit City
4. 40" 1080p LCD - $1450 approx. at Best Buy

Here's what I'll mainly be using for:

a ) use as a computer monitor (I got a new Dell XPS M1530 with 1440x900 res)
b ) watching normal (i.e. not Blu Ray) DVDs
c ) watching normal and HD programming from my cable connection
d ) watching lower-rez cricket and rugby downloads from the internet (these stream at lower resolutions than the native resolutions of the TVs)

Also, it will be going into my apartment, and I will be sitting approx. 10 feet from the screen.

Based on all that, what would you recommend? I was initially going to get a 32" but then I though about getting a bigger size to future-proof the purchase. I looked at 40" and it kind of looked big for my place - 37" is probably the best size, but it's more expensive than a 40"! Then I started thinking, should I get 1080p? But given what I'll be watching, will that be overkill? In fact, will a 40" be overkill? I heard that if you watch normal programming on a 1080p (or those streamed internet media files) it looks pretty bad - some of the streamed stuff I watch on my 19" LCD monitor look pretty bad on full screen, I can imagine how bad they would look blown up on a 40".

My original budget was about $1000, then I pushed it up to $1200 when I thought about getting a bigger size - but any money I save will go towards getting a decent pair of speakers for the TV.

Comments please!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Help me decide between LCD TVS - 32"/37"/40"? 720p/1080p?

Choice number 2 or 3 are fine. Too big a monitor is overkill imo. I got a big widescreen lcd monitor recently that I could just have easily done without to be perfectly honest. I mean, I like it but there is no real need. Obviously you are checking the ms so you don't get ghosting in games, other than that you are good to go.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

For a TV, this is a good model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889187048

I own the this 24inch monitor below, and its a god. It even does 1080p (Has HDMI, DVI, Comp, and other hookups)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16824014124R

(That links to an open box, so don't get it.. they make a newer one at 5ms now below)
I like my stand better than this new looking one.. but hey, no biggie. And it looks like this doesn't go vertical. (I moved mine vertical, and played the MAME 80's games--centipede, donkey Kong, and that was the exact way they were in the arcades, it was so killer. (Mame even has options for tilting screens, and can rotate the screen to match!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014158

Just remember, LCD is a bit hotter than Plasma. You may hear the fans in it if you are in a quite room. Shop Newegg, if nothing but some testimonials and cons.
Oled's are coming too, but you'll pay out your ass for the newness factor.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Just did some shopping for new tv a few months ago and we ended up with a 42 inch plasma (Panasonic), based on reviews we'd seen and our personal preferences. Mainly the plasmas are good in darker rooms, better for action movies and such (higher contrasts). We didn't go with 1080p (more expensive) mainly as all the reputable reviewers (Consumer Reports, CNet etc) said you really don't get much benefit from it under 50 inches so it's not worth it.

LOL, we were looking at 50+ inch models but the space we have for it wouldn't accomodate anything higher than 42. And we sit about 8-10 feet from it, so I can tell you, it's plenty big enough!

LCD's were supposed to be better in highly lit areas and for computer usage but I didn't do as much checking on them after we decided on plasma- our main reason for that is the viewing field is wider (you can look at it from farther to the side) on plasmas in general- no distortion.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

So you guys reckon 32" is a bit small?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

For tv watching and gaming, yes a bit.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

For TV? Oh yeah.. With that Microsoft payout they agreed on (when they reneged on the buyout of Ironworks) I bought a 51 inch projection HDTV in 2002 (Hitachi, which in projection, they rule) 1080p didn't exist then, and I don't mind really.. but yeah, you will want at least a 41+ inch TV if you're mainly going to use it for watching DVDs/TV, but remember, using it for a computer, its not a good idea--text is way hard to see even in HD via PC.. (at least for PS3's it is, you gotta zoom in to see small text).

Base the size on how far you will be from the monitor/TV.. If you have a smaller room, 51 inches or less is good, anything else will be overkill.. I COULD have bought a 62 inch TV back then, but they said it would look odd, and you can even get vertigo dunno about THAT, but yeah, we have a good size, and I even took the back off, dusted the 3 huge motherboards in there, and the 3 lenses as well. But projection TV's are being phased out now. (selling wise).

If anyone can answer this question--with projection TV's, you have to align the Red and blue grid any time you move it, as the magnetic alignment will shift the lenses guidance. Do LCD or Plasma need this alignment as well? (Our TV is 6 years old now, and I keep it aligned perfectly, and the colors/blacks, whites and picture quality are freaking amazing in HD!). And FINALLY, channels are getting their act together and adding their HD channels. I'm STILL waiting for Brighthouse cable to add HD Sci-Fi channel. (to see Stargate Atlantis and BSG in HD).

I *LOVE* the Science Channel HD!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey man whatcha doing with your old 20" CRT? Does it support 1600x1200. I'd love a cheap (very! i'm on the worlds tightest budget) 2nd monitor so hit me back if you don't have plans for it yet.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Hey man whatcha doing with your old 20" CRT? Does it support 1600x1200. I'd love a cheap (very! i'm on the worlds tightest budget) 2nd monitor so hit me back if you don't have plans for it yet.
I was just going to throw it out as I doubt I could get more than $30 for it. It's a TV btw, not a monitor...

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well I would not go any thing less the 42". And you have to get the 1080p.

720p is like 8 track in about 3 more months. And if your going to invest that much money. What is another few 100 bucks.

I bought the 42" sony baveria1080p(LCD since I have loads of sunlight) 2 years ago. I sit about 10 to 12 feet away and i find it a little small. But the hd is simply amazing. I mean watching hockey and you see the marks left from the players.

Good luck hunting for a t.v. Rember in about 6 months all those prices you are looking at are going to drop a few 1oo bucks. So there is the option of waiting a wee bit longer.